PDA

View Full Version : Older Hive tyrant model questions.

jimyg
12-01-2010, 00:32
Hello All

I tried to get into tyranids a few years ago but never got them off the ground. With the new codex coming out Im going to see if I can get get back into them.

I have the older hive tyrant model the one that looks like the Queen from Aliens
http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_2.gif
I want to use this model but I have a few modeling/tactics questions.

1. Does this model need to be on a 40mm base?
2. I want to equip it with 2 pairs of scything talons is this a good idea?
its mostly for aesthetic reasons.
3. when you give a tryrant psychic powers do you have to represent them on the model in some way?

thanks.

Shadowfax
12-01-2010, 00:47
Hello All

I tried to get into tyranids a few years ago but never got them off the ground. With the new codex coming out Im going to see if I can get get back into them.

I have the older hive tyrant model the one that looks like the Queen from Aliens
http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Hive_Tyrant_2.gif
I want to use this model but I have a few modeling/tactics questions.

1. Does this model need to be on a 40mm base?
2. I want to equip it with 2 pairs of scything talons is this a good idea?
its mostly for aesthetic reasons.
3. when you give a tryrant psychic powers do you have to represent them on the model in some way?

thanks.
1. I think the 3rd edition Tyrant came with a 40mm base, so you must be asking about a 60mm base. The answer is, yes, you should probably mount him on the larger base.

2. It's an acceptable combo for a cheapo Tyrant, but there are other good loadouts. If you like the look, may as well go with it.

3. No, you don't need to represent them.

starlight
12-01-2010, 00:52
That's not the older one, that's the current (until the new one is on the shelves shortly :p) one.

1) At least a 40mm, as that's what it came with.
2) If it fits the role you intend for it.
3) No.

Shadowfax
12-01-2010, 00:54
That's not the current one.

There's also no confirmation of a new one. Might be a "second wave" thing, but Tervigons and Spore Pods are probably going to be a higher priority.

starlight
12-01-2010, 01:05
Guess I'm an old fart, playing with last Edition's toys... :p

jimyg
12-01-2010, 01:08
yes im sorry I meant a 60mm base

he is on a 40mm base in the picture. that is what he came with.

1. I think the 3rd edition Tyrant came with a 40mm base, so you must be asking about a 60mm base. The answer is, yes, you should probably mount him on the larger base.

2. It's an acceptable combo for a cheapo Tyrant, but there are other good loadouts. If you like the look, may as well go with it.

3. No, you don't need to represent them.

LonelyPath
12-01-2010, 01:13
You are entitled to mount models on the bases they were supplied with, that's the only real stipulation. So you can keep it on the 40mm base or rebase to a 60mm, you just can't go any smaller than the original base size. Canis Wolfborn is different as GW recommends not giving him a larger base, lol.

jimyg
12-01-2010, 01:18
is there any advantage to mounting it on a 40mm instead of a 60mm?

You are entitled to mount models on the bases they were supplied with, that's the only real stipulation. So you can keep it on the 40mm base or rebase to a 60mm, you just can't go any smaller than the original base size. Canis Wolfborn is different as GW recommends not giving him a larger base, lol.

Shadowfax
12-01-2010, 01:26
Yes, there are advantages; fewer enemies being able to target you in close combat, greater chance of a blast weapon scattering off of you, etc. There are also advantages to going larger, though (greater area of effect for psychic powers & synapse, for one)

Which is why you should attempt to find a 60mm base if you can, to preserve goodwill between you and your opponent.

Although it's technically permissible to leave him on the 40mm.

jimyg
12-01-2010, 01:52
cool, thanks for the input
im going to convert him up to look like this forge world model
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hivetyrant.htm

Yes, there are advantages; fewer enemies being able to target you in close combat, greater chance of a blast weapon scattering off of you, etc. There are also advantages to going larger, though (greater area of effect for psychic powers & synapse, for one)

Which is why you should attempt to find a 60mm base if you can, to preserve goodwill between you and your opponent.

Although it's technically permissible to leave him on the 40mm.