PDA

View Full Version : Do Xenos kill all humans on sight or vice versa?

Kogod
12-01-2010, 21:48
I was wondering about the xenophobia of Xenos races and humans in 40k.

Simply put do Xenos see a human and oh "OMFG MUST KILL NOW!!"

I'm guessing this is the case for Tyranids (eat, yum yum food) Orks, and obviously Necrons while Dark Eldar want to torture/enslave.

While the "good" races namely the Tau, and Eldar wouldn't necessarily kill them on sight. I think the Eldar would just go "damn, kids get off my lawn" and the Tau want you to ally with them or else.

The other question is do humans kill Xenos on sight? I'm sure the human military do on sight (even Tau and Eldar, imagine space Marines using them as heavy-bolter target practice for kicks) and the inquisition. But what about regular humans on agri-worlds who run into a Ork or an Eldar.

w00tm0ng3r
12-01-2010, 22:07
Orks, Nids, and necrons are pretty much kill on sight (if you can :p). Tau and Eldar would depend on what exactly it is. For example, the Tau water caste would probably not be shot on sight on most worlds as they do sometimes succeed in negotiations. I read somewhere that Alatoic at least used to exchange ambassadors with some human worlds quite frequently... I don't believe it was very recent fluff though so take it with a grain of salt.

Kogod
12-01-2010, 22:12
The thing is if a Space Marines ran into a random Eldar and killed him for being Xenos (lolz, its like you're guilty of existing) They'll be hell to pay when that random Void Stalker comes out of nowhere and zaps all your ships.

Tanith Ghost
12-01-2010, 22:20
All but the tau would try to kill a human. And the tau would not be far behind the others if the human refuses his offer of equal membership.(read=conquest at gunpoint)

WinglessVT2
12-01-2010, 22:58
Necrons, dark eldar, gray knights, and tyranids cannot be reasoned with, bought, or bribed.
Occasionally, you can convince an ork to do something for you, but it takes stupid amounts of loot to buy them over to your side.

The freebooterz are a good example of orks that are somewhat open to negotiation.

Marines don't kill all xenos on sight, but official dogma dictates they should. It varies from chapter to chapter, like all things related to marines.

The imperial guard is not above buying favors, making deals, and working with eldar, kroot, and tau.
Eldar and kroot, especially.

Eldar will do anything if their farseers predict it to be the right course of action, and even without a farseer backing them up, they'll still hold to oaths and debts much like fantasy dwarves - especially in the Inquisitor game.

Sisters of battle don't negotiate with anything alien, or anyone branded one or more types of heretic.

Tau gives EVERYONE they encounter a chance to drop their arms, and join the collective, with the sole exception of orks.
If you decline, you get riddled full of holes.

Master Jeridian
12-01-2010, 23:12
Orks have been known to take human slaves to produce munitions, etc.

Kogod
12-01-2010, 23:17
Tau gives EVERYONE they encounter a chance to drop their arms, and join the collective, with the sole exception of orks.
If you decline, you get riddled full of holes.

How do you give Tyranids a chance? :confused:

Or even Necrons... :skull::chrome::wtf:

Bloodknight
12-01-2010, 23:21
Humans will most likely kill everything except for Tau and Eldar on sight, with a couple of exceptions.

Eldar can and will sometimes negotiate.

Dark Eldar might negotiate if they really need something (but will backstab or doublecross their partner if it seems like a good idea. I am sort of ignoring BL fluff here because the DE look like idiots in almost all books and don't really fit their archetype that well).

Tau will at least negotiate if the planet wants to be a part of the Tau Empire. If not, they will probably attack unless they're too weak.

Kroot are mercenaries at their core. I guess they would most likely kill humans if attacked, but also as part of a "contract".

Orks are a bit special. Freebooters can probably be bought, and Blood Axes can definitely be bought. The rest won't negotiate, but all Orks are slavers, too.

How do you give Tyranids a chance?

Or even Necrons...

You try, then your ambassadors get eaten or disintegrated, then you attack.

