PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer reality show! The forgotten heroes!

Urgat
13-01-2010, 03:02
So I'm not too much into special characters honestly, but looking at the current books got me thinking. Take Warriors of Chaos, it's pack full of special characters. Then they used to have a whole armybook completly dedicated to them, and not one of them made it there (Iirc Archaon was in the regular book), nope, not one, they all got replaced by new ones. Anyway - it seems to me most armies suffered the same fate and, while it's only a personal opinion, and I may pass as one of those old geezers who keep going on about how it was better before, I have a fondness for those old characters, they seemed to have more character (ohohoh, prime time joke) than the current ones, they were more original too.
And so I got to think; if I had to pick three characters (out or any army book), and replace them with older ones, which ones would I pick? There's those stupid reality shows these days that work somehow like that, right? (hence the lame thread title)
Well, of course, I've focused mostly on greenskins.

Surprisingly, I didn't have to go too far back in time for the first one: Wuurzag it is (6th edition OnG armybook).
One awesome character, funny, with nice rules, very orcish and, even better: no matter your army, even if it's heavily based on fluff, he has his place there, much like the Green Knight. Wasn't too difficult to choose which haracter to kick out to make room for him: Grimgor. I hate Grimgor, he's boring, contrary to what people seem to think, he goes against the background (black orcs are supposed to be very quiet, very calm even for orcs... Grimgor fluff is more fitting for a savage orc character really) and, despite being presented as something like THE orc warlord, unlike, say, Archaon, he's just not necessary at all, removing him wouldn't change anything to the orc background.
Get out Grimgor.

Second is another orc, this time a black orc: Morglum Necksnapper. He's what a black orc warboss should be, a warrior beast coupled with cunning and a surprisingly keen tactical sense. He even got catch sentences. Not much more to say. More difficult to find a character to replace, though. I picked Gorbad, because it had to be an orc, there's only two gob characters, would be stupid to remove one, and, well, I'm not fond of dead characters at all.

And the third? Well, I would love to say Amon Shakai because I got a grudge against him and would like to take my revenge on him, and that new LoC is lame compared to him. But no, he wasn't that awesome that he deserves to be back. I would also like to say Bertrand the brigand and his sidekick, who was a great character, different from all those badass killer warriors who roam about the Old World, and illustrated well what Warhammer could be, but I just can't think of any Bretonian character to remove, and I got to keep to my own rules, right? Well, it is an undead character I picked in the end. The Red Duke (That's keeping in mind it's a Vampire Counts army book and not an undead one, or I would have picked Heinrich Kemler without second thoughts). I don't actually remember very well about him, but I remember he was cool, and since I don't like dead (you get my meaning in this case :p) characters, it's past Mannfred who's got to get out. Get out Mannfred! Leave the place to current Mannfred! Geez man!

Honestly, there's a load of characters I would have liked to pick (giving the chance to Arbaal to actually be worth his nickname, for exemple), but well... what about you? Who would you bring back, who would you kick out? Only three, rea&lly, I insist, no more, it's more fun if you actually have to think hard about the ones you REALLY want to bring back, and the ones you REALLY want to get rid of. Head out for Warseer and cast your vote for candidate A, B or C! ( only 15$ the call plus 5 a minute!).

Eoloran
13-01-2010, 03:18
I would replace Tyrion with Imrik. Tyrion is really boring, while Imrik was the character that got me interested in High Elves to begin with.

I would also replace Eltharion the Grim with Eltharion the Blind Swordmaster.

I'm not really familiar with the other armybooks though, so I guess this is it.

Ultimate Life Form
13-01-2010, 04:11
As for Lizardmen (what else :rolleyes:), I'm glad they tried to give us some interesting Special Characters this time around, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they had to pull Gor-Rok (frankly a very bland character) outta their hat when we already have 2 established Saurus Heroes. My vote goes for Lotl Botl knocking Gor-Rok down a peg and resume his position.

ChaosVC
13-01-2010, 04:31
You know, there are actually alot of interesting chars in the storm of chaos...but it never happen.

R-Love
13-01-2010, 05:47
As for Lizardmen (what else :rolleyes:), I'm glad they tried to give us some interesting Special Characters this time around, but I cannot for the life of me understand why they had to pull Gor-Rok (frankly a very bland character) outta their hat when we already have 2 established Saurus Heroes. My vote goes for Lotl Botl knocking Gor-Rok down a peg and resume his position.

Who was the Second? the only one I can think of was Kroq, and I believe he was supposed to be Kroq-Gar (less of a pun too, which is an added bonus). I don't understand why they didn't add Nakai:mad:. Always loved him, and he had the bonus of being an any-army character, too :D

Ultimate Life Form
13-01-2010, 06:15
Who was the Second? the only one I can think of was Kroq, and I believe he was supposed to be Kroq-Gar (less of a pun too, which is an added bonus). I don't understand why they didn't add Nakai:mad:. Always loved him, and he had the bonus of being an any-army character, too :D

Yes, it's Kroq. I suppose he's different from Kroq-Gar because a) he's got a different name b) he's a Hero, not a Lord and c) he's quite different from him (Kroq-Gar has loads of magic items and the Mark of Xhotl that Kroq lacks, on the other hand, judging by the model he doesn't seem to have Kroq's oversized jaws).

Nakai was a playable character? :confused: When, where, why?

Also, for pun names, if they can keep Kroak, U'Lahup and Itzi Bitzi around, I think Kroq won't hurt, either.

I wonder though if the legendary Saurus Hero Lotl who is mentioned in Lustria and the new Army book could actually be Lotl Botl?

Sygerrik
13-01-2010, 06:38
I'd like to see Wurrzag replace Gorbad, since I don't think Gorbad's rules encapsulate what a badass he was supposed to be. I'd like to see Aekold Helbrass come back and replace Vilitch, who's a fairly bland character. And I'd like to get Krell back to replace Konrad, although I wouldn't be averse to seeing Repanse de Lyonesse, since the Bretonnian book only has two special characters. Back in the day it was 2-3 characters per book, now it's 6-10; the Beastmen book has ten characters!

Lordsaradain
13-01-2010, 07:27
Yeah I want Wurrzag back too! He was my favorite character in the 6th edition book, and the only SC I've actually fielded in a game. I love how he could turn others into squigs. :D

Jind_Singh
13-01-2010, 07:49
I miss all the special dwarven characters (And I never played that army ever either!)

The slayer king
The king whose family was killed by orcs

There were so many cool characters for the list!

Ultimate Life Form
13-01-2010, 07:53
The king whose family was killed by orcs

Is there any other kind? :rolleyes:

GuyLeCheval
13-01-2010, 07:57
well, I as a Skaven player should not mourn, except for the loss of the 'killer' Snitch :p

Von Wibble
13-01-2010, 08:00
I would replace Tyrion with Imrik. Tyrion is really boring, while Imrik was the character that got me interested in High Elves to begin with.

I would also replace Eltharion the Grim with Eltharion the Blind Swordmaster.

I'm not really familiar with the other armybooks though, so I guess this is it.

So you want to replace one of the most iconic high elves with one who has never had any special rules???? Imrik has always just been a prince with some magic items (OK +1WS and better monster reaction but these are cosmetic changes). He can easily be made from the current book.

To correct the OP, Archaeon was in the additional book for 5th edition and not the original one, which contained no special characters at all.

Most special characters I liked never got a model in the first place. My list would be

1) Marius Leitdorf. They released a model without rules only recently!

2) Azazel. Slaanesh has a total of 2 special characters in both chaos books combined.

3) Dechala the Denied One. See 2

4) I agree with OP on Morglum. "Da East is Green". Great line.

5) I also agree on Arbaal.

6) The Everqueen. Or at least her Maiden Guard.

7) Wychwethal the Wild and Scarloc. Wood elf book is really lacking in characters.

8) The Bowmen of Bergerac.

9) Aekold Hellbrass. Very interesting character who could have some different rules. Any chaos character who has flowers grow underfoot deserves respect. (I would have all models within 6", friend or foe, gain regeneration on a 6+ for his gift of life).

10) Egrimm van Horstmann. This is the model that should replace Villitch. He was never really given any special rules before though (apart from access to light magic) - that needs changing.

And of course a bonus choice

11) NAGASH! (well, possibly not viable as given the fluff he should be 1500 odd points...)

I also dislike the fact that some special characters who have led armies and should be at the least Heroes if not lords are champion upgrades. Tullaris and Kouran both should be character choices - I'd even consider taking them if they had more than 1 wound.

Belverker
13-01-2010, 08:58
Archaon was in the Champions of Chaos book not the 5th edition Army book. Also Scyla was in it and Khazrak and Gorthor from the Beastmen book.

On topic I would love to see Arbaal back as well as Valnir.

Poseidal
13-01-2010, 09:44
Another vote for Aekold and Van Horstmann for Chaos Mortals. Replacing Vilitch (very unimpressed by this guy), but I'm not sure who else. I'm not impressed by Festus, but replacing him would mean 0 Nurgle Characters and 3+ Tzeentch ones!

For the High Elves, the Everqueen stands out for me. I'd replace one of the unit upgrade guys, or maybe the Shadow King as they seem less iconic.

Ariel for the Wood Elves, maybe the Treeman hero. There are so few named characters in that book (since it's a 6th edition one), I would hesitate to do any replacing yet.

The Red Scourge
13-01-2010, 10:00
You know, there are actually alot of interesting chars in the storm of chaos...but it never happen.

Its never happened.. yet!

Up north Archaon is gathering hordes, great ships are being built to take his force across the sea and bring on the end times.

danny-d-b
13-01-2010, 10:09
Another vote for Aekold and Van Horstmann for Chaos Mortals. Replacing Vilitch (very unimpressed by this guy), but I'm not sure who else. I'm not impressed by Festus, but replacing him would mean 0 Nurgle Characters and 3+ Tzeentch ones!

For the High Elves, the Everqueen stands out for me. I'd replace one of the unit upgrade guys, or maybe the Shadow King as they seem less iconic.

Ariel for the Wood Elves, maybe the Treeman hero. There are so few named characters in that book (since it's a 6th edition one), I would hesitate to do any replacing yet.

get rid of festus- how dare you, its him that my entire army is baced around!!

I'd like the idea of getting some more slanesh caractets though, I mean there isn't the special GD for slanesh (yet the other 3 have 1) and there is only sigvald in the WOC book so having 1 more would be good

as for other caracter, the fire wizzard from the empire, he was cool, unlike gelt, who is to misterious for his own good in my view

and of corse gotrek and felix should be special caracters in the new dwarf book!

Condottiere
13-01-2010, 10:42
Leonardo di Miragliano needs an update.

snurl
13-01-2010, 11:22
Bring back Aarball the unsellable!

Arnizipal
13-01-2010, 12:16
I liked Gorfang Rotgut, the Orc Warlord who broke into a Dwarf hold and nailed a Dwarf prince to his father's throne :p

And another vote for Morglum Necksnapper. I'll take him over Grimgor any day.

Kilor the Slayer
13-01-2010, 13:10
I don't play WOC (now)but my vote goes for the undivided hero in the original character book who had random stats, *something* the unchosen or whatever.

Nothing screams chaos more than a character that has random stats. Back when all abilities had point values, my opponents used to let me make characters using that ability because it was so fun.

I also vote for Aekold Hellbrass, now that was a cool idea for a character.

I think they should remove villitch, and of course archaon who should now be a spawn.

I hope they bring back Skaw the falconer for WE and possibly Ariel.

Azethel
13-01-2010, 13:29
Aekhold Hellbrass is my all time favourite special char closely followed by Engrim both should be brought back. I would drop villich in a second for Aekhold.

Jezzer
13-01-2010, 13:39
11) NAGASH! (well, possibly not viable as given the fluff he should be 1500 odd points...)

How about Lord Kroak? Just dont tell me you think Nagash should be stronger? :) and 6E Kroak was "only" 1200pts

Gaargod
13-01-2010, 14:16
Kroak. No, he is not in the current army book. What's currently in the army book is so watered down, its not even worth the effort. If you're going to make rules for one of the most powerful beings on the planet, do it properly!

Nakai. REALLY don't undersand why they didn't add him in. He's one of the few special characters who can legitimately be in any battle.

There are tons of orc characters needlessly dropped. To be fair, they did a better job than a lot of books, actually using, mostly, characters we'd heard about before. Compared to WoC and DoC especially.

Leogun_91
13-01-2010, 14:53
I wouldn't want any special character to be removed beacouse no matter which one that disapear someone used that character and liked it's fluff.

Ones I would like to see come back would however be
1)Belakor, the dark master: As a lord choice for either woc or Doc or possibly both (he has been known to lead both types of armies), he is a cool model fit for worldwide campaigns.
2) I would like Ungrim Ironfist to return as he could allow you to field a slayer army (just add the rule that says that slayers are core if he is the general).
3) I would like Alric Raunulfsson to return as he was a cool character in the first warhammer armybook I ever bought.

If really forced Wulfrik would go for Belakor and Thorek for Ungrim while Alric would remain forgotten.

Fobster
13-01-2010, 14:55
I'd like to see morglum back so grimgor could hand him his ****.

