PDA

View Full Version : Best Opponent/ Game

ffclubhero
02-02-2006, 14:27
I never realized how good I had it until I read the 'Worst Opponent' thread.

I want to hear about the best game you've played, best move, best opponent you've played, or whatever else cool has happened that made for a memorable game.

Personally, the first game I won I'll never forget. I was playing Necrons and my buddy was playing Tau. Terrain was light and placed in corners and along the short table edges but for two Size 3 hills more or less in the center of the table with about 10"- 12" between them.

We played Recon (this was under 3ed. rules). 1,000 pts.

I was a bit beardy and brought a Monolith, which he wasn't expecting. Took a Lord, 2 Troops (@12 Troopers each), and 3 Destroyers. On the other hand, I did NOT take the kit to jump my guys directly into his deployment zone. I would do this the hard way (I figured that balanced the cheese from the Monolith). Needless to say a few of his Crisis suits (if I remember them correctly) were placed in cover. They had that Move, Shoot, Move thing going which kills me, especially when he puts all kinds big guns on them (which I was expecting, hence the Monolith). He also brought Fire Warriors, and some other units I don't remember (maybe Pathfinders...).

Needless to say, his troops deployed in the terrain and were going to move along the board edges under cover. I placed my units together in a spearhead towards the center. Now in an effort to reduce casualties, I clumped my 2 units together with the Lord AND next to the Monolith. I deployed the Destroyers on my left flank in an effort to speed across the board and take out those pesky Crisis Suits (which could also make that extra move toward victory if they were left alone....).

He ran his Troops up both sides, one side in the DT and the other under cover of the CS's fire. He left a unit in his DZ to offer resistance. By Turn 2 I realized there was nothing to actually destroy my Monolith on his Crisis Suits, yippy for me, but I was still faced with footslogging it across the board. So I did the smart thing and moved all my units behind the Monolith and between the hills. I was thus covered on all sides but my rear by terrain and the 'lith.

There was some fire exchanged on the left flank and the Destroyers went down. They weren't able to whittle his troops down, however, and that remained a scoring unit, as did the Crisis Suits.

It was a TIGHT game and came down to one thing. He'd forgotten, for a single turn, his Fire Warriors on the right flank moving through the DT.

I won by something like 2"- 4". The most valuable lesson I learned that game was to have an order for moving your units in so you don't forget one.

Dakkagor
02-02-2006, 14:57
one of the best games I've managed was against a very regular opponent of mine. My ork KOS versus his mech tau. The table was an iceworld with refinery, 1500pts each. My KOS got of to a good start, but he stuck to it and we managed an exceptionally bloody draw by the end of the game, and much fun was had by all. I achieved some impressive kills (shot most of his tanks, including disabling a railhead with rokkit and it never got the chance to fire again) As we where playing recon, there was a fair amount of trying to get past each other, which meant we had a real game of manouverabilty, use of cover, and real tactical play.

Old School
02-02-2006, 15:33
Funny how this thread has only two posts, but the "Worst game/opponent" thread has 11 pages of "...I regret not punching him in the end.......there was this 13 year old.......he ran around screaming 'I suck'..........etc..."

Tom
02-02-2006, 15:41
Couple of weeks ago, my IW versus his WitchHunters (using Catachan allies, which though technically not allowed I decided was okay), we decided to set both sides of the board up to our advantage, so a heavily bunkered siege line down one end and mostly forest for the rest of the board.

There's a certain benefit for plaing armies unexpectedly, I might add. Very close, scraped a draw, lots of fun.

Gadicitus
02-02-2006, 15:55
A friend and I had a great game. We called it a meatgrinder - basically, there was a set force of 500pts of marines in the centre of a 4' x 4' board. 750pts of LatD deployed at random table edges (D4 for life yo!) . Each turn, on the roll of a D6 - (1-2 adds nothing, 3-5 adds 2D6 cultists, 6 adds D6 CSM) on a random table edge. Basically, there was no real abstract objective, but we were able to have a great fun game and suprisingly the marines won! :)

Eduard
02-02-2006, 15:56
Funny how this thread has only two posts, but the "Worst game/opponent" thread has 11 pages of "...I regret not punching him in the end.......there was this 13 year old.......he ran around screaming 'I suck'..........etc..."

This tread is only 1,5 hours old, what did you expect?

The best games I had would have been against, my old playing buddies (and Posters here). Mojaco and Sentinel, Guys, I love you!:D Well, not Sentinel, he massacres me to often, so i'll just "like"
him ;) (but i don't mind) aslong as I get to Shoot Him while playing CoD, I'll be happy, and I Wont mind the Massacres.

Eat MG42 (or Kar98) rounds Sentinel!

