PDA

View Full Version : WE 2K Points, comments please!

Dionide
13-01-2010, 05:21
Below is my first go at a Wood Elf List. I've played two games with it, one a 3 player game, where I deployed incorrectly, and got wiped the floor with, and a second game, where I massacred a DE player by the end of turn 4. I appreciate your comments, as I really like the Wood Elves and wanna get better with them.

Wood Elves – 2k points (1996), or “My first try at this”
Core 3+
Special 0-4
Rare 0-2
1 Lord, 4 total Heroes
2 power dice + 2 in pool, 3 dispel Dice, 2 Scrolls

Wood Elf Highborn (Lord) –
Longbow
Additional Hand Weapon:
Light Armor
The Bow of Loren:, Shoot as many times as has attacks, does not suffer -1 for multiple shots
Arcane Bodkins: No Armor Saves Allowed
211 points

Spellsinger –
Level 2 Wizard:
Dispel Scroll:
Dispel Scroll:
175 points

Wood Elf Noble –
BSB:
Magical Banner: Aech, Banner of Springtide: Unit may stand and shoot even if charging unit is within half their charge range
Hand Weapon:
Light Armor:

106 points

Wood Elf Noble –
Longbow
Additional Hand Weapon:
Waywatcher Kindred:
Skirmish
Lethal Shot
Forrest Stalkers
Hail of Doom Arrow (1 shot): Creates 3d6 S4 Arrows, Roll to hit normally

114 points

Glade Guard – 10,
Lord's Bowman –
Musician:
132 points

Glade Guard – 10,
Lord's Bowman –

126 points

Glade Riders – 10,
Spear
Longbow
Musician:
Horsemaster:
Fast Calvary

258 points

Dryads – 11,
Branch Nymph: 12 points
Skirmish
Forest Spirit: 5+ ward save versus non magic
Cause Fear
Immune to Psychology

144 points

Wardancer Troupe – 15,
Musician:
Bladesinger:
Skirmish, Shadow Dances of Loec
Immune to Psychology
Talismanic Tattoos: 6+ Ward Save, Magic Resistance (1)

291 points

Wild Riders of Kurnous – 5,
Light Armor
Spears
Musician: Free
Wild Hunter:
Standard Bearer:
Banner of Zenith: May not march within 12”
The Wild Hunt,
The Fury of Kurnous,
Fast Calvary
Immune to Psychology
Attacks are Magical
191 points

Waywatchers, – 10,
Two Hand Weapons
Long Bow
Skirmish
Lethal Shot
Forrest Stalkers
Shadow Sentinel: 8 points

248 points

The Blades of reason
13-01-2010, 07:08
some/most will say drop command on glade guard and riders and only leave musician if at all
if your mage is only a scroll caddy drop the level 2 as isn't that much magic
i see no point in the branchnymph as you could just get another dryad
where does your BSB go as i see nowhere and if not in 20+ eternal guard he will be pretty useless
other than that give your lord a shield and its a good list
the command on WW and WD should also really go as the WW are bs5 and its very expensive for the bladesinger

Jinxies
13-01-2010, 13:56
Wood Elf Highborn (Lord) –
Longbow
Additional Hand Weapon:
Light Armor
The Bow of Loren:, Shoot as many times as has attacks, does not suffer -1 for multiple shots
Arcane Bodkins: No Armor Saves Allowed
211 points

This guy would greatly benefit from the Alter Kindred but if you take it you should also add Glamourweave and an Enchanted Shield. In any case Additional handweapons are quite useless on Elves since they only have a base Strength of 4... Take a Great Weapon or just a shield instead.

Spellsinger –
Level 2 Wizard:
Dispel Scroll:
Dispel Scroll:
175 points

Drop to level 1, she wont do anything against 98% of your opponents so just stick to a caddie.

Wood Elf Noble –
BSB:
Magical Banner: Aech, Banner of Springtide: Unit may stand and shoot even if charging unit is within half their charge range
Hand Weapon:
Light Armor:

Aech is quite useless and you don't really have a unit in the army who need the BSB I say drop this guy completely.

Wood Elf Noble –
Longbow
Additional Hand Weapon:
Waywatcher Kindred:
Skirmish
Lethal Shot
Forrest Stalkers
Hail of Doom Arrow (1 shot): Creates 3d6 S4 Arrows, Roll to hit normally

You're using a 114pt character for the sole purpose to deliver a 30pt item that on average delivers 10.5 S4 shots per game... This is not an effective combo, you'd get 10 Glade Guards for the same points and they'd dish out a hell of a lot more damage during the course of a game. If you want the Hail of Doom Arrow you should take it on a Alter Kindred character with Helm of the Hunt, Shield, Light Armour and a Greatweapon.

