PDA

View Full Version : Starting Vampire counts

Parad0x
12-01-2010, 05:01
First off, I'm new to Fantasy, I've been in 40k for some time, until I saw my friend's Vampires. I liked them so much at first sight, I wanted to start my own.

Now, my first question is, a guy I know happens to sell a few units of Grave guards, with great weapons. They are assembled, and painted. He's making a good deal on them too, less than 50% of new price i think, what I want to know is two things. One - how exactly do they fare in combat, meaning, will I need them (from what I could figure while searching, they are powerful), and will I need them exactly with those great weapons already attached? Second thing, how many will I need them? He's selling a couple of those units.

Next, what else do you reccomend me to buy for my army? I'm looking at a garrison right now, how do I build from there?

And finally, the infamous blood knights. How effective are they? I've heard some freaky stories about them, and the models price is really saying something, too. So I'd appreciate their review in a nutshell.

Kayosiv
12-01-2010, 08:24
I would highly recommend looking at ALL of the army books before you spend hundreds of dollars on vampires. Not that vampires are "wrong" but you certainly should check out everything, perhaps there is something you'll like even more. Best find out now before you are invested.

Grave Guard are excellent and one of the hardiest infantry units in the game. You will need at one unit of around 20-25. You do not need more than this, although you certainly could without it hurting you.

You NEED the following. 2 vampires, 2 units of either skeletons or ghouls (I personally would recommend ghouls), and a bunch of zombies. I would highly recommend picking up a corpse cart, either some dire wolves or bats (I recommend the wolves, but both serve the same purpose), and a unit of Black Knights.

Blood Knights are flat out, without peer, the most destructive unit in the entire game. Now, that does not mean they are the most "powerful" unit in the game. They are only decent in terms of defense, on par with many other knights that cost half as much, and worse than some other armies elite knights defensively. They are also frenzied, and thus very hard to control, especially if your opponent knows how to deal with such troops. They will without a doubt obliterate anything they manage to charge, but a smart opponent will blast them to pieces or throw fodder at them to negate their usefulness. They are extremely expensive but also extremely beautiful models. On the plus side each one of them can also be used for a mounted Vampire hero character in your army if you decide not to use them.

One of the neat things about vampire counts is that all 4 of their rares are extremely useful. The Wraith/Banshee unit is deadly and an interesting mix of frail and invincible, while granting the army its only shooting attack. The Varghulf is a vicious monster that can kill lords and tear apart weaker units by itself, and combined with other units can punch a hole through your enemy lines. The Black Coach is the most powerful chariot in the game and can drain the offensive abilities of enemy wizards (if yours, if you aren't careful). And Blood Knights are unbelievably destructive but also very hard to control. None are bad, try them all, then decide what type of army you want to play.

ChaosVC
12-01-2010, 08:40
Grave guards are very good tar pit and heavy infantry, Blood knights are good only if they get to charge what you want to charge.

Sand
12-01-2010, 11:07
And finally, the infamous blood knights. How effective are they? I've heard some freaky stories about them, and the models price is really saying something, too. So I'd appreciate their review in a nutshell.If you're not rolling in money, I'd consider buying a box of Chaos Knights and converting them to Blood Knights. It takes quite a bit of work, but the end result is better than the official models and at roughly 1/3 the price.

As for Grave Guard, I have 20-25 of them with great weapons and I am very happy with them :)

But if it's not a "now or never" type of deal, I 'd second the suggestion that you look at the other armies too before committing to VC.

BigbyWolf
12-01-2010, 12:57
If you're not rolling in money, I'd consider buying a box of Chaos Knights and converting them to Blood Knights. It takes quite a bit of work, but the end result is better than the official models and at roughly 1/3 the price.

One thing I did was buy 5 old Blood Dragon mounted lords off Ebay, max 3 each...bargain!

Parad0x
13-01-2010, 01:05
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did look through several other armies' books, but what caught my eye about Vampires is their models, I liked them very much. I think its the most important part of an army - how it looks like. Even if its the most balanced army in the world, most versatile and god knows what else, if I'm not put on by its models, if I feel no passion to collect them, then it doesn't mean much to me, does it?:angel: Oh, and they got plethora of skeletons!:D(yes, I've seen tomb kings, but for some reason, I didn't like those models)

riotknight
13-01-2010, 01:39
I made my Blood Knights out of a Chaos Knight kit, using the horses and filing off some stuff, and Dark Elf Cold Run riders. But then, my Vamps are a bit elf themed.

Sand
13-01-2010, 10:01
I made my Blood Knights out of a Chaos Knight kit, using the horses and filing off some stuff, and Dark Elf Cold Run riders. But then, my Vamps are a bit elf themed.I used the Chaos Knights, with a Dark Elf banner (possibly even the Cold One banner, I don't know tbh) and some Brettonia and High Elf heads.

wilsongrahams
13-01-2010, 10:06
Personally, I'd drop the Blood Knights, although add them later when you have a larger army, and go for Black Knights.

I made my black Knights using Tomb Kings Skeleton Horsemen with the horses and legs from said kit, and then upper bodies, heads, shield arms and shields from the Grave Guard kit, then using Skeleton Spears as lances. They look excellent in my opinion. The Grave Guard parts can even be got from Ebay to save buying a unit and you can even use the Tomb Kings lances and shields if you really want to cut costs.

Tonedogbf110
13-01-2010, 10:45
I have not long started a VC army, I went the whole hog and bought a 3000pt army in one go, but theres no way I will pay 50 for blood knights. I had planned also to use Chaos knights as a proxy or convert them to look like vamps.

know what you mean though, nice figures for VC and dead easy to paint and make them look the nuts.

cant wait to play them, they've been sitting in their boxes for months as my project hit the skids when my little boy arrived. but I'm making strong progress with the painting of them now.

good army choice if you dont mind me saying.

artisturn
13-01-2010, 19:01
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did look through several other armies' books, but what caught my eye about Vampires is their models, I liked them very much. I think its the most important part of an army - how it looks like. Even if its the most balanced army in the world, most versatile and god knows what else, if I'm not put on by its models, if I feel no passion to collect them, then it doesn't mean much to me, does it?:angel: Oh, and they got plethora of skeletons!:D(yes, I've seen tomb kings, but for some reason, I didn't like those models)

I totally agree, with all the time involved in getting your models ready for the table you need to feel passionate about your army and VC has some great looking models and a lot of conversion possibilities as well.