PDA

View Full Version : Basing Mordheim models.

TheHood
02-02-2006, 09:11
Sorry for what may seem like a kind of stupid question, but I've been out of the loop for a long time.

Im just wondering if, when it comes to playing Mordheim, does it matter what size or shaped bases you use on your models?

I haven't played anything GW in ages, and I've been roped into playing games of Mordheim. I've got my eye on making up an Undead warband, and when models don't actually have to rank up in units and such, I much prefer to base them on round bases (couldn't tell you why, I just think round bases look nicer on single models than square ones)

Am I able to do this, or would it affect any rules etc?

Also, to save writing up another post, I've been itching to paint up a Strigoi Vampire for ages. Do you think people would mind if i used him instead of a Von Carstein Vampire? If I base my background on a Strigoi Vampire and his followers hunting down others for sport in the ruins.

Would people object to this do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

McMullet
02-02-2006, 10:08
I can't see any issue with different base shapes in Mordheim. As you say, square bases are only an issue where models have to rank up; round bases are probably more convenient for skirmish games than square. There's no mentionof it in the rules.

As far as I'm aware, the undead warband doesn't specify von Carstein vampires, but even if it does, I'm sure noone will take issue with you using a Strigoi. Adding in a few homebrew rules (as long as they're sensible) shouldn't be a problem either, if you want a bit of extra flavour.

Oh, also, INTERNATIONAL RESCUE WILL BE DESTROYED!!!

squiggoth
02-02-2006, 11:01
I find it's best to stay as close to the 'official' base size as possible for things like blocking small streets and alleys, blocking Line of Sight and determining how many models can get in base contact.

Shape shouldn't be too much of an issue I guess - Necromunda seems to work fine on round ones. ;)

As for using a Strigoi instead of a Von Carstein, why not? After a few battles both bloodlines kick equal **** ... IIRC, there's also some skills that are fitting for a Strigoi (Resilient, Sprint). Let his claws count as some kind of weapons though - unarmed combat is no fun.
To stay even more in the Strigoi-theme, you could represent your Dregs with Gravediggers or Necrophiles.

Griefbringer
02-02-2006, 11:11
Well, if you are also playing WHFB then basing the models on square bases of appropriate size allows you to play with them in both games.

However, if you are using them just for Mordheim, I see nothing wrong in basing them on round bases of approximately same size, it should not have a significant effect on the game.

Shadowheart
02-02-2006, 11:31
Base size and shape can have an effect, but it's pretty minimal at the best of times. While inevitably someone out there is going to take issue with whatever you do, I'd let you go ahead. I've based all my Mordheim models on 25mm rather than 20mm bases for added stability and room for base detailing.

While the background only mentions the agents of the Carsteins going to Mordheim, it wouldn't be hard to make up a story for a Strigoi ending up there.

NetDiver
03-02-2006, 11:24
My undead warband's vampire is a Strigoi. I gave him two swords to represent his claws and light armour to represent his tough nature. All these equipment were bought at the start of the warband and my gaming group decided that the Strigoi could never buy new equipment nor could he lose any of his equipment due to captivity or something else.

TheHood
05-02-2006, 09:22
Cool, thanks for all the replies guys.

I've decided to base everything on round bases, as I finally got the rulebook back this week and models have 360 degree line of sight, so it doesn't really effect anything ruleswise. The only thing that did dawn on me was that i was going to base my Dire Wolves (Chaos Hound models) on the large round bases, but these are heaps bigger in terms of space than standard Warhammer Cavalry bases. Would that be an issue do you think?

RE: NetDiver - I kinda figured on doing the same sort of thing - although I may equip my Vampire with a sword, background wise it would be more that he has the ability to parry with his claws than have an actually sword. And it makes converting needless :D

RE: McMullet :p Smartass!

Odin
05-02-2006, 12:52
I would generally suggest that you decide amony your gaming group what bases to use. If everyone uses round bases that's great, but one of my opponents has round bases, and the rest of us have standard bases, and although it's not a huge problem, it does make things a bit difficult, especially when you have lots of combats going on near each other and it's much harder to easily identify who is fighting who.

NetDiver
06-02-2006, 19:05
RE: NetDiver - I kinda figured on doing the same sort of thing - although I may equip my Vampire with a sword, background wise it would be more that he has the ability to parry with his claws than have an actually sword. And it makes converting needless :D

This is just what meant. My wording was a bit off at my last post :D. My strigoi vampire has two swords and light armour to represent his bloodline, the mini is the GW's own strigoi vampire with no converting. BTW, I also use round 25mm bases for my Mordheim warband models.

Sonofsigmar
13-02-2006, 04:40
I had the same stirogi, minus the armour leading my ghoul pack. For my Necromancer, I modeled a ghoul shaman. The rest of my warband was ghouls. It was kind of tough in the begining with just 2 heroes, but eventually I got some lads got talent and the whole band got moving pretty quickly.