Waywatcher Kindred is pretty useless overall, there's basically two reasons to take it; To make a Terror bomb with Blight of Terrors (not really good but it can be quite a lot of fun against some armies :D) and fluff.

Glade Guard – 10,
Lord's Bowman –
Musician:
132 points

Glade Guard – 10,
Lord's Bowman –

126 points

Lord's Bowman is not worth the points, the musican can be useful if you use them very aggressively

126 points
Glade Riders – 10,
Spear
Longbow
Musician:
Horsemaster:
Fast Calvary

258 points

Glade Riders' purpose is to be in the way, redirect charges and march block. The Horsemaster and any models above 5 does little to increase their effectiveness in these areas, rather the opposite. Split the unit in two and remove the Horsemaster.

Dryads – 11,
Branch Nymph: 12 points
Skirmish
Cause Fear
Immune to Psychology

144 points

The unit is too large, 8-9 models should be maximum, Nymph only if you have a Branchwraith in the unit.

Wardancer Troupe – 15,
Musician:
Bladesinger:
Skirmish, Shadow Dances of Loec
Immune to Psychology

Too large, split the unit into one of 7 and one of 8.

291 points

Wild Riders of Kurnous – 5,
Light Armor
Spears
Musician: Free
Wild Hunter:
Standard Bearer:
Banner of Zenith: May not march within 12”
The Wild Hunt,
The Fury of Kurnous,
Fast Calvary
Immune to Psychology
Attacks are Magical
191 points

Zenith CAN be effective in a unit of scouts but not on a unit of Wild Riders, swap it for the Warbanner.

Waywatchers, – 10,
Two Hand Weapons
Long Bow
Skirmish
Lethal Shot
Forrest Stalkers
Shadow Sentinel: 8 points

248 points
Drop the Sentinel as he's not worth the points, split the unit in two unless you want to add another unit.

Hope this was to some help:)

Dionide
13-01-2010, 15:02
So a lot of what I'm reading is that I should take smaller units of some troops, so maximize my mobility, and retool my one hero/replace him with another unit of glade guard potentially. I want to make sure I have the Hail of Doom Arrow somewhere in my list. The reason I had added him to the Waywatchers was for an early, surprise your archers are dead kinda thing. Which is what worked against the Dark Elf, as it took out like 6 of them.

Thanks for the info guys! More comments are still welcome, I appreciate the help!

~Dionide~

Jinxies
13-01-2010, 15:50
I love Waywatchers too, in fact I'm a huge fan of twin 10 man units :D And a Character with Hunter's Talon and A Pageant of Shrikes (waywatcher kindred for fluff) is one of my favorite combos even though it kinda sucks against any army that doesn't take T3 mages without armor :rolleyes: The problem with the Waywatcher character you have is that he just doesn't do much once the Hail of Doom Arrow is released, it's just so much more effective on the standard alter noble (Alter Kindred, Great Weapon, Shield, Light Armor, HoDA, Helm of the Hunt) as he can dish out 4 W7 S6 attacks after his HoDA has been used :D Arguable one of the most cost effective characters in the game at a cheap 158pts :angel: With a 39" threat range he should still kill enemy archers on the first turn!

Used a Highborn with:

Alter Kindred
Light Armor
Great Weapon
Bow of Loren
Enchanted Shield
Glamorweave
Arcane Bodkins

In my first tournament and he completely slaughtered everything except daemons. And my opponents could never catch up with him since he has a 360 LoS and 9/18 move! I think he only got killed against a HE player who shot 4ish fire spells at the unit screening him and then hailing 20ish arrows and two bolthrower volleys at him from short range :rolleyes: He got 1½ units of Dragon Princes first though ;)

Dionide
13-01-2010, 16:16
You can use a great weapon and a shield?

Jinxies
13-01-2010, 16:37
Not at the same time, the shield is for protection from ranged attacks. In combat you have to choose if you want to use a shield and a hand weapon or your great weapon.

Dionide
15-01-2010, 02:34
I made the changes suggested, and played a heavy artillary Empire army tonight, against 2 mortars, a missle thing, I totally massacared him. Terrain played a big part, as did going first, but he scored only about 700 points, and all he'd have had left at the end of the game would have been his steam tank.

Thanks for the assistance