Hlokk
02-02-2006, 16:13
My mate Phil and I regularly have really good 40k games. Its nice playing someone who doesnt take it too seriously and who actually has a fridge full of smirnoff ice :p

We have one special rule. If we disagree over something, we roll a dice. Even means Im right, Odd means he's right. No arguements, no moaning.

Best game I ever played against him was 4000pts per side, my IG vs his Iron Warriors allied with chaos Cultist LatD list. It was fantastic, we played over a 6x6 table with basilisks trading fire, His infantry charging at my dug in guardsmen. For a laugh we gave his mutants sustained assault, and by the end of turn 8, i had 1 leman russ and a dozen men, while he had about 60 mutants and a defiler. (Bear in mind i had killed 200 mutants with firing over 7 turns, and repelled 2 assaults)

Getz
02-02-2006, 22:02
one of the best games I've managed was against a very regular opponent of mine. My ork KOS versus his mech tau. The table was an iceworld with refinery, 1500pts each. My KOS got of to a good start, but he stuck to it and we managed an exceptionally bloody draw by the end of the game, and much fun was had by all. I achieved some impressive kills (shot most of his tanks, including disabling a railhead with rokkit and it never got the chance to fire again) As we where playing recon, there was a fair amount of trying to get past each other, which meant we had a real game of manouverabilty, use of cover, and real tactical play.

Yes, much fun... Like when my Pathfinders killed your Warboss in Hth on the last dice roll of the last turn...

Many of my Favourite Games have been played against Dakkagor. Our last big game was a particular stand out for me. We played Blitz with my Machanised Guard attacking his Goffs.

Tight, in fact very tight and although the VPs handed my a solid victory I'm well aware how close to disaster he brought me...

Melchor
02-02-2006, 22:06
I can't remember a specific 'best game ever', but I find that hard-fought draws are generally the best games you can play.
I'd rather have a hard-fought draw than a game where I walk all over my opponent (yeah right, as if that's ever going to happen :rolleyes:)

Insane Psychopath
02-02-2006, 22:06
My best game was in the UK Grand Tournament Heat 1, round 4: My Iron Warriors vs a Slannesh Chaos army. ALso the mission was Take & Hold

Just I had to be really careful due to my oppent being gear up for anti tank, so it was case of taken it down the flank where he had no heavy weapons.

Just it was a close game & ended with me getting 13 & 7 to him. Just it was a great challege & I had to be really careful with anything I did.

Of course all my other 5 games (6 in total) where great as why I found UK GT heat 1 the best event I been to out of all the other since 2002. Just great challege, learnt so much more about my own army, oppent where great (oppent 1 wanted me to win most sporting).

So many great painted armies, the lot

IP

Easy E
02-02-2006, 22:39
My most memeroable game swas against Catachan jungle fighters in the jungle against my footslogging orks. It was a 1,000 pt game, and it was only a 4x4 board (which is very unusual for me) in a breakthrough type mission. It came down to the wire. I remember my dread stomping out of the woods and opening up on a command sqaud killing everyone except the commissar. I think to myself, victory is mine there is no way that commissar is going to stop my dread from getting into his deployment zone. On his turn, the commissar calmly and purposefully draws his plasma pistol, takes aim, and blows the dread sky high. Meanwhile a small squad of his Catachans sneaks past my line and wins the game for him. It was fantastic, with blazing guns, desperate assaults, and lone heroics all over the place.

Edit: the Catachan player was a store employee too.

Kahadras
03-02-2006, 00:26
Dunno really. I have had a lot of good games in the past and it is hard to pick out one in particular that was better than the rest. One of my favorite that I can recall was one of the first games I played with my Space Wolves. It was against Deathguard on a small city fight board in GW. The game was really close, I took down his Dreadnought in the first turn only to see mine destroyed the very next turn, he would break a squad only for them to rally and turn on their foes. There were no rules arguement and the game was very dynamic. The end result was a draw and we both had a great time. Its a good example of how a small battle with balanced forces can be fun.
This can be contrast to a game that was taking place on the table next to us. Basicaly it was two maxed out armies with their owners quibbling with everything the other did. Sounded like a lot of fun and the loser conceded early, packed up his models and stormed out of the store.

Kahadras

Cheitan Shadowless
03-02-2006, 00:45
I can't remember a specific 'best game ever', but I find that hard-fought draws are generally the best games you can play.
Quoted for immeasurable truth.

My memory fails me a little right now...all I remember are some of our group's 'legendary' moments which are more about hilariousness than anything else (Termagants killing a Bloodthirster and such). But some of my recent games have been quite good, especially the close ones. My last game, for instance, was actually very good.

