PDA

View Full Version : WoTR lists needed!

szlachcic
11-01-2010, 13:16
I recently acquired a WoTR rulebook and think the game looks like a lot of fun. I am mainly a WFB and 40k player, so mostly dismissed the LoTR releases in the past, but after checking them out recently I was surprised to see how many plastics were now in the range and the quality looked good. Now, I don't know of anyone around my area that plays, but I have a group of friends that come over sometimes to play and would love to have two small armies to learn the game with (and possibly inspire them to buy their own models).

I have read most of the rules and looked over the various army lists already, but really need some help figuring out what to buy first. I have decided that I would like to have the classic match-up between Gondor and Mordor. To start with I would prefer not to have any Allies until the armies grow larger in which case I will probably add some Rohan and Fallen Realms.

I was wondering if anyone with WoTR experience could share a few good beginner 500 and/or 750 point lists. Lower cost is also a big plus as I am building the two at the same time.

Sedge
11-01-2010, 13:54
WotR is a great alternative to WFB. That is what I used to play. (for 25 years:wtf:)

I have found the games to be fast, exciting and representative of historical battles with the ebb and flow and ability to execute grand tactical manovers.

Mordor and Gondor are two classical adverseries with both having competive builds. Almost anything works in WotR so if you want wizards and Heros, go for it; if you want hordes , again go for it! It will still work.

I will leave the actual army selection to wiser heads than mine. I hope you get some opponets.

p.s. WotR is a very economical system to get into as it is very cheap to pick up all the plastics you need on ebay. Most of the heros are also plentiful as well. Bid for larger auctions to get a bargin. Enjoy:)

szlachcic
11-01-2010, 15:34
WotR is a great alternative to WFB. That is what I used to play. (for 25 years:wtf:)

I have found the games to be fast, exciting and representative of historical battles with the ebb and flow and ability to execute grand tactical manovers.

Mordor and Gondor are two classical adverseries with both having competive builds. Almost anything works in WotR so if you want wizards and Heros, go for it; if you want hordes , again go for it! It will still work.

I will leave the actual army selection to wiser heads than mine. I hope you get some opponets.

p.s. WotR is a very economical system to get into as it is very cheap to pick up all the plastics you need on ebay. Most of the heros are also plentiful as well. Bid for larger auctions to get a bargin. Enjoy:)

Thanks for the comments, from what I could gather from the rules it looks like a nice alternative to Fantasy just like you describe. I will be sure to check out eBay like you recommend to find some deals on the models.

One more question, as stated above I am looking for 500 and/or 750 point lists, what game size it good for beginners, but still gives you a good feel for the game?

Update: Would the following two lists meet my needs?

750pt. Gondor
Faramir
Minas Tirith Warriors - 4 companies, Captain, Hornblower (extra points)
Rangers of Gondor - 3 companies
Minas Tirith Knights - 3 companies
Osgiliath Veterans - 4 comapanies
Avenger Bolt Thrower

750pt. Mordor
Gothmog
Morannon Orc Warband - 4 companies, shields, Captain, Banner
Morannon Orc Warband - 4 companies, shields, Captain
Mordor Orc Warband - 6 companies, wargear upgrade (haven't chosen which)
Warg Rider Warband - 3 companies, shields
Mordor Troll

I wasn't really sure what to get as far as command upgrades, so I grabbed Captains where possible, then banners, and finally instruments when I had the points. I wasn't really sure what to equip the Mordor Orcs or the Warg Riders with, but I have the points for any possible configuration as they cost the same. I figured the poor shooting of the orcs would make it silly to equip them with bows and instead have shields for the warg riders, and either shields or two-handed weapons for the mordor orcs. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Edonil
11-01-2010, 22:30
Those are actually excellent starter armies. 750 seems to be a good point value to start at. I would recommend moving one of the captains in the Mordor list to the Mordor Orcs, they'll need one. Also, give them two-handed weapons- they'll die in droves, but do tons of damage.

Your Gondor list is quite good as well, I don't really have any critiques for that one myself.

As another note- Welcome to the game!

Xelee
12-01-2010, 00:22
Hi szlachcic, presumeably the Gondor list is based around boxes (hence the three Coys of knights) so you will have enough figs for one more company of warriors/bow?

By my calculations, you have 35pts spare if you don't take the hornblower. They could easily be either another company of Osgiliath Vets or possibly a banner for the Cav. The Cav are going to be a bit of a 'one hit wonder' though, so I'd give the points to the Vets.

Orc shooting with bow is actually pretty good (the skill isn't a big factor, it comes down mainly to models and range) but Osigiliath Vets are the only shooting formation I'd want that big. I have a healthy amount of respect for orcs with 2H Weapon, given their numbers and +2 dice in support, so I think that is the way to go. If you have the models, another company of the orcs would be more useful than a banner for the foot, IMO.

szlachcic
12-01-2010, 03:30
Those are actually excellent starter armies. 750 seems to be a good point value to start at. I would recommend moving one of the captains in the Mordor list to the Mordor Orcs, they'll need one. Also, give them two-handed weapons- they'll die in droves, but do tons of damage.

