PDA

View Full Version : ULF Poll - Lizardmen VoxPop!

Ultimate Life Form
12-01-2010, 18:07
It's been a while now, but as THE Lizardmen freak around these parts, of course I have to do this! :p

(Thanks to Asp and EmperorNorton for this great idea.)

With the inclusion of Lizardmen, we have every fantasy release in the last year covered. I wonder what people rate this one, reception was a bit ambivalent back then...

I say most of the new stuff was awesome, though clearly the umbrage of the new design could already be felt around them, and the Terradons suffered most horribly (I didn't buy any of these abominations). While I disliked the Kroxes first, they grew on me and now that I have the models and see them first-hand I have to admit they're great. Also the Stegadon's... odd appearance caused some ruckus first but it seems it is now generally accepted to be one of the best models GW ever made.

So when voting keep in mind that you vote the entire release as a single item, and only the new stuff. What is the average rating you give Lizardmen?

Lordsaradain
12-01-2010, 18:31
Love the new plastic stegadon so voted awesome.

Jetty Smurf
12-01-2010, 18:35
I had to vote for awesome.

The models themselves are pretty much the sole reason I got into Lizardmen, and even warhammer itself! I was actually being introduced to warhammer during the new release (back in feb last year) so it really was good timing for me.

Now maybe it's because I am new to the lizardmen, but after looking at all the older models for them I am sure as hell glad I got in when I did, and not 6-12 months earlier, else I would be kicking myself.

I do agree with you about the terradons for the most part. I honestly think they are still pretty cool looking models, but as compared to the previous edition(s) that I have seen around, there wasn't exactly much in the way of improvement (if any). The main problem I have with them is that they are a horrible, horrible model to assemble (damn wings not fitting at ALL!).

The kroxigors in my mind are leaps and bounds ahead of the previous incarnation, though I think (from what I have read) that they mixed up the models/rules. Seems like these bigger, chunkier krox's should have been +1 str compared to the previous ones, and not -1 str.

All in all I can understand where some of the complaints come from, but to me, they are definately the most appealing to my personal tastes.

Oh, and as far as the stegadon goes, man... if only all models were that fun/easy to assemble! :D

TheDarkDuke
12-01-2010, 18:35
I'll give them a good.

Temple guard - good sculpts (and not priced insanly like some other models....)

Kroxigors - didnt really like them at first but they are growing on me, although i still hate the ping pong weapon:wtf:

Razordon - decent model from what ive seen i havent actually seen one built however

Terradons - Blobs with wings for the loss!

bsb saurus - would be good if his face didnt get smashed by a stegadon
most of the special characters look good

Stegadon - awesome model, lots of options, good price this thing alone would have been enough for me to be honest.

Jetty Smurf
12-01-2010, 18:46
Kroxigors - didnt really like them at first but they are growing on me, although i still hate the ping pong weapon:wtf:

This is a perfect example of differences in personal taste. I, for one, love the "ping pong weapon" kroxigor (I assume you mean this one - http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300301&prodId=prod1690068&rootCatGameStyle=). I guess I prefer the big mace o' doom to the big stick o' doom :p. This does make me wonder whether I am in the minority on this though.

bsb saurus - would be good if his face didnt get smashed by a stegadon

I definitely agree with this. I love the big golden shiny standard he is carrying, but what is up with his head?

There is a reason I have yet to buy him. ;)

EmperorNorton
12-01-2010, 19:02
For the Lizardmen I have to say, so-so (which is right in the middle between my opinions on Skaven and Beastmen).
While I am the typical victim of shiny new model syndrome, the Lizardmen remain one of the four armies in the Fantasy range I have not started.
I wouldn't call any of the new models bad, but none of them inspired me to the point where I felt the urge to have it, either.
(Well, that's not entirely true, as there are a couple of Lizardmen on my table, waiting for their conversion to a Blood Bowl team to be completed, among which are several Temple Guard models. The idea for the conversion is older, though, and was in fact inspired by the Tehenhauin model released for the Lustria campaign.)

Schelle
12-01-2010, 19:20
I voted good. I stopped playing Lizardmen due to not being too keen on the new Slann Mage priest rules and no more sacred spawnings, but must admit that the new stegadon and temple guard are some excellent releases.

They should have released more new kits in plastic though.

Gunless Ganger
12-01-2010, 19:31
I voted them Good - Lizardmen are my main army and the models for the new release are mostly awesome, but a few sticking points drag them down.