Lord Malorne
12-01-2010, 23:22
Humans live in Tau space.

I'm guessing this is the case for Tyranids (eat, yum yum food) Orks, and obviously Necrons while Dark Eldar want to torture/enslave.

While the "good" races namely the Tau, and Eldar wouldn't necessarily kill them on sight. I think the Eldar would just go "damn, kids get off my lawn" and the Tau want you to ally with them or else.

The other question is do humans kill Xenos on sight? I'm sure the human military do on sight (even Tau and Eldar, imagine space Marines using them as heavy-bolter target practice for kicks) and the inquisition. But what about regular humans on agri-worlds who run into a Ork or an Eldar.

Think of where an Eldar would meet a humna... yes they would kill them, rarely not so, as to other non army races I am sure many would not, on sight at least.

Lord Mlaorne

chaos0xomega
12-01-2010, 23:37
Humans are a mixed bag. Your average citizen probably doesn't even realize that xenos exist. The only ones that are really going to go crazy over it are people higher up in the food chain - High Lords, system governors/etc. maybe some planetary governors, although they seem pretty easy to sway, and higher military leaders. The lower-downs are more willing to deal with other races as its simply more advantageous to them. Also depends on distance from Terra. The farther out you are, the less likely you are to give a damn.

Marines and Inquisition are pretty much "kill on sight" when it comes to xenos.

On the flip side, nids and crons kill on sight.
Hrud coexist (but they avoid contact with humans)
Tau are willing to trade and/or subjugate.
Eldar is tricky. Biel-Tann are known to kill anything that isn't Eldar on sight (including other Eldar if it means they can meet their goal). Other craftworlds are more willing to engage in trade and dialogue, and some eldar manage to get by within the Imperium (hiding from authority of course). As a whole? Nope, they're fine with humans (in fact, Eldrad tried to worn the Emperor of the Horus Heresy).
Orks are also a mixed bag. They arent xenophobic, they just like war/killing. They are as likely to kill a human as they are to kill themselves. They've also been known to take humans as slaves (which they also do to themselves).
Kroot don't care as long as they get paid + get genetic material.
Dark Eldar just want slaves.
etc. etc. etc.

Kogod
12-01-2010, 23:49
Orks are also a mixed bag. They arent xenophobic, they just like war/killing. They are as likely to kill a human as they are to kill themselves. They've also been known to take humans as slaves (which they also do to themselves).

etc. etc. etc.

I think generally Kroot are more reasonable than Orks.

In any case if the above is true my question is this. IF I'm some average citizen in a 1 man ship and my warp-drive goes down and I crash onto a Ork Planet.

Should I have reason for concern? I just don't want to be eaten/killed for sport on sight. "Hey guys, I love Orks. Come on I really do..." :) "Don't kill me please.."

Would the Orks let me get off the planet?

azimaith
13-01-2010, 00:21

Xenos don't kill humans on sight outside of their nature. Obviously tyranids really encounter humans when they're only goal is to eat them, so that's a no brainer unless your talking about genestealers who do not kill humans on sight.

Necrons also do not kill humans on sight unless it is required by their mission. If they're simply going to harvest populations for a quick bite for their gods then its typically a mass slaughter, but other times they appear, take anywhere from one person to an entire village and vanish entirely with no other information. They could simply take them back to get eaten at the C'tan's leisure or perhaps, take a pariah to make a new er, pariah. They may go as far as to farm humans like cattle to ensure a plentiful supply for their gods keeping them alive just long enough to procreate.

Orks are similar, some will kill on sight, others won't. Others simply enslave people. Eldar and Dark Eldar are the most human like (or perhaps humans are the most eldar like) race thats been encountered (on the scale that a gorilla is a close ancestor to human beings of course) and thus they actually manage to negotiate on occasion. I suppose not being a mass of writhing tentacles and suckered mouths helps that process.

Same with tau who actually seem the most willing to negotiate frankly because they're rather reasonable in the 40k theme.

