PDA

View Full Version : The Grail Reliquae

Shazarn
12-01-2010, 10:37
Im thinking of starting Bretonnians so I bought the codex cheap 2nd hand. As I was reading through, I came across The Grail Reliquae and for the life of me, I could not see the point of having it. I tried to think of it in comparison to the Anvil of Doom, Lord Kroak or Greasus GoldTooth but couldnt fathom it in comparison to them at all.

So can anyone please explain the use of this unit? or direct me to a thread where it is explained (I looked for the Tactica thread but couldnt find it)

Thanks

Thurizdan
12-01-2010, 10:41
It's supposed to be an anvil for an enemy unit to charge and get stuck (by way of the Ward Save and Stubborn) so you can flank them with Pegasus Knights or some such. Problem is, they aren't very good at it, they still die kind of easy and they really can't fight at all. I'd take them if they were 2 points cheaper maybe.

Monsterzonk
12-01-2010, 10:46
Well, it's cheap (~120 points, including 6 pilgrims), and provides you with a stubborn infantry unit subject to Hatred, and with a Ward save. Not bad at all! Yes, they won't really hurt the enemy, but maybe they can hold them off for a turn so you can get a flank charge. Just don't rely on it! ;)

And why would you compare them to Greasus or Kroak, which are special characters costing several hundred points each...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Edit: Dang, ninja'd! :D

Artinam
12-01-2010, 10:48
Think of them more as Great Swords. They can act as an Anvil on which the enemy will not likely break trough in on go.
Or as a more breakable but also more survivable type of Flaggelants, just tarpit an enemy unit with Stubborn troops.

The main 'problem' is that they are still on foot. A lot of Bretonnian players purely use Knights (strange since half the armychoices are Peasants or Women). As such if your Knights are having turn 2 charges your Relique will lag behind. If you adjust your strategy to the relic, or use it in conjunction with Men-at-Arms and Knights you get a rather reliable unit with a normal AS for infantry (we can't all run in Heavy Armour) and a Wardsave.

Shazarn
12-01-2010, 11:40
Thanks all, makes sense now!

And why would you compare them to Greasus or Kroak, which are special characters costing several hundred points each...

Not in terms of character or anything, the anvil is a better example i suppose. I was thinking more of a heavy hitter with special powers, wedged in an infantry block

WarmbloodedLizard
12-01-2010, 11:50
It's pretty ok.
e.g. for 235 points you get a subborn ond Ld8, SCR5, WS2, T3, 5+/4+ AS, 6+/5+ Ward, 25 Wounds unit.
it holds long enough to get a lance in the flank. the unit's main problem really isn't dying(who cares if they die? they are stubborn.) but psychology tests. (and, of course, as Artinam said, they don't fit into a pure knight army as they are on foot)

edit: yeah, hatred is probably kind of misleading when you first look at the unit, as it is pretty random and doesn't do anything at all.

Rolo Ramone
12-01-2010, 15:01
I was thinking on them with an small amount of pillgrims (maybe 8), so you get a cheap unit (less than 140 pts) with +4CR (just 2 ranks) and Stubborn. Thatīs enough to stay one turn or two for sure.