PDA

View Full Version : Need help to identify an Inquisitorial Faction!?

Petay1985
11-01-2010, 21:21
I trust this finds all who read it well, and i thank you for taking the time to read and maybe even help...

...i do believe that one of the Inquisitorial factions believes that the Emperor needs to be released from his interment in the golden throne, subsequently killing him, allowing him to be reborn/ or being all powerful. Can anyone name this faction?

any comments and help are welcome, thanks again :cool:

MarshallSam
11-01-2010, 21:41
Thorians perhaps. They are looking for a suitable body for the Emperor to be reborn into.

BiOvOrE
11-01-2010, 21:42
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's the Thorian (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Thorians) faction that you want.

DeadlySquirrel
11-01-2010, 22:08
Isnt it the Illuminati? theyre the ones who want the sensai emporer right?

Ozeor
11-01-2010, 22:08
Its the Illuminati

It's based on the star child theory

Edit: Damn the ninjas are indeed strong today

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 08:43
Thorians are the fellas who believe that a new born emperor walks amongst us / come can be a vessel for a new born emperor.

Illuminati is i think what i was after, but do they not all under go daemonic possetion and are considered heretics? i though there was a puritan faction that had a similar train of thought when it came to the emperor? :cool:

Eternus
12-01-2010, 09:45
Couldn't they also be the Horusians, or even the Resurrectionists?

The pestilent 1
12-01-2010, 10:05
Horusians are about "War makes us strong" Aren't they?

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 10:14
Couldn't they also be the Horusians, or even the Resurrectionists?

Horusian's are looking to harness the power of chaos through a demi-god (primarch figure) to create a new leader for mankind. Embodied by the emperor's power / transfer the emperor to him.

Jaxell
12-01-2010, 11:00
It's the Thorians. The Illuminati aren't an inquisitorial faction IIRC, they're a bunch of lose cannons with an idea. But GW has faded the whole sensei thing out of the fluff.

Here's some inquisitorial 101

The Puritain factions:

- The Thorians -
The Thorians believe the emperor can be reborn into a different host, and are researching how energy and consciousness interact in the warp. A couple of years ago I made a case for how the Thorians are more dangerous to the Imperium then any of the radical factions, in a way that GW hasn't mentioned in the fluff.

- The Monodominants -
The Monodominants are out to destroy all heresy in the universe. Very single minded buggers.

- The Amalathians -
The Amalathians feel that in stability lies power and that the system works. They dedicate their lives to maintaining the status quo in the Imperium.

The Radical factions:

- The Xanthites -
They believe chaos is merely a reflection of humanity and can never be defeated. They instead set out to harness it and to make it useful to humanity. Radical and risky as they are, these guys do have a good point (see: warp travel).

- The Recongregators -
The Recongregators are the opposites of the Amalathians. Where the Amalathians believe the status quo is what keeps the Imperium strong, the Recongregators believe the status quo is weak and needs to be shaken up. They believe the Imperium needs to change to survive and work towards that goal.

- The Istvaanians -
If you're wondering, yes these guys were inspired by, and named themselves after, the virus-bombing of Istvaan III. Istvaanians believe that man is strongest under adverse conditions (true). That from the periods of greatest strife and upheaval, came the greatest leaps in technologies, faith and conquest (...uh dude?). Did not the Heresy seperate the weak from the strong (dude what?). Istvaanians work to cause trouble wherever possible so as they believe those affected will only grow stronger by it.

azimaith
12-01-2010, 11:28
I believe you are looking for the ressurectionists.

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 11:30
@ Jaxell, thanks for the 101, i've got all that in my Inquisition book. :cool:

@ Azimaith, do you know where these fella's are documented? what publication? :cool:

azimaith
12-01-2010, 11:31
I think they're in Disciples of the Dark Gods for Dark Heresy. You could also look it up in Lexicanum.

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 11:33
I have tried lexicanum to no avail i'm afraid! thanks for the info :cool:

Felwether
12-01-2010, 11:34
Try the Thorian sourcebook. I think someone linked it further up the page. IIRC Ressurectionists, Horusians etc. are sub-groups of the Thorian faction.

EDIT:http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1320032_Thorian_Sourcebook.pdf

That's it. Not good at this link stuff.

Chem-Dog
12-01-2010, 11:46
Isnt it the Illuminati? theyre the ones who want the sensai emporer right?

Its the Illuminati

It's based on the star child theory

GW killed the whole Starchild/Sensei/Illuminati thing off as a Tzeenchian cult.

IIRC that's the Recongregators, Horusians believe that Horus was fundamentally a "good" thing, a wasted chance, if you like.

I don't think it's the Thorians TBH, they search for Avatars, individuals invested (as they see it) with the spirit of the Emperor, so they're not necessarily looking to bump the old fella off.

There was suggestion that there were a few individuals immediately prior to the formation of the Inquisition that felt it was the best move for the Imperium just after the Horus Heresy on Warseer the other day, I'll try to dig up a link...

I can look in my WD back issues when I get home too (at work atm) and see if they're detailed in one of the articles that followed the initial release of Inquisitor.

Felwether
12-01-2010, 11:51
I don't think it's the Thorians TBH, they search for Avatars, individuals invested (as they see it) with the spirit of the Emperor, so they're not necessarily looking to bump the old fella off.

