PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Riders Bows, Spears, Both?

Raptor812
12-01-2010, 12:05
I'm building a unit of 10 wolf riders. Bows and spears are cheap additions, but if you take both that's still 20 points. Is there a strong recommendation for either bows or spears?

Storak
12-01-2010, 12:12
a unit of 10 is not a good idea.

you want two units of 5, each with a musician and bows.

with 5, you have a good chance of losing one model fast, then you will no longer take animosity tests. the bows are there to measure distances and to annoy your opponent (forcing him into stupid charges)

spears only make sense, if you fight an army, that doesn t cause fear. ld 6 and animosity combined, deny you the charge against a fear causer in about2/3 of situations....

Avian
12-01-2010, 12:27
I prefer my wulfies in units of 5 with spear, short bows and a musician. Fairly cheap and can do a variety of different things (admittedly none of them overly effectively ;)).

Some things aren't worth charging (in which case bows are okay), some things aren't worth shooting (in which case spears are okay) and sometimes neither charging or shooting is worth it (in which case being cheap and expendable is okay).

cob
12-01-2010, 13:50
Personally I like my wolf riders naked, spears/bows are ok but since I normally play 2k, points are a bit of a premium. At 2250 or so I'd add both, just for some flexibility.

Fredmans
12-01-2010, 14:14
Spears and bows make for greater versatility, but if I had to choose one, I would take bows. They are better suited for harassment, march blocking and re-direction than assaults anyway, and sometimes those shortbows are surprisingly accurate. Spears come in handy if I would want to charge, and come at only 5 points. For the reasons mentioned, naked is perfectly fine as well.

Contrary to my advice, I run three units in 2k+, two with bows and spears, one with spears only, but I plead ignorance when assembling them.

On a side note, these units are worth their weight in gold for me, and I would never go to war without them.

/Fredmans

snottlebocket
12-01-2010, 15:40
I run wolfboyz in units of 5, no equipment whatsoever. Their greatest use is marchblocking and redirecting. They need no equipment for that and generally the opponent tries hard enough to get rid of them to null any chance of rallying too.

Sambojin
13-01-2010, 06:40
Both, definately both. It makes them so much better at the things they do. The thing they do is annoy things. Really, they never have to be in combat at all to fulfill a purpose on the battlefield(kind of making spears pointless, but its a threat-perception thing). I tend to take 4 units of five, bows, spears, w/muso. Because I'm lazy. And it makes the game easier.

You might also want to make a unit with nothing as a suicide/hate/frenzy/whatever drawing in tool. But really, you just saved 10 points for the option of it only being able to do one thing well. You may as well pay 10 points and let them do everything badly. They're amazing, they're just not very good at it. :)

Nurgling Chieftain
13-01-2010, 07:04
They're amazing, they're just not very good at it. :)Um... Okay? :p

ChaosVC
13-01-2010, 07:22
considering my reaver cav shoot rubber arrows...I think spears will do just fine for the gobbys.