PDA

View Full Version : Army overload?

pootleberry
11-01-2010, 20:14
This isn't going to be one of those 'how do you choose an army' type questions but does anyone else suffer from 'army overload'? Over the past 5-6 years I've started army after army after army. I've sold most of them now but I am still trying to find that army I'd be happy with. Warhammer, no problem, I've chosen the Lizardmen and I'm very happy with them and I've got my eye on the Tomb Kings when they come out.

Does anyone else find it extremely difficult to choose their W40K army or am I the only one?

Maybe Necrons...

Lord Malorne
11-01-2010, 20:17
Everyone does really, some are exceptions and have the same army forever, I have had my Black Templars since they came out but as to my other armies they come and go, I have had 7 chaos armies over the years, I am on my 8th.

Lord Malorne

Thud
11-01-2010, 20:26
Yep.
I have an unfinished SW army, an unfinished Tyranid army, an unifinshed Tau Empire army, an unfinished Farsight Enclave, plans for a new Farsight Enclave, a more or less finished Iyanden army, an almost done Mech Eldar army with various plans for expansion and I used to have a Space Ork army. Oh, and I have enough Chaos bits and pieces to probably make a 1,000 point army.

And then there's the armies I have plans for making.

What I don't have, though, is the time to actually finish everything...

AlphaLegionMarine
11-01-2010, 20:28
Yes. I started with Dark Angels, then IG, then Dark Angels, then IG, then Vanilla Marines, then Orks, then Alpha Legion, then Tau. I am now on to Eldar.

I think they fit me best, as I want a more common day military force that uses hit and run tactics and stealth to get the job done and the Eldar fit that bill. I was not interested in a static gun line, close combat oriented force, or a bunch of dudes in power armor, and wanted a Special Ops team. That is what Eldar feels like to me after a long time of searching for a perfect fit.

Szafraniec
11-01-2010, 20:29
Time is the real monster. I have so many ideas for so many armies, and im a fan of all of them. I dont think theres an army that ive said 'ill never play them', at least not said it and retracted it later.

And everytime im done with an idea the race gets a new dex and away we go again...

AlphaLegionMarine
11-01-2010, 20:36
Time is a problem. I have an entire unpainted Dark Elf army of over 6k points, and I figure it will take me 1 to 2 years to paint it all.

Thud
11-01-2010, 20:43
Oh, yeah... Crap... I have two Fantasy armies and I've played a grand total of one game.

Grax
11-01-2010, 20:48
I know people who keep starting army after army, and I think they just get hooked on 'starting' armies. The thrill of trying something new, coming up with new lists, and building entirely new miniatures is indeed a tempting one, but it can also easily get out of hand, especially if they keep the armies, instead of selling them.

DeadlySquirrel
11-01-2010, 20:52
Oh, yeah... Crap... I have two Fantasy armies and I've played a grand total of one game.

You are not the only one =]

But i too suffer from army overload, more to the problem i dont know which one to buy

Sorros
11-01-2010, 20:54
I don't get that >.>

I play Eldar and I love it. I've been thinking about starting a Fantasy army or WOTR, but I keep getting dragged back to my 40k army

Rydmend
11-01-2010, 20:55
I am trying to hold myself at 2 unfinished armies at one time. One for fantasy and one for 40k.

Right now I have:

2000 point chaos army fully painted

2000 point Nid army painted (soon to have more models that need painting)

2000 point Lizardmen unfinished

1000 points of Space Wolves unfinsihed (still in boxes even)

the1stpip
11-01-2010, 20:55
While I play around with various ideas (Army Builder is fantastic for this), I have sold some armies, but only as my painting has improved.

I have SMs, Guard and Orks, but I always come back to Dark Eldar, it probably just appeals to my sense of wanting to be different.

starlight
11-01-2010, 20:59
Several WFB armies, and almost every one in 40K...now to find the time... :(

It's coming... :D

TimLeeson
11-01-2010, 21:00
oh yes! definitly, I'm glad im not the only one :)

I have Enslavers, Ulumeathic League, Necrons, 2 tzeentch daemon armies, chaos marines, 2 space marine armies, adeptus mechanicus, eldar, space wolves...yep I have WAY too much stuff arghhh, to be fair I *am* making good progress getting them all finished though! iv sworn to myself to not buy any new stuff till iv finished all of those armies...well until something new and shiny comes out.

No wonder they call it plasticrack!

Murdoch
11-01-2010, 21:06
Hmmmm.

3,500 pts of painted DH
3,000 pts of painted 'Nids (so far resisting the temptation of the trygon, damn serpents)
2,000 pts of Eldar that will prob never be finished (or sold)
1,500 pts of Guard (had to find a use for my stunties) that is 50% done....

Time is the factor... Prob get an hour maybe two a week that could be used... Always end up on here for some reason... Too many cool projects to thumb over...

I did however have my first pick up game for a year on Sunday...

I beat a two lash, 3 obliterator marine army with my DH.... And my GM didn't die... Almost died... Yay

LonelyPath
11-01-2010, 21:08
At some point or other I have collected and played every army for WFB and 40K, liewise I've done the same for every team in BB and gang in Necromunda, just to mention a few. However as I go I tend to retire older models and bring in new ones, yet never seem to bring myself to part with the older models, so the collection continues to grow, lol.

I took a break from GW for a couple of years around 2001 when I was to short on money and even though I had the armies, I knew that if I saw stuff coming out I'd buy it with money I didn't really have.