P.s. Wurzag was the worst character ever.

Rolo Ramone
13-01-2010, 15:08
- Respanse, our Joan of Arc. She is one of the three peasants who turn to Knight (No thanks for Huebald, who die in his first battle...).

- Betrand and Company. Les drink and shoot!!!!

- Baron Odo DŽOutreme and Sullivan. Those two are cool.

- Roland, just because I have the same name.

enyoss
13-01-2010, 18:42
BACK IN PLAY:

Count Mordrek the Damned: there was never any model for this guy, but his character was great.

Aekhold Helbrass: Von Wibble has it on this. One sentence about flowers growing under his feet has burned in our imagination for 15 years. So much potential to tap here.

Marius Leitdorf: although Helborg and Todbringer give him a run for his money, this guy was one of the best realized special characters for Empire and had some nice rules.

BACK ON THE BENCH:

Chaos Characters: there are so many I think are utterly characterless from both the Warrior and Daemon books. Skarbrand? Yawn.

Grimgor: dull, dull, dull, dull, dull. He's taking up a Morglum shaped slot in that list for sure.

Korhil + Caradryan: I don't know why, but I hate these guys. I'd much rather have seen Belanear make a return (although he was never really `there' in the first place to be fair, as he didn't have a model).

BANISHED FOREVER:

The Everqueen: great model, but really? It's like having Gandhi in your army i.e. nonsensical. Even at Finuval Plain, when she was actually present at a battle, she spent the duration tarting herself up (probably... she didn't do anything else anyway).

Ariel: get lost, your're not welcome either.

ONES I WAS HAPPY TO SEE RETURN:

Eltharion + Shadow King: only in their correct incarnations though I'll add.

Grom: where would Eltharion be without good old Grom?

RGB
13-01-2010, 21:30
Actually, regarding Marius: he did have his own model.

Along with Boris Todbringer, Valmir von Raukov, and Alderbrand Ludenhof. Other Empire characters that had models previously were Thyrus Gormann (I wants him back!), KF, Kurt, Ludwig, Balthasar and Volkmar.

R-Love
13-01-2010, 21:37
Yes, it's Kroq. I suppose he's different from Kroq-Gar because a) he's got a different name b) he's a Hero, not a Lord and c) he's quite different from him (Kroq-Gar has loads of magic items and the Mark of Xhotl that Kroq lacks, on the other hand, judging by the model he doesn't seem to have Kroq's oversized jaws).

Nakai was a playable character? :confused: When, where, why?

Also, for pun names, if they can keep Kroak, U'Lahup and Itzi Bitzi around, I think Kroq won't hurt, either.

I wonder though if the legendary Saurus Hero Lotl who is mentioned in Lustria and the new Army book could actually be Lotl Botl?

On the Kroq/Kroq-Gar thing, I assumed they did this because 1) They wanted a new saurus character, but were too lazy to think of an original name, 2) They wanted to erase all memory of the horrible pun names of 5th (though this doesn't explain Tic-Tac-Toe). So in summary, yes, I believe he was the same character

I don't believe Nakai ever had rules, but he was an awesome concept, and they missed a great opportunity to include him in the list

There are plenty of other characters I'd like back (Valnir, Kemmler, and Morglum off the top of my head), but I don't think we'll get them back any time soon:(

Poseidal
13-01-2010, 22:08
Actually, regarding Marius: he did have his own model.

Along with Boris Todbringer, Valmir von Raukov, and Alderbrand Ludenhof. Other Empire characters that had models previously were Thyrus Gormann (I wants him back!), KF, Kurt, Ludwig, Balthasar and Volkmar.
The funny thing about Marius is he got an updated, new model quite recently... now he has no rules to go with him!

enyoss
13-01-2010, 22:18
The funny thing about Marius is he got an updated, new model quite recently... now he has no rules to go with him!

Hopefully they'll do the same for Todbringer and then release updated rules for them both. Where are our thoroughly mediocre yet heroic characters of old? :D

Sygerrik
13-01-2010, 23:56
Thyrus Gormann was always kind of a fun character. He chucked around a hell of a lot of power dice for an Empire character. I also like Eltharion the Blind a lot more than Eltharion the Emo (sorry, the Grim).

I don't like all the Grimgor hate :(. Grimgor is incredibly badass! He's one of the no-frills, nothing fancy, kill everything in your way special characters. Sometimes I like a bunch of fruity special rules, sometimes I just like having planting a metal-shod foot up someone's ****.