Good: Stegadon, plastic Temple Guard, Kroxigors, Chakax

Bad (or neutral reaction from me): Same old Cold ones vs DE cold ones of Ass-kickery, Razzordon

Ugly: Terradons - for me they are a major step backwards.

N810
12-01-2010, 19:33
I realy Like the new steg it looks 1000% better than the old one.
the new Kroxigors where a bit of a disapointment, I was hopeing for a more T-rex type of head like 5th edition.
New terradons have a serious dental problem.
New temple guard are decent, like all the extra bits, thir back spikes do seem a bit odd tho.
The New Special Characters are great.
the new BSB would look good with a head swap.
I realy lie the Razordons, they are prety nice and fun to paint.

I like all the models from 6th edition and Lustria, and the 5th edition terradons and Kroxigors.

Ps. I am a bit disapointed we didn't get Dark Elf style Cold Ones. :(
Alltho they convert nicely.

fubukii
12-01-2010, 19:45
A+++++++++++++++++++

Bard Harlock
I liked the old Saurus a lot. The skinks were just a sculpted block. I mean, their arms were perma-stuck to their torso! The previous incarnation of the Slann were ugly.

Now, I like most of the models. Even though I do not like the Saurus as much, the Temple Guard rock, the skinks are more dynamically posed, the Slann look great (and a floating palanquin, brilliant!), Razordons are aces, and the new Stegadon while kind of stubby tail-wise, just looks terrific. Throw in Chakax, the skink with feathered cloak, and a couple of other characters as extras...

The new Lizardmen get an awesome from me. The reason I am playing Lizards instead of Dark Elves is the quality of the models and the fact that to build an army of Lizardmen it is a bit cheaper than the Dark Elves.

Malorian
I thought it was all pretty good.

I had hoped for a new slann model but I liked what we got.

Hiportes
12-01-2010, 21:04
I voted awesome. The terradons I thought didn't move up or down, but the steg model is one of my favorites, the Kroxigors are terrific, the Temple Guard look great, and Chakax is a great looking model. Overall, very satisfied.

Red Metal
12-01-2010, 23:15
Awesome enough that they're on my radar for my next WFB army.

Hrogoff the Destructor
12-01-2010, 23:54
They had a really good release I think.

The temple guard, Kroxigor, stegadons, and Chakax all look great.

The terradons were good, but should have been plastic. Trying to keep those things in one piece is quite difficult.

someone2040
13-01-2010, 01:00
They had a really good release I think.

The temple guard, Kroxigor, stegadons, and Chakax all look great.

The terradons were good, but should have been plastic. Trying to keep those things in one piece is quite difficult.
Pretty much agree on all accounts.
Terradons are somewhat iffy, I personally don't mind them other than the fact, they really really should have been plastic. Hello GW! Problem with metal wings the first time around, and yet again, redo them in metal.
BSB's face is *****, but the rest of the model isn't bad. The standard especially is fairly nice.
The Kroxigors lots of people were flip-flopping about, while I loved them from the first. Especially when I got my hands on them in an advance, and found out exactly how large they were. To me, they're my favourite Kroxigors so far, topping the 5th edition one's.
Stegadon is a change in style, but it works. Grumpy-Steg looks great, and we've got a great kit for him.
Temple Guard are mono-pose, could use a bit better work on the armour (Some will likely ask, what armour? Yeah... it's there, but it's so plain and boring you'd miss it). But other than that, they're great models. A little sad that the arms are sculpted into the shield now though.
Rest of the models, led by Chakax are very good looking as well.

So yeah, other than the hope that Terradons or Kroxigors would've been in plastic, but weren't in the end. The release was pretty awesome. Can only hope in future we get a plastic Salamander/Razordon kit, or hope they redo Terradons in plastic (Extremely unlikely though, given they were just redone in metal again).

Ultimate Life Form
13-01-2010, 01:08
Terradons are somewhat iffy, I personally don't mind them other than the fact, they really really should have been plastic. Hello GW! Problem with metal wings the first time around, and yet again, redo them in metal.

Yeah, I too was hoping (in vain obviously :rolleyes:) that GW would be intelligent enough to see the problem, but nooooo...

This is all the more annoying as the age-old Fell Bats, ugly as they may be, show that one CAN sculpt metal wings that won't fall off on the first occasion. That was truly a letdown. The Terradons definitely were the release's black spot.

ChaosVC
13-01-2010, 01:38
Good as usual.