Don't certain individuals within the Thorians want to knock off the Big E so that he can be reborn in a new body though? Kinda fits their MO.

Jaxell
12-01-2010, 12:01
@ Jaxell, thanks for the 101, i've got all that in my Inquisition book. :cool:

Ah, thought you might had not seen it yet.

Ohwell, hope the list is some use to people who haven't read the books

Don't certain individuals within the Thorians want to knock off the Big E so that he can be reborn in a new body though? Kinda fits their MO.

IIRC, the idea is that once a suitable host is found, the Emperor's going to have to be "released" from his current shackles.

Can you guys imagine what will happen if they mess up? Imagine that they found a host capable of carrying the essence of a God... and then the wrong god occupies it? Thorians may potentially do more damage to the Imperium then any other faction.

pookie
12-01-2010, 13:10
The Inquisitor Rulebook has some brief info on this particular train of thought iirc.

GW killed the whole Starchild/Sensei/Illuminati thing off as a Tzeenchian cult.

can you point me to the publication that GW have sourced this in, as far as i knew, it was just background that hadnt been expanded on since the Ordos Hydra ( Inq Wars books ).

Eternus
12-01-2010, 13:57

IIRC that's the Recongregators, Horusians believe that Horus was fundamentally a "good" thing, a wasted chance, if you like.

This is the Istvaanians. They are the ones that believe that positive change is brought around by triumph over adversity. The more bone crunchingly horrific the adversity, the greater the positive change.

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 14:03
This is looking very much like i made the whole thing up! lol either that or i have mixed up the Thorian faction and the Star Child theory in my head!

So as far as we know there isn't a faction that beleives the Emperor's golden throne should be unplugged? thus resulting in his ascention to becoming a God & Warp Based entity? :cool:

EDIT: just read this on lexicanum:

It is stated in Eye of Terror, a novel by the deceased Barrington J. Bayley, that once the Emperor dies his soul will be freed to go into the warp. Here it will Neutralize the Chaos Gods, causing the physical universe to fight one last bloody conflict against each other for the control of the galaxy.5 This bears similarity to the Rhana Dandra prophecy told by the Eldar.

The Inquisition (particularly the Ordo Malleus) has always been at war with the Sensei, the "Emperor's Sons." In 997.M41, Inquisitor Fortez reports that he and his colleagues Alexio and Credo determined the Temple of the Star Child on Levilnor IV consisted of unwitting pawns of Tzeentch, so they eliminated it.3 However, in the Inquisition War Trilogy the same Cult is eliminated by Jaq Draco and a "fellow Inquisitor", suggesting that in fact this could have been a clever diversion.

i reckon this is what i have read! :cool:

Aurenian
12-01-2010, 17:05
Is it possible that the cult of the star child is it's own thing and a particular branch got taken over by Tzeentch? After all the imperial cult spans the galaxy but it's followers rarely practice the exact same religion. it's possible that parts of a cult may be chaos worshipping but others retain their original purpose

Petay1985
12-01-2010, 17:14
My interpretation that the belief of the 'star child theory' is a exactly that, a theory and a belief, if in some parts of the galaxy a cult was formed for it, so be it! if in some parts of the galaxy Tzeentch manipulated one of these cults, so be it!

But in answer to my original question the thing i was looking for was the 'star child theory', as it happens this isn't actually an Inquisitorial faction, but bares some similarities to the Thorians way of thinking, so i guess it could (i'm hypothesising here) be explained as an extreme or varied view point of some thorians?

Any thoughts on that anyone? :cool:

Patriarch
12-01-2010, 20:36
The Illuminati need the true nature of the star child to remain hidden from the inquisition. Therefore, if branches of the cult are going to be exposed, the Illuminati plant false evidence of chaos worship for the Inq to pick up. So the cult is dismissed by the authorities as yet another power-mad chaos cult and the motives of the illuminati remain clouded in secrecy.

The Illuminati are not regular humans who happen to share an extreme opinion; they are all the survivors of daemonic posession and have a more through understanding of chaos and the warp than anyone else.

razormasticator
12-01-2010, 20:44
Wasnt Eisenhorn Initially an almathian? Then considered Radical.

Ph4lanx
12-01-2010, 21:42
Is there some sort of reference book for this? I would love to get my hands on all this, it sounds fascinating! I've not seen any books around.

Dangersaurus
13-01-2010, 01:56
The Thorian Handbook on the GW website (linked to by Felwether on the first page) is a great source of background on the Inquisition, especially the various Incarnationist factions.

Petay1985
13-01-2010, 08:54
The Illuminati need the true nature of the star child to remain hidden from the inquisition. Therefore, if branches of the cult are going to be exposed, the Illuminati plant false evidence of chaos worship for the Inq to pick up. So the cult is dismissed by the authorities as yet another power-mad chaos cult and the motives of the illuminati remain clouded in secrecy.

The Illuminati are not regular humans who happen to share an extreme opinion; they are all the survivors of daemonic posession and have a more through understanding of chaos and the warp than anyone else.

I agree completely, would it not be possible for an Inquisitor to believe in the Star Child theory though - the inquisitor would not have to be in any way associated with the illuminati, just simply open minded enough to believe in the idea that the golden throne is ultiamtely a bad thing and prevents the Emperor from transcending to 'god' status!? :cool: