PDA

View Full Version : New GW Stores

The Ginger Ninja
13-01-2010, 02:29
How does GW go about making the decision of where to put new stores?

Lord Malorne
13-01-2010, 02:30
Voodoo.

They look at indies and usualy replace them.

Lord Malorne

The Ginger Ninja
13-01-2010, 07:43
Voodoo.

They look at indies and usualy replace them.

Lord Malorne

Indies?
SPACE FILLER

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
13-01-2010, 07:59
Indies?
SPACE FILLER

Independent storefronts. As in, owned by someone who isn't GW.

RevEv
13-01-2010, 08:05
It's a bit more complex than that.

They look at the success of their products in the independent sector in an area where there is no store then decide whether it is viable to put a store in that region. I would also think they factor in the 'I want a store' campaign and the weight of mail order to a specific area.

blongbling
13-01-2010, 09:23
ok, there is something called the MH shopping index. This is a list of the top retail locations that also has information on things like customers types, spending power, area of attraction, etc.

This forms the basis of the data that GW uses to position its GW stores and also where it needs to get more independent retailers.

Using this as the base data GW then puts onto it their sales numbers and are then able to pull up a list of locations that based on the MH data and the GW data would enable them to open a profitable store. This list is then compared to the list of GW trade accounts in that region and the difference between what a GW store would do and what the Independent store is doing is looked at.

If the difference is sufficient (and the indie isn't growing in its sales and represents a real opportunity to maximise the profit from that region) then GW will place a store there. If on the flip side the indie is performing at a sufficient level then GW will not open a store there.

This is also used to target the sales teams on locations for opening new indies. The "I want a store promotion" was a trade sales promotion to get people to send in details of indies so that the trade team could contact them, not to work out where to place retail stores.

To be honest having seen the amount of work that went into setting this up this is the most hitec that GW has got on its store placements ever.

marv335
13-01-2010, 10:10
The way they used to do it, was to see if a town had a large "Mothercare" shop.
If it did, there was a good chance there was a large population of kids to sell their products to.

sigur
13-01-2010, 10:53
Here in Vienna, we have two GW stores that were opened within a relatively short timespan (2005 and 2006/7 if I remember correcctly) and in very different places. One opened on the top end of the second biggest shopping mile (think Oxford Street but about 1/3rd of the size) where two indies were selling GW stuffs already and a big toy store also recently picked up selling GW products.

The main reason probably was the unfortunately called WoW (World of Warhammer), a tabletop gaming club that was founded a few years before the release of this computer game of about the same name. The GW store opened about on the other side of the street.

The other store was opened in a mall the opposite side of the city. Never been there but I'm pretty sure that there was no real community or at least infrastructure there before that but the first store seemingly did so well that they decided to tap the rest of the city as well.

Mannimarco
13-01-2010, 13:41
we used to have a decent little toystore/model railway store

had all kinds of stuff in there from all the stuff you find in your local toys are us to lots and lots of model trains but sadly it closed and a shrot time later a GW popped up directly opposite from where it used to be

Griefbringer
13-01-2010, 14:02
Here in Vienna, we have two GW stores that were opened within a relatively short timespan (2005 and 2006/7 if I remember correcctly) and in very different places. One opened on the top end of the second biggest shopping mile (think Oxford Street but about 1/3rd of the size) where two indies were selling GW stuffs already and a big toy store also recently picked up selling GW products.

Maria Hilfer -Strasse? I don't recall seeing that when I was strolling around there last time, though I recall having visited some of the indie stores back in 2007.

N810
13-01-2010, 14:15
Well they need to put some more over here in the Sates beacuse at the moment most stores are literaly hundreds of miles apart from each outher. :(

Lord Malorne
13-01-2010, 14:19
I thought they where winding down in the US?

Lord Malorne

blongbling
13-01-2010, 15:40
nope, they are gearing up in the US, GW plans to open a lot of stores over the next five years especially outside of the UK

Lord Malorne
13-01-2010, 15:42
Why are the GD's being cancelled?

Lord Malorne

x-esiv-4c
13-01-2010, 15:52
Poor attendence. I'm sure there are some financial numbers to reason it.

blongbling
13-01-2010, 16:17
consolidated not cancelled. I would imagine its an issue with a finite amount of staff having to leave their regular jobs to go and do and organise the multiple US GD's. Having one makes it far easier

Chaos and Evil
13-01-2010, 17:07
GW's US strategy has changed, as I understand it, from being focused on a wide net strategy (putting ten stores in five different cities) to one of local market saturation (putting ten stores in a single city)... correct?

squilverine
13-01-2010, 19:49
GW are also known for opening stores in any major new shopping centres that open up, there are two reasons for this. It attracts kids who are being dragged around by their parents and it also gives them a stronger national profile.

Normaly these are the best stores to go to for new releases, as they tend to have fewer "regulars" so they are less likely to sell out.

sigur
15-01-2010, 15:23
Maria Hilfer -Strasse? I don't recall seeing that when I was strolling around there last time, though I recall having visited some of the indie stores back in 2007.