Your Gondor list is quite good as well, I don't really have any critiques for that one myself.

As another note- Welcome to the game!

Ok, I will move one of the captains over to the Mordor Orcs and give them two-handed weapons. Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions!

Hi szlachcic, presumeably the Gondor list is based around boxes (hence the three Coys of knights) so you will have enough figs for one more company of warriors/bow?

By my calculations, you have 35pts spare if you don't take the hornblower. They could easily be either another company of Osgiliath Vets or possibly a banner for the Cav. The Cav are going to be a bit of a 'one hit wonder' though, so I'd give the points to the Vets.

Orc shooting with bow is actually pretty good (the skill isn't a big factor, it comes down mainly to models and range) but Osigiliath Vets are the only shooting formation I'd want that big. I have a healthy amount of respect for orcs with 2H Weapon, given their numbers and +2 dice in support, so I think that is the way to go. If you have the models, another company of the orcs would be more useful than a banner for the foot, IMO.

Yeah, I am trying to mainly build the lists around boxes. However, as I build these armies up I will be checking out eBay and may get some more flexibility than this. I checked my math and it looks like I only have 20 points to spare without the hornblower, as I have put shields on the Knights. Would it be better to drop the shields and get an extra Vet company or keep the shields? I can also look into dropping some of the banners for more companies of orcs. Thanks for the help!

Xelee
13-01-2010, 00:03
My first experience with the WOTR shooting rules made me give up on Shields for Knights, sice I reasoned that another company was more worthwhile. However, you are using a box of Cav and the shields actually help a bit in melee. As far as I can see, odd numbered str values are more common, so the Shields should be worth it.

I honestly think that you will get more benefit out of the Vets (since you have those other points) but you might at least want to give the Cav with shields a try to get a better feel for where they do, and don't, work.

jaws900
13-01-2010, 18:52
well my first WOTR game was done with a Gondor army that was almost completly made up of cavalry.....I lie...it was nothing but cavalry.

Faramir
6 Knights of Gondor w/ Banner
5 Knights of Gondor w/ Captain

That came to 500pts exactly. I would recomed no game to be under that(for WOTR).
This list did come second too tho knowing what i do now i may have been able to change that.

szlachcic
13-01-2010, 22:53
I think I am actually going to wait on the WoTR armies I was planning for the moment. That is unless, I can find a good deal on eBay. There was just a very large lot up for sale, but between some idiots jacking up the price before the final minutes and a lack of a detailed list of what exactly was in the lot caused me to back out. It did sound like quite a lot of models though, and I probably could have gotten at least two 1000+ point armies out of it.

Since the Blood Angels were officially announced for 40k I think I am just going to save my money and see what that brings. My two 40k armies, Blood Angels and Dark Eldar, have not received any major updates since I started them over a decade ago, so this is kind of a big deal to me. The good thing is that I already own over 4k points of Blood Angels and will probably just pick up any cool looking new kits, so I may have money to spend on WoTR then. That is if I don't expand my Protectorate army for Warmachine, as they are supposed to get their book around then as well.

However, if anyone happens to see any great eBay lots for sale, or knows of someone in the States/Canada that wants to offload some LoTR minis for a reasonable price then please let me know.

Shamutanti
14-01-2010, 02:14
I think I am actually going to wait on the WoTR armies I was planning for the moment. That is unless, I can find a good deal on eBay. There was just a very large lot up for sale, but between some idiots jacking up the price before the final minutes and a lack of a detailed list of what exactly was in the lot caused me to back out. It did sound like quite a lot of models though, and I probably could have gotten at least two 1000+ point armies out of it.

Since the Blood Angels were officially announced for 40k I think I am just going to save my money and see what that brings. My two 40k armies, Blood Angels and Dark Eldar, have not received any major updates since I started them over a decade ago, so this is kind of a big deal to me. The good thing is that I already own over 4k points of Blood Angels and will probably just pick up any cool looking new kits, so I may have money to spend on WoTR then. That is if I don't expand my Protectorate army for Warmachine, as they are supposed to get their book around then as well.

However, if anyone happens to see any great eBay lots for sale, or knows of someone in the States/Canada that wants to offload some LoTR minis for a reasonable price then please let me know.

Tis a shame you're in the states, I've a feeling the P n' P would be pretty horrible. I have a bunch of LotR models (good n' evil, Gondor/Mordor) I'm putting up within the next few weeks on e-bay.

14-01-2010, 03:52
You should keep an eye on Bartertown as well. I've seen good sized lots there recently.

Sedge
14-01-2010, 08:46
Tis a shame you're in the states, I've a feeling the P n' P would be pretty horrible. I have a bunch of LotR models (good n' evil, Gondor/Mordor) I'm putting up within the next few weeks on e-bay.

P&P to the USA isn't too bad, I have sent quite a bit out there.

szlachcic
14-01-2010, 15:49

Feel free to PM me or post the link in this thread as I could still be interested.

You should keep an eye on Bartertown as well. I've seen good sized lots there recently.

Ok, I will have to do that. :)