PDA

View Full Version : New Tyranid base sizes?

hendybadger
12-01-2010, 22:15
Does anyone know the size of the bases to use for all of the new Tyranid units without models?
Ive noticed that Biovores now have a bigger base aswell.
Are there any others that have changed?

Rydmend
12-01-2010, 23:51
Tyrannofex and tervigon go on 120x100 mm bases

harpy and swarmlord on 60mm

doom, parasite, deathleaper and alpha warrior on 40mm.

hendybadger
12-01-2010, 23:54
Is that the official sizes?
I would have thought the Tyranno and Harpy were the other way around

LonelyPath
13-01-2010, 00:03
If I was to field the Doom or Parasite I'd make them larger and use 60mm bases, but that's my preferrence.

Rydmend
13-01-2010, 00:05
All 6 wound models are on a 120x100mm base and 4 wound models on 60mm. (you could always use larger if you wanted)

That is the major breakdown from what I have heard.

LonelyPath
13-01-2010, 01:17
All 6 wound models are on a 120x100mm base and 4 wound models on 60mm. (you could always use larger if you wanted)

That is the major breakdown from what I have heard.

That is a good method to use, having the base sizes tied to the wounds of the model :)

Absolutionis
13-01-2010, 05:07

That is the major breakdown from what I have heard.That makes sense, but has this officially been stated anywhere yet?

It is quite debatable whether the Parasite should have a 20mm "medium" base or a "large" flying base.
Additionally, it is just as debatable whether the Harpy should likewise be on a "large" base or a "large" flying base. If the Eldar could mount Wave Serpents and Necrons can mount Monoliths on large flying bases, it may make sense for Tyranids to place a Harpy on a flying base.

Nevertheless, if GW officially stated the base sizes, so be it.

Finally, the 'rule' that larger bases are allowed is a 'rule-of-thumb- left over from the 4thEd BRB; the statement does not appear anywhere in 5thEd. 5thEd simply says the model must be mounted on the base that was provided, whatever that means for models that don't exist.
If anything it may be advantageous to mount the model on the smaller base if unsure so it could be easily placed on a larger base if and once GW declares something.

Clang
13-01-2010, 05:41
Yeah, Rydmend's stuff is logical, and my guess would be for 120x100 mm for spore pods too, but I've seen _nothing_ official. Personally I won't be making a lot of effort on bases for anything without an official model, just in case I have to rebase them later.

Rydmend
13-01-2010, 05:48
Yeah, Rydmend's stuff is logical, and my guess would be for 120x100 mm for spore pods too, but I've seen _nothing_ official. Personally I won't be making a lot of effort on bases for anything without an official model, just in case I have to rebase them later.

I heard the base size stuff from a black shirt....I figured he would have a good idea of what the base sizes were supposed to be. His answer sounded pretty logical as you just stated but who knows.

oCoYoRoAoKo
13-01-2010, 09:51
At the moment there are no official models for the Tervigon/harpy/etc so no official base sizes yet. I myself wouldnt mind the larger models on either a 120x100 or 60. I dont necessaraly think no. wounds is a fair system to use (as a ork Nob has 2 wounds and is only on a small base vs pyrovores on the 60mm)

Cy.

t-tauri
13-01-2010, 17:46
A number of trolling posts deleted. If you have a problem with a post please use the report post button at the left of the screen rather than attempting backseat moderation.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

hendybadger
13-01-2010, 17:49
Back on topic-

The wounds - base size rule seems a really good idea to work with.
The only thing that doesnt seem to fit is the Biovore on a 60mm base in the codex.

P.S- Thanks t-tauri