Yeah, the Mariahilferstraße one was the first store (also known as "Vienna 1"). It's a bit hidden in a mall but instantly recognizable by the lifesize Ultramarine in front. Unfortunately, it's on the opposite end of the indie store I usually go to. The GW store itself is quite big and a nice place (albeit kinda clinical and very bright) for a GW store. Totally different to the indie stores. But you didn't really miss out on much; visiting the different indies probably was more important. :)

N810
15-01-2010, 16:05
GW's US strategy has changed, as I understand it, from being focused on a wide net strategy (putting ten stores in five different cities) to one of local market saturation (putting ten stores in a single city)... correct?

Oh man I hope not :(
I don't live any where near a big city. :eyebrows:

Griefbringer
15-01-2010, 20:05
But you didn't really miss out on much; visiting the different indies probably was more important.

Well, if I really wanted to visit a GW store, I could do it in my hometown.

But indeed, the indie stores in Vienna were quite interesting. The most memorable one had in stock a lot of LARP stuff and a variety of meads. Their miniature selection was not particularly interesting, but I ended up taking one bottle of the mead home - quite good stuff.

eriochrome
15-01-2010, 20:39
GW closed half the stores in Michigan 2 weeks ago. The kept both the North Metro Stores but closed both the westside stores.

Schmapdi
15-01-2010, 21:11

That seems about right. It would explain why they have 12+ stores in Chicagoland, but none in the entirety of the rest of Illinois, as well as 0 in neighboring states of Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, and IIRC Wisconsin.

It seems rather ridiculous to me.

ICLRK625
15-01-2010, 23:18
GW closed half the stores in Michigan 2 weeks ago. The kept both the North Metro Stores but closed both the westside stores.

Did they? Huh, proves how long it's been since I've gone to one.

So I take it the Rochester and Great Lakes Crossing ones stayed open? Although I'd be shocked if the Novi one closed, it was by far the best.

CraftworldsRus
16-01-2010, 00:27
That seems about right. It would explain why they have 12+ stores in Chicagoland, but none in the entirety of the rest of Illinois, as well as 0 in neighboring states of Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, and IIRC Wisconsin.

It seems rather ridiculous to me.

Yeah, the GW push around Chicago just makes NO sense to me. Hell, the Shorewood and Naperville stores are within 15 or 20 minutes of each other on the SAME ROAD. Seems like overkill.

eriochrome
16-01-2010, 03:08
Did they? Huh, proves how long it's been since I've gone to one.

So I take it the Rochester and Great Lakes Crossing ones stayed open? Although I'd be shocked if the Novi one closed, it was by far the best.

Yes, those are the ones that stayed open. Novi closed which was the only one I ever went to since it was near a store my wife liked to stop at. The closer store in Ypsi also closed. I think there are better independents on the west side

ICLRK625
16-01-2010, 13:33
Yes, those are the ones that stayed open. Novi closed which was the only one I ever went to since it was near a store my wife liked to stop at. The closer store in Ypsi also closed. I think there are better independents on the west side

Yah, it's the opposite on the east side, all of our independents closed, while I've heard they're going to be opening new GW stores. I don't mind either way, I rarely game in public, but when I did, I always liked indy stores.

Setha
16-01-2010, 13:36
The way they used to do it, was to see if a town had a large "Mothercare" shop.
If it did, there was a good chance there was a large population of kids to sell their products to.

ironically, my local store is next door to a massive mothercare,and toy shop the other side.

eriochrome
16-01-2010, 18:45
Yah, it's the opposite on the east side, all of our independents closed, while I've heard they're going to be opening new GW stores. I don't mind either way, I rarely game in public, but when I did, I always liked indy stores.

I have seen the indy stores come and go in the Metro area. When I was a kid we used to go to the Alcove in Royal Oak, As a teenager it was Riders in Madison Heights, I moved away for a few years but when I visited my Mom's place it was Old Guard about 2 miles away. All of those are gone now that I am back in the area Metro area.

ICLRK625
17-01-2010, 05:32
I have seen the indy stores come and go in the Metro area. When I was a kid we used to go to the Alcove in Royal Oak, As a teenager it was Riders in Madison Heights, I moved away for a few years but when I visited my Mom's place it was Old Guard about 2 miles away. All of those are gone now that I am back in the area Metro area.

It was Old Guard for me, I went to Riders years back as well. I'd blame the economy, but Old Guard is really the only one to go in recent years, unless you count Blue Dragon, and God knows I don't.

petesamd
18-01-2010, 04:41
We could use a Store here in Rhode Island! it's pretty barren in the way of warhammer.

The Ginger Ninja
18-01-2010, 07:02
We could use a Store here in Rhode Island! it's pretty barren in the way of warhammer.
We only have indie stores in the south island in new zealand

geoffkemp
18-01-2010, 16:47
Saw this article (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-business/article-23795555-games-workshop-pushes-into-america.do) in the Standard, regarding Games workshop and the US

Codsticker
18-01-2010, 16:56
I am interested to see how Mr. Kirby approaches this assignment; will he stay the course, making minor changes or totally revamp the program.

General Veers
18-01-2010, 21:31
Here's what will happen...

He will show up for work. Speak and observe. Then he'll make commands and pick whichever end of the pendulum GW has used in the past 20 years in the US (but is still within the GW business model) and shovel money and effort into that. And as before it will fail. He will return to the UK a success.

In other words, nothing positive for retailers or consumers will come from this.