PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Space Marine Chapters

Bathawk
12-01-2010, 06:22
was home sick, and spent the time re-reading the fluff on divergent SPace Marine Chapters

So the Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Black Templars and Space Wolves are "aberrant" chapters which don't follow the codex astartes, all well and good

But does that mean codex books for astartes chapters (Imperial Fists White Scars, Salamanders ect;) would be pointless?

starlight
12-01-2010, 06:26
Yes.

If you're featured in the main Codex: Space Marines in a big way, you won't be getting a separate book. If you're a well known Chapter without a book, and you *aren't* in the main book, chances are good you'll see some ink... :)

If you're neither, get working on picking a book you like... :)

carlisimo
12-01-2010, 06:30
The aberrant chapters have their own codices out of tradition and because they have enough backstory to fill a book of their own. The rules differences aren't that big a deal - they could be dealt with in other ways. That probably excludes the Black Templars, but a lot of us old curmudgeons think they were invented just to give lazy painters a chapter of their own (*ducks*).

Aiwass
12-01-2010, 06:40
Actually, the BA follow the Codex Astartes.

InquisitorNiels
12-01-2010, 07:10
Yes the Dark Angels are a codex chapter, except for the way they organize their first and second companies IIRC. The Death and Raven wing are set up differently from what would be considered "codex approved".

...but a lot of us old curmudgeons think they were invented just to give lazy painters a chapter of their own (*ducks*).

I thought that a nice clean white takes a good bit of effort to pull off well. :angel:

starlight
12-01-2010, 07:13
Actually, the BA follow the Codex Astartes.

More than some, less than others...

WinglessVT2
12-01-2010, 11:39
If your organisation differs from that of the ultramarines, you're not a codex chapter.

Dark angels have ravenwing and deathwing, plus their little cabal of supreme, secret masters, that guide not only their own chapter, but all its successors, too.
Blood angels, plus all successors bar one, tend to go crazy both before and during battle, so they feature less devastators, their 'scouts' are handpicked crazies that just want to make you bleed, and then there's the death company.
Black templars don't follow the organization of the codex at all, and even alter their vehicles to better fit mission profiles.
Gray knights are space marines in name only.
Space wolves are like the black templars, only even more extreme, and don't even follow the teachings of the codex.

Then there are codex chapters that follow the codex, but aren't capable of doing so to the fullest, for some reason or other, like the salamanders.
They're significantly smaller as a chapter than all others, take forever to train their recruits, and see no reason whatsoever to spend 19 hours of each day on 'combat practice,' when there's a perfectly good forge nearby, because - damn it - if the kids won't learn discipline while making meltaguns and ornate armor, there'simply no hope for them.

Also, you have to kill a huge dragon with your bare hands to qualify for real membership. That might have something to do with their low numbers.

Felwether
12-01-2010, 11:46
I wouldn't describe the Salamanders as codex or even trying to be codex. Granted they're not as divergent as Templars or pups but don't they have 12 companies made up of 120 marines or somesuch madness?

Luko
12-01-2010, 12:34
No salamanders only have seven companies! Each one being larger than a codex chapter company.

Also has any one noticed a complete lack of Iron Hands be it fluff or character in codex space marines? As they are also a non codex chapter. I think the only reference to them is a sternguard vet in display pages of c:sm?

Luko

LonelyPath
12-01-2010, 12:56
The Exorcists are also featured in C: SM I believe and they boast 2 additional scout companies and each marine undergoes daemonic possession as a part of their training. I wouldn;t call their practices all that Codex either.

The Unforgiven (Dark Angels and successors) may have most of the chapter laid out as according to the Codex Astartes (barr the DW and RW companies), but they have their own specific purpose and goals, operate to the sound of their own orchestra and are fundamentally still a Legion rather than a Chapter since all the chapter in the Unforgiven fall under Azrael's supreme command. Quite daunting to think that if they should ever turn traitor (not that they would), the Imperium WOULD be facing another hersy with some 10 - 20,000 marines on the warpath, not to mention one of the largest collected armouries in the Imperium itself!

The BA follow the Codex Astartes, but practice its fighting styles rather differently.

Space Wolves order in fresh copies of the Codex Astartes whenever they run low on toilet paer :P

Black Templars are certainly not fans of the CA, but don't use it to wipe their bums after a night of fenrisian mead and super hot 15,000 chilli curries.

Grey Knights would probably laugh at the CA and show off their shiney armour, better weaponry and Liber Daemonicum (or whatever the book is called, my memory is failing me today), then preach about how they are TRUE space marines and Marneus pays people to write his propaganda. They'd then go on to spill the truth in that it was a GK rookie that bested the Avatar of Khaine. However, since the GK weren't (officially) really there and so couldn't argue against Marnus taking the glory, plus he had pics taken and uploaded them to his Face Book before anyone knew what was going on. Heh.

pookie
12-01-2010, 13:14
More than some, less than others...

id say more than the Majority ( rather than some), after all there only real now divergence is the Death Company, the Chapter itself is organised the same way as the UM/IF as an example.

but i do see your point.

Sfixterman
12-01-2010, 15:48
GW doesn't give a ****** about fluff... and that is the ugly truth. there are many chapters that should own codices especially for them and their successors... But there are some chapters that differ. not in training, on the game play. for instance, you will not see death company in other chapters apart from BA and succ. or you will not see mixed squads in others except for BT. and this is where i think GW is right (and this does not happen very often). chapters that are slittly different from the codex astartes do not have their own codex, but they have a character that customizes them... trully brilliant if you don't want to publish many different codices...