I played my Tyranids against a mate's WH with Space Marine detachments (or was it the other way around?), and the result was a most formidable draw (a 100 point win for me, but y'know...;)).
Memorable moments include, but are not limited to:
- moving Termagants through some closed buildings and thus keeping them completely unscathed up until the point where they assaulted a group of Celestians. :D
- when his Captain was assaulted by 14 Hormagaunts and didn't take a single wound for two turns, butchering several of my little abominations. :wtf:
- assaulting his 5-strong Heavy Bolter filled Retributor squad with my lone Lictor, occupying them for three rounds of combat, quietly removing one of them each turn and sweeping them to their demise in his round 5, upon which I climbed down the otherwise impassable walls of the high ground they were on, and promptly charged the remains of a Tactical squad, keeping them busy for the rest of the game and killing several! :cool:

Ivan Stupidor
03-02-2006, 01:33

I'm gonna have to quote this again. Probably my favourite game of 40k was a 3000pt Bunker Assault, fought to a tight draw with all sorts of crazy heroics. It's a wonderful thing when a lone Sentinel rampages across the board and nearly wins the game by kicking dug-in Marines to death.

My favourite game ever? BFG Cruiser Clash, Imperials vs Orks. It came down to one Imperial and one Ork cruiser facing each other down (well, there was another Imperial ship, but it was slowly drifting away, as close to a hulk as is possible without actually being taken out of action). Both were crippled. The Orks rammed the Imperial cruiser, only to be caught in the ensuing plasma drive overload. At least the boyz went out doing what they loved. (The previous battle, Imperials vs Chaos, involved some derring-do as the men of the Navy smashed apart a Khornate assault and forced the traitors to pull away. I really should play more Gothic...)

devolutionary
03-02-2006, 01:40
Aurelien is my usual and best opponent. The fact he almost cried when my 6 1kSons eradicated his entire pathfinder rail rifle squad in one salvo had nothing to do with it. First turn too :D

Xiannic
03-02-2006, 01:49
My most memorable games have always been my Nids against my mates Imperial Guard. They have always been really close battles (we play with a good mix of terrain and no cheese) with nothing really surviving to the absolute end.

The best ever was when there were litterally a handful of models left, the only significant things were my Carnifex (armed with 2 pairs scything talons) and a Leman Russ about 9" apart. It was my last turn with my opponent having the very last turn of the game, my carnifex was on it's last wound (after taking a battlecannon to the face and shrugging off a direct lascannon hit (yep he rolled a 1).

Well there was only one thing I was gonna do, I moved my carnie in and then assaulted the tank. One thing i like about carnies is that there seems little point in actually rolling the dice when faced with armour but we went through the motions anyway and no-one was surprised when the LR was torn a new one and I was filled with glee at a another victory for the hive mind until my celebration was cut short when he pointed out that this tank had a Crew Escape Mechanism. Well, no biggie it's 3 scrawny guardsmen, what harm can they do?

What happened next belied belief. His guys took aim and fired at my Carnie with their puny Str3 laspistols missing with 2 of them. I was pretty confident at this point knowing he needed a 6 to even have a chance at harming the fex. So he rolls the die...

Unperturbed i was confident in making the 2+ save (extended carapace) for the fex and picked up the lone die. It left my hand in an almost slow-motion roll...

The laspistol had hit the Carnie right in the eye and blew out his brains... I can only assume the creature didn't blink in time. Even though I lost the game as the tank crew was the only remaining thing on the table worth any victory points I have to say that was my best moment in 40k and i've never laughed so hard in all my years of playing.

Eldartank
03-02-2006, 02:30
I remember one interesting and hilarious game where I played my codex Space marines against a friend's Space Wolves. Midway through the game, my Chaplain (with artificer armor - 2+ save, 4+ Invulnerable Rosarius save) was assaulted by several squads (There were Terminators, Wolf Guard, Blood Claws, etc - lots of power weapons and power fists, and a couple lightning claws). My Chaplain had only one wound left, as he took fire earlier. For the next few rounds the Chalpain kept getting hit by dozens of power weapon/power fist attacks, and making his saves. I made at least 35 4+ Invulnerable saves, as well as lots of 2+ saves from normal attacks. My intrepid Chaplain was finally taken down after a mere Blood Claw scored a wound, and he failed his 2+ save!

And I always love those games where I have a fully and properly painted/represented army, and my opponent does too. In such cases, the game is almost always a blast, even if I get wiped out to the last model. That's for two reasons - It's always nice to see someone else's nicely painted army in full force, and (so far) opponents with fully painted armies have always been really decent people.