In fact, there is no major alien race that kills humans 100% of the time on contact. Tyranids don't with Genestealer cults, Necrons don't with their pariah harvests (mass kidnappings are still debatable), Orks don't with their slaving, and neither do eldar, dark eldar, or tau.

In any case if the above is true my question is this. IF I'm some average citizen in a 1 man ship and my warp-drive goes down and I crash onto a Ork Planet.

Should I have reason for concern? I just don't want to be eaten/killed for sport on sight. "Hey guys, I love Orks. Come on I really do..." :) "Don't kill me please.."

What you would need to do is this. First, find an ork thats unsuspecting and kill him in secret.

Then smear yourself with his blood and get into a loin cloth, find the biggest ork you can find and give him a sucker punch in the eye socket.
Win the subsequent fight and then you can probably go.
Failing that find a pack of grots and kick the living snot out of them, make it a spectacle among spectacles for the orks and they may keep you alive for entertainment until the boss gets ungry' Enough time to sneak off and escape.

insan0
13-01-2010, 01:12

Depends on the amount of Orks on the planet. A heavily infested planet wouldn't bode well, either killed on sight or killed by some monstrous Ork in a brawl to prove your 'orkyness'. A more sparsely populated planet and the Orks would be a little smaller and spaced out. You would still be challenged but your odds are a bit better.

You should check out GorkaMorka - DiggaNob. It has some info on the 'culture clash' as humans attempt to emulate and survive in an Ork controlled area.

--Dave

chaos0xomega
13-01-2010, 01:30

Hell no. They'd put you to work as a runt... hell, even the grotz would probably treat you like crap. But kill you just for the hell of it? Depends on which clan was in charge/who came upon you first. A Big Mek might want to study you (by which I mean disect you while you were alive...) while a warboss might make you his pet, a stormboy would probably take you prisoner (which would probably be a good thing, with all their discipline they probably are signers of the gretchineva conventions :shifty: ), etc. etc.

Necrons also do not kill humans on sight unless it is required by their mission. If they're simply going to harvest populations for a quick bite for their gods then its typically a mass slaughter, but other times they appear, take anywhere from one person to an entire village and vanish entirely with no other information. They could simply take them back to get eaten at the C'tan's leisure or perhaps, take a pariah to make a new er, pariah. They may go as far as to farm humans like cattle to ensure a plentiful supply for their gods keeping them alive just long enough to procreate.

Generally when necrons are involved, everything dies. There are a few exceptions to this (either there is a C'tan present or they are trying to set up a farm, in which case you're going to die eventually, but not until your number is called).

azimaith
13-01-2010, 02:02
Generally when necrons are involved, everything dies. There are a few exceptions to this (either there is a C'tan present or they are trying to set up a farm, in which case you're going to die eventually, but not until your number is called).

Dying eventually is the inevitable fate of all mortal races. Being killed on sight is not.

Idaan
13-01-2010, 10:29
There were regular diplomatic relations between Imperium and Alaitoc until M36 (the outbreak of Beelze War), similar with Iyanden. Eldrad and Ursarkar E. Creed had a formal pact of non-aggression during 13th Black Crusade and Iyanden troops defended Ichar IV alongside Ultramarines and Guard (shame it doesn't get mentioned anymore) as a planned operation. There was official cooperation during the Gothic War, orchestrated by Inquisitor Horst. Government of Calixis Sector issues orders not to attack Kaelor forces when it passes through the Sector and the Eldar of Varantha Craftworld regularly trade with Hydraphur. There were envoys sent from the Eldar to peacefully resolve Assyri and Orar's Tomb crises while Autarch Elenduil returned fallen Space Wolves' bodies to their chapter purely out of honour.

Yeah, it's not all doom and gloom and purge the Xeno.

Iuris
13-01-2010, 11:02
There are far too many Xenos species to make any generalized statements. While 40k tabletop may get away with forgeting all but the codex xenos, the background has the entire galaxy densely populated with Xenos.

The cultures of them will, of course vary. Even the xenos I know of will vary. Some will go for your throat, some will go for your gnady, some will go for your wallet and some will get along with you.