Since getting back into things though I have collected 7500+ points of DA, 3000 points of DH, 2500 points of Orks, added 3000 to my VC (why, I do not know when I already had about 40k points of it!) and reorganised several older armies to fit the current FOCs relevant to them. I'm now updating my Nids to the new codex, Polishing up 2000 poinds of Daemons (most of which got recycled form an older army) and rounding off my DA and Orks for the time being ready for the being before BA is released.

I'm just glad I do recycle my models in armies now, otherwise I think the attic would have fallen in on me about a year ago, lol.

Now, if only I could get myself more motivated where painting is concerned, it's pitiful to think that the first 50 Stealers I ever bought were from 1989 and mostly unpainted to this day...

Oops, I forgot my point to this post. I very much suffer from Army Overload, lol.

Eldoriath
11-01-2010, 21:49
Well, my army progression has been, roughly:
IG (catachan, most are lost now to bad conversion decisions in the early years)
Tau
IG (cadian models, though some catachan has appeared as a tribute to my first army)
DA (still a bit WIP, but basically I built it to have an army to use Cypher in, long story)
CSM Nurgle (bought it pre-painted and stuff, rarely play with it and loan it to people mostly, looking to sell it tbh)

So, I got three armies that I play with every now and then and I like all of them. Though I am kinda planning of building myself a LatD army later on. It has much to do with how they are played. Tau/IG remind of one another, but differ greatly in playstyle. The DA army (terminator heavy) is yet another niche, and the LatD army would fill up CC-hoard niche. On top of that I like the fluff and feel for all the different armies.

gwarsh41
11-01-2010, 21:53
I got really excited to play dwarves in fantasy so i got a decent army started. I played a few games and realized I like 40k a lot more.

I have been struggling to sell the dwarves for a while now.

Murdoch
11-01-2010, 22:04
It's coming... :D

What is?

Do I need to be nervous :shifty:

Mannimarco
11-01-2010, 22:06
gaaagh starlight is teasing us again

I dont really have much trouble picking an army, if it is Nurgle aligned you can be sure I have an army/warband/fleet/team of it

EmperorEternalXIX
11-01-2010, 22:07
I have always wanted to be the Space Marines, but as they are depicted in the fluff.

On the table, the best way to accomplish this is with the Space Wolves -- and not with the vanilla Space Marines.

I have sort of beta-tested the other SM variants, even Chaos, but ultimately I think I am going to be the Space Wolves for a long, long time.

Tr1gger
11-01-2010, 22:10
Use to collect Space Wolves and then later Black Templars, I've now started a 'nid army since I hear there is a new codex and mini's coming out - looking foward to playing 40K again after so many years ;) (although all the reading is a pain!) :)

starlight
11-01-2010, 22:19
What is?

Do I need to be nervous :shifty:

gaaagh starlight is teasing us again

I dont really have much trouble picking an army, if it is Nurgle aligned you can be sure I have an army/warband/fleet/team of it

Actually I was just implying that *I'd* be having the time to actually get some stuff done on all my armies... :p

Cerraand
12-01-2010, 19:13
I suffered from army overload for my first army (and second)
I started with necrons but in the end I did not like them at all...
I finally opted for the Tau, despite the fact they suck at CC (I wanted something more balanced but the other choices were not good enough for me).

I'm currently looking for a 3rd army, but for almost all the armies, there is as much interesting stuff as annoying stuff. Making the choice hard again.

for fantasy, the problem was more 'too much good choice' for me :P

Radium
12-01-2010, 19:31
I used to go from army to army a couple of years ago. I then started Eldar and I've never looked back. I have some plans to do some projects, but that's mostly because there are some other models I'd like to paint. My main (and for the last couple of years only) army has been Eldar for a couple of years, and the pointy ears will keep that position for a good while yet I think.

Gav2k
13-01-2010, 13:53
I don't have the actual "Physical" overload... I don't go and actually Buy the models, but I tend to shift favour in armies that I may buy. For around two months I've been interested in the Necrons, so I go and buy the Codex, a Lord, and the Battleforce... I build up all the models and do a couple of (poorly done) test models. I still like them, but I'm seriously eyeing up a Infantry-based Vostroyan army. I've had the Necron battleforce about 2 weeks and not used it yet and I already want to try another army.

So it's more "Ideas and Theory" overload rather than having too many armies actually bought and paid for.

naloth
13-01-2010, 17:55
I know people who keep starting army after army, and I think they just get hooked on 'starting' armies. The thrill of trying something new, coming up with new lists, and building entirely new miniatures is indeed a tempting one, but it can also easily get out of hand, especially if they keep the armies, instead of selling them.

Hey, I resemble this. Of course, 20+ years of collecting w/o selling will do that.

For 40k:
IG: 5k+
Nids: 5k+
Orks: 5k+
Eldar: ~3k
SM: ~3k
CSM: ~3k
Necrons: ~3k
CD: ~2k
SoB: ~1k

Bingo the Fun Monkey
13-01-2010, 18:27
I had this problem in Fantasy over the ten years I played/collected. I started with Chaos Dwarfs, then Undead, then High Elves, then Wood Elves, then Vampire Counts, then Skaven, then Dwarfs, then Orcs and Goblins and then Mat Ward wrote the O/G book and I went on to play warmachine.

In warmachine, I've noticed I don't suffer from army overload. I almost did, when I abandoned my inaugural faction for Mercenaries, but I've been playing Mercs since and have had no reason not to love it.