PDA

View Full Version : Of Landraiders and Tyranids!

Galvatron1701
12-01-2010, 00:00
Hi All!

Whilst reading the old ultramarine codex I noticed that every boxset and vehicle for the space marine line was advertised except the landraider. Now I know from the White Dwarf that the landraider was the 2nd vehicle to be produced (the rhino was the first). Why then was it not advertised along with the others? Was it a limited release?

Also I remember back in 3rd a hive tyrant model that resembled the alien queen from Alien but can't find any reference to it (would have been around the same time as old one eye). Was this another limited release?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section :)

Mannimarco
12-01-2010, 00:03
could this tyrant have been the old style metal one? it did have a pretty big head crest that was sort of like an alien queen

this guy?

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_2.gif

catbarf
12-01-2010, 00:09
The 'Alien Queen' style Tyrant was the one used all between the 2nd Ed one and the current Tyrant. Ample photos can be found in the 3rd Ed codex.

Noserenda
12-01-2010, 00:10
The Hive Tyrant you mean was the standard one at the time, should be plenty around someplace...

By Codex Ultramarines, do you mean the 2nd Ed one? (IE is it fat :D ) because there was no Land Raider model available for most of 2nd into 3rd ed as the Rogue Trader one was OOP and the latest one still in the future...

TheShadowCow
12-01-2010, 00:16
There have been three Hive Tyrants.

In 2nd, we had the cruel/clever-looking alien with the bio-weapons, http://www.cop.ufl.edu/safezone/doty/dotyhome/40k/HT.JPG

In 3rd, they re-did the Tyranid line to make the race more uniform, and essentially made the Tyrant into WH40k's Alien Queen, http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_2.gif

Finally for 4th (and retained for 5th), we have a mix of the two, bringing the intelligent and well-armed look of the 2nd Ed variant and the size/power of the 3rd Ed variant, http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_3.jpg

Galvatron1701
12-01-2010, 00:24
yep, thats the one I was looking for! Thank you. I wonder why its not in the classics section of the GW website?

I had no idea the land raider was oop during 2nd edition, thanks for the info!

pookie
12-01-2010, 14:19
I had no idea the land raider was oop during 2nd edition, thanks for the info!

not for the entire of 2nd, but certainly phased out shortly after 2nd was released.

i remeber when you got 3 rhinos per box and two Raiders :( ( tho GW did honour this when i got my first of each, and a rather Irrate mum went into ask why they were still boxed that way, and why i hadnt got the extra Vehicles )

actually thinking about this, it wasnt long after that that they pulled the LandRaider.

oCoYoRoAoKo
12-01-2010, 14:31
If you still want to buy one, Forgeworld's hive tyrants are all based off the 3rd ed alien queen design.

Cy.

Bassline
12-01-2010, 15:04
In 2nd, we had the cruel/clever-looking alien with the bio-weapons, http://www.cop.ufl.edu/safezone/doty/dotyhome/40k/HT.JPG

Left handed bone sword!!! neeed to find 2 of these to make swarm lord with the 4 bone swords!

Sir_Turalyon
12-01-2010, 15:07
Whilst reading the old ultramarine codex I noticed that every boxset and vehicle for the space marine line was advertised except the landraider. Now I know from the White Dwarf that the landraider was the 2nd vehicle to be produced (the rhino was the first). Why then was it not advertised along with the others? Was it a limited release?

It became limited release when they accidentaly broke the molds. Citadel Miniatures lost Land Rider STC eighter in late 1st or early 2nd edition, and had to redo it from scratch in 3rd.

And I believe Land Rider was first - there are model pictures and rules for it in RT rulebook, I don't rememner seeing rhino there.

TheShadowCow
12-01-2010, 22:02
Left handed bone sword!!! neeed to find 2 of these to make swarm lord with the 4 bone swords!

I have a couple of them (or the remains of) floating around in my pile-o-bits, and trust me they are just not big enough (unless you want your Tyrant to look like he has a muscle-degeneration disease on his left side :p).

I'm going to try and sculpt the swords/hands myself I think, and then see what I can do about arms after that.

LonelyPath
12-01-2010, 22:12
The original LR kit went OOP during the 2nd edition run, I'm not sure when but it might have been just as the UM codex was to be released. I know it was still avilable for some of the run as I bought several during 2nd edition. I also went on to snap up a few more at Mega Sales after they were deleted.

@ Sir_Turalvon - the LR in the RT rulebook was in fact a scratchbuilt model, it's is very different to the kit they released, though similar in size and shape. Take another look at it. The Rhino was the first vehicle kit for 40k.

MegaPope
12-01-2010, 22:14
The very first Land Raider was not a production model, but a scratch-build by Dave Andrews demonstrating the kind of stuff you could make with the RT vehicle rules. It had the overall tracks and side sponson lascannons (albeit single barrelled) that became the iconic features of the design.

GW's first production plastic vehicle model was the Rhino, the second was the Land Raider, and the third was the Predator (which established the now common practice of taking an existing vehicle kit as a basis, and then designing an extra sprue to turn it into a new variant). The Whirlwind and the Vindicator were both originally scratchbuilds invented by Tony Cottrell.

The oldest plastic kit still in production now is the original Leman Russ (1994 vintage).

Abaddonshand
12-01-2010, 22:15
yep, thats the one I was looking for! Thank you. I wonder why its not in the classics section of the GW website?

Something I've been wondering aswell, as I planned on using it as a Tyranid Prime.