PDA

View Full Version : Best army for an introduction game?

Nuada
11-01-2010, 12:00
I've had a few games of warmaster now, and love it. One of my friends is fed up with his WHFB dwarf and vampire armies. He really likes the background to both races, but doesn't enjoy playing them in WHFB. I've suggested he tries warmaster. We'll use pieces of card.

I'm guessing he'll choose either dwarfs or vampire counts.
My question is..... "are dwarfs doomed to fail in warmaster because they have no cavalry?"

I've heard a few people say cavalry is great in warmaster. I've written a 2k list up for him, this is what i'm thinking of;

General, orb of majesty
Hero
Hero
Runesmith
4 units Warriors ....(total of 12 stands) one has sword of fate
3 units Warriors .....(total of 9 stands)
2 units Troll slayers ....(total of 6 stands)
2 units Troll slayers .....(total of 6 stands)
2 units of handgunners .....(total of 6 stands)
1 unit of cannons ..........(total of 2 stands)
2 units of gyrocopters
1 flame cannon

Please note.... It's not really an army list about winning, neither of us are interested in winning. I haven't put that list up for that reason. We're after an entertaining game with tactical maneuvers involved. I'm after a list he'll enjoy. :)

I've tried to give him alot of options with movement, so he doesn't just sit back and shoot (i think that's why he's bored with warhammer), and i figured dwarf infantry has the same movement rate as elf/human infantry in warmaster. All those slayer units have to be individual units of 3 stands. Gyrocopters whizzing around could be good, although i have to say they don't look amazing on paper. Maybe i'm wrong.
What do you think? is it more interesting than the WHFB version of dwarfs?

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance :)

Cpt. Drill
11-01-2010, 12:27
Dwarfs were my first army and they are great to learn with! Great command so you can generally get the orders you want to, rock hard infantry so you can afford a few mistakes and cannons to force your opponent to come to you.

There are a few changes I think you should make. In order of them in the list...

The orb of majesty has changed alot since the book as it was way over powered. I would not bother with it as its is easy to become dependant on it to make plays. Generally best avoided I think.

Drop a hero, you dont need so many characters in a leadership 10 army. One general, a runesmith and a hero should be plenty. I find I do most of my orders with my general anyway in the force.

Ditch the Thunderers and maybe a some of the warriors and max out on rangers. These are your only troops that you can persue cavelry with. They are really important for dwarves to have something to counter anything other than infantry.

Maybe...

Drop a gyrocoptor and put in another unit of cannons, two gyro copters can be good for command penalties on your opponents army. Two units of cannons are really good offensive weapons and can in theory cripple an enemy unit a turn. Units will flee from line of sight of these guys as they are just so deadly.

Possibly slide in another flame cannon because they are so cheap and do so much damage, keep them carefuly screened and they will reward you greatly!

If you want a more mobile force you can take no artillary at all. The dwarf commando force as its known is really great. Its very mobile and is filled with great units. Possibly adding in some more troll slayers to this force will make things more entertaining as they have some real hitting power. Also if you get them to charge any monsters you are laughing!

Warmaster dwarfs are alot more fun than warhammer ones (My warhammer dwarf army inspired my warmaster one) This is to do with having the best leadership in the game which makes them far more mobile than you would imagine. you can comfortably get 2-3 orders a turn out of your dwarfs which means you can rocket around the place with minimal problems. Also when it comes to the crunch and both armies have collided dwarfs command great up close. Once again thanks to the high leadership they dont need to worry about any command penalties that might cause lesser generals to fail important charges and the like.

Hope this helps.

Nuada
11-01-2010, 14:32
Warmaster dwarfs are alot more fun than warhammer ones (My warhammer dwarf army inspired my warmaster one) This is to do with having the best leadership in the game which makes them far more mobile than you would imagine. you can comfortably get 2-3 orders a turn out of your dwarfs which means you can rocket around the place with minimal problems.

Yes that's true. I like how WM dwarfs are fast because of their high leadership. I think my friend will much prefer the warmaster version. :)
Thanks for that Cpt. Drill, some good advice. I shall take it all onboard and look at my list again. :D

azraelezekiel
11-01-2010, 17:31
max out rangers (they are your cavalry destroyers along with artillery) and add magic items to mop up spare points rather than choose them before your troops.
Keep your artillery protected and try to use your gyros as a mobile artilery unit keeping them out of range of any cav.

Shrapnelsmile
01-03-2010, 23:45
as for the cavalry concern, use some victory conditions (objectives) that only infantry can take. This prevents the cavalry-swarm in my game club.