PDA

View Full Version : Army Rankings

Marneus Calgar
13-01-2010, 03:24
Yep, it's here again! What do you guys think are the strongest to weakest armies. New codex's have been renewed and it's time to take a poll on what warseer thinks!

I say, top tier:
Orks
Dark Eldar
IG
Eldar
Space Wolves

Middle Tier:
Daemons
Witch Hunters
Chaos Space Marines
Space Marines
Tau

Bottom Tier:
Tyranids (Old Codex)
Necrons
Daemon Hunters

Corrode
13-01-2010, 03:26
This will be an exciting thread full of open-mindedness and fresh ideas about the power disparity in 40k.

Personally I'd bump the Dark Eldar down (no ability to handle hordes) and the CSM up.

magnum12
13-01-2010, 03:38
Barring old armies needing new books, the balance isn't that bad.

Top: Orks
Imperial Guard
Chaos Space Marines

High: Space Marines
Eldar
Space Wolves

Mid: Chaos Daemons
Dark Eldar
Tyranids (old codex)
Black Templar

Low: Witch Hunters
Tau
Blood Angels

Bottom: Dark Angels
Daemon Hunters
Necron

Note: Based on overall codex power rather than builds. A 5 tier system is generally more accurate than a 3 tier system. Based on arbritary 3 per tier slot (except mid). Witch Hunters are not that far below mid tier. Dark Angels are significantly higher than the other bottom tier armies.

Bloodknight
13-01-2010, 03:39
I agree with Corrode. DE are very good against Marines, but struggle against IG and Orks, which makes them inherently susceptible to mismatches in tournaments, which means that they don't really deserve a top tier ranking anymore (they used to be top tier when you could consolidate into combats and Orks and IG had mediocre books and rarely attended tournaments, at least not with the intention of winning). Upper mid is where they should be, IMHO.

CSM with the dreaded 2/9 list deserve a top tier listing. Cult Lists vary but are generally not that great because some units work better in mixed concepts. Plague Marines for example. Superb in a CSM army as objective holders, but less so as a workhorse when all you've got are Plague Marines (they're 50% more expensive than CSM, less than 50% more durable because neither T5 nor FNP don't help against meltaguns and missiles, they're worse in combat than CSM due to I3 and they don't do as much damage with shooting than the same amount of points in CSM, which leaves them struggling against bigger armies).

Witch Hunters are also one of the candidates where the tier is directly influenced by the build. As long as you go full mechanized Sisters without the wacky inquisition stuff, they're really really dangerous; upper mid, I'd say. Start adding units like Penitent Engines and Assassins and you're quickly approaching the bottom.

Dag
13-01-2010, 03:50
[QUOTE=Bloodknight;4292332they're worse in combat than CSM due to I3.[/QUOTE]

umm... id take t5 FNP instead of init4.

devlin
13-01-2010, 06:39
i would dump dark eldar down and bring up csm and sm as i think they are both better than witch hunters

Thud
13-01-2010, 06:48
Didn't we have this thread last week?

And that's not an exaggeration. Seriously, last week.

Search function.

Edit: Here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239064) ya go. Original post four days ago.

Vaktathi
13-01-2010, 07:00
Personally, I'd rate the armies thusly

Orks
Imperial Guard (probably more powerful than orks on the top end, but Orks have far less internal balance issues and remain extremely powerful with almost any build)
Space Wolves (far and away the most powerful marine book)
|
|
|
Chaos Space Marines
Eldar
Space Marines
Tyranids
Witch Hunters (mech sisters is amazing, everything else, as mentioned by Bloodknight, not so much)
|
|
|
Dark Eldar (amazing against marines, but god help them against Orks and Imperial Guard)
Tau
Black Templars
Chaos Daemons (can be very powerful, but by far the most susceptible to dice rolls of any army in the game)
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
|
|
|
Necrons
Daemonhunters

harrytheschmuck
13-01-2010, 07:29
i think out of the builds you can make ide go:

Top Band:
eldar
orks
daemons
CSM
guard

Middle Band:
space marines
space wolfs
witch hunters
dark eldar
nids (current book)

Bottom Band:
daemon hunters
necrons
dark angels
blood angels
tau

thats on possible builds not codex strength

t-tauri
13-01-2010, 18:02
Didn't we have this thread last week?

And that's not an exaggeration. Seriously, last week.

Search function.

Edit: Here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239064) ya go. Original post four days ago.
Thud wins the thread. Thread closed. Please try a search.