Bac5665
13-01-2010, 04:19
Awesome:

Stegadon: best model ever

Temple Guard: Huge improvement

Kroxigor: I initially hated them, but I really like them now and think they are at least the same, if not better. And given that I thought the old ones were awesome, the new ones are pretty fine with me.

Terradons: God Awful. Forget the metal for a minute, they look like they have buck teeth. And the old ones look so much better in every way.

Saurus BSB: I don't like it much, but really, all the lizardmen heroes are terrible, so having any new one is an improvement.

Spiney Norman
13-01-2010, 08:58
Overall pretty good, the highlight of the release was undoubtedly the Temple Guard, plastic, great sculpts and mysteriously cheaper than their previous metal counterparts. To cap it all they got a really awesome hero sculpt, not that you'd actually want to field him as his utterly over-priced SC profile, but he does make an awesome Scar Vet with a great weapon (which otherwise the range doesn't cater for without significant conversion).

Next the Stegadon, another phenomenal model and a massive improvement over the (very) old metal sculpt. The Razordons were also pretty cool, looking a good deal meaner than the current sallies (still prefer 5th ed sallies if I'm honest).

The Kroxigor get an honourable mention, nice models (with the possible exception of the club-raised-over-head-bellowing pose), just not really nice enough to replace the 6 6th Ed Kroxies I already had, especially as the 6th Ed models fit their weedier 7th Ed profile much better than the towering walls of muscle they gave us as the new models.

and now on to the less-honourable mention, the saurus BSB... what can I say, the banner was kinda cool, the less said about the rest of the model with its mutated-skaven face and tooth-pick weapon the better.

And lastly the prize for "epic fail" of the release has to go to the terradon models, the only thing about those models that is even vaguely satisfactory is the riders, which of course, haven't changed from 6th Edition. I really don't know what they were thinking they were minotaur-level bad, everthing about the mounts it utterly hideous, the bulky, mis-shapen body, the awkwardly curving wings, the pointy "devil" tail, and probably worst of all, the exposed gums and bared teeth with that quite inexplicably huge gap at the back of the jaw.

Luckily I have 6 6th Ed terradon models, its a shame because they actually did a very good job with the the terradon rider hero, I just can't bring myself to spend 10 on a tiny plastic skink model that I'll have to ebay a mount for...

maze ironheart
13-01-2010, 09:32
I think the new lizardmen models are awsome the plastic steg got me too actually use a steg did not use one cause off the metal one.

Cragspyder
13-01-2010, 14:45
I really like the new book for the most part.

I like all the new options we get, even through I have yet to use most of them (Skink Chief with Lance on Stegadon, Ancient Stegadon, Engine of the Gods, Skrox units, Razordons). Even if Skrox and Razordons are kinda bad.

Love the changes to the Salamanders, they fill an important niche in the army. Like almost all of the magic items.

Like the Slann disciplines, hate that he can't go in the second rank unless he is in Temple Guard (I used to put him with normal Saurus all the time) but I get by somehow. Also sad about the loss of Kroxigor S7.

A bit of mixed feelings about Terradons as I miss the -1 to shooting and the 3 S4 attacks per model, but I love the rocks and especially the flying in trees.

Also very sad that Horned One Riders or Skinks with bows aren't allowed anymore :( Ah well.

TheMav80
13-01-2010, 14:46
Awesome, except for the Terradons. I hate the previous models too, though. So I just never use them.

The Temple Guard and Stegadon are great. I actually like the Kroxigor. If I didn't already own 8 (of a mix of the 2 previous styles) I would have bought some by now.

Rolo Ramone
13-01-2010, 14:55
Awesome Plastics. Not that happy with the Terradons really. The Krox are a big improvement. They look like those of 5th: Bigger and Bulkier.

Galatan
13-01-2010, 15:11
it's a good release IMO. I still prefer the previous kroxigors, but the current ones are ok I guess. Not great, but not bad either. The terradons are iffy, somehow I really really dislike the head, but they are as expensive as hell anyway so I would probably never buy them (60 euro's for a unit of 4 is a little too much for me).

The rest is great I think. Chatax is ace, stegadon is ace (probably gonna try to convert one to a arcanodon), Temple Guard are ace, head swap the bsb and it's a ok. Now if they only brought 1 or 2 more variants of skink priests, improve the saurus a little bit and remake the cold ones to dark elf standard (so that I wouldn't have to convert them....) and then the army would look great. I just hope they will hardly change the slann, because somehow I really love that model.