I've read the "Best Opponent" and "Worst Opponent" threads with some amusement. One thing miniatures gamers should always to do in order to have fun is to just put things in perspective: We're a bunch of (mostly) adults playing with toy soldiers! :)

;)

kardos
03-02-2006, 02:55
well my first game of 3rd edition (i had played 2nd some but never bought an army as i was too poor buying new skateboards and beer alot) anyway, was against a great guy named Steve Carter, he let me use his Dark Angels, and we laughted forever as he said "come on dude yu have 6 saves of 3+ you can pass at least 4 of these" then i rolled all 1's and 2's. this happened pretty much the entire game.
also Corey Croot (good name for a Tau player huh?) killed a Ven Dreads with a damn Fire Warrior (CC grenade thingies), the funniest part was he did it 2 games in a row. Corey is so fun to play with as even if he loses he laughs about ****. KUDOS to my frien Corey.

Serpent
03-02-2006, 07:23
I have several great memories, and all have been close-fought draws. I remember a tournie game with my Jamaican IG against a great Night Lord army, a lovely opponent who didn't even flinch when 10 Furies scattered off the board. There're also several games against a friend's Death Guard which I fondly recall.

And of course, the time when my Storm Claw Wolf Guard Champion made about 15 4+ saves against half a mob of Cyborks over six turns of close combat...

And the 13th Co vs Space Wolf tournie game when I managed to get absolutely everything right.

Ah. Fond memories.

Serpent

Gen_eV
03-02-2006, 20:51

Yes indeed.

My best game ever, UK GT a few years back. My Space Wolves versus his Orks. First turn, he took out my Long Fangs, but foolishly had all three dreads (his only armour) within eighteen inches of my Grey Hunters. Three Meltagun shots later, no more dreads. Best shooting phase ever - three shots, and they all did exactly what was needed.

Without that, the dreads would have crushed a big chunk of my unfeasibly small army before being taken out by invisible power fists. As it stood, we were left with pretty evenly-matched forces. Sure, I had lots of power weapons because I ran out of time to paint the army and needed to make up points, but they were all pretty much wasted against the orks.

Much carnage and fun ensued, until the last turn. One lone Wolf Guard was standing, surrounded by sixteen blood-crazed orks. One mob of nine, one of seven. I had three attacks, and if I pulled it off I'd reduce his final unit below 50% and somehow pull out a draw with only one model left standing.

So, I roll the dice. One hits, two miss. Then, my dear, wonderful opponent reminded me about the master-crafting on my power axe. What a guy. Needless to say, he got my F"avourite Opponent' vote. Re-rolling, I hit again, and wounded twice. Not a single unit on the table left above 50%, so a grand total of 0 VPs in a cleanse. Not a single MODEL left in my army, but you've gotta love the heroics.

Closest game I've ever fought. Victory truly stood on the roll of one die, and the gods favoured me. I still feel guilty for taking a 400pt five-man unit, but I ran out of time to finish the extra Grey Hunters squad I'd been meaning to paint.

Ardathair
04-02-2006, 05:45
I was playing a game that by the end of the first turn we both noticed that the game was a bit lopsided, and not due to lucky dice rolls. He suggested we both looked at our army lists. We had both miscalculated. He was 250 pts over and I forgot a unit putting me 300 pts under. (three war walkers with Bright Lances would have helped vs Land Raiders)
He appologized and we started over with the correct armies and points.

Orcdom
04-02-2006, 06:37
best game i can rem was recently i just got to use my deathwing and played against necrons, 2200 points, blitz mission, i was the defender.

we figures the draw margin was 220 points since the rulebook only went to a 2000 point game, and the margin was him +25 points over me.

i have never had a victory point game so close. lots of draws in table quarters but never a vp condiotion mission near this close.

Steve

Serpent
04-02-2006, 07:16
Now that you mention it, I played a game against a SoB army this summer, and I think we actually got a draw with the same exact amount of points each.

Serpent

Lyonator
04-02-2006, 08:45
I feel bad because I honestly dont recall any really awesome games.... too many bad ones <I admit, with me on both sides of said badness>...

but I do recall a game where I won by 400 VPs or so, and it turned out afterwards I had been playing 1500, and my opponent had used his 1850 list, as that was 'standard' for them at the time...
booyah, one of my favorite games.
<ooh, and in second edition, when my 15 strong grot squad ran across the board, shot at some chaos terminators, killing two, then charged, and killed the last three in HtH>

Darkseer
04-02-2006, 09:19
My best opponent has to be Anvil's Hammer.

Always very sporting, plays for a laugh, has some smashing armies, as well as excelent scenery to battle on.

We then swap armies and play again.

I've had a lot of good games lately, but none spring to mind as a best game.

Inquisitor Maul
04-02-2006, 12:05
Well, not to bragg but: Me vs Anyone :D

People always enjoy playing me and so far I've won Best Sportsmanship in every tournament I've entered (only 3 though). I never play to win, I just play to make sure both my opponent and I have a good time, even if it involves loosing badly :D

Wraithbored
04-02-2006, 15:57
Any game where I play vs. my mates blackfang and yerpo is a memorable one! I just have so much fun it's unreal I hope it's the same for them!