PDA

View Full Version : 40K advice needed.

Davo
13-01-2010, 18:34
Hey guys, recently got back into the hobby after a 13 year hiatus and initially went back to my first love, fantasy. However, I was always a keen 40k player (the 2nd edition) but no very little about it now. I have no idea what the Tau or Necrons are really for example! Anyway I would like to collect a new 40k army and would preferrably like it to be one that not many people play. Not so bothered about if it is 'top tier' or not, just want an army that will maybe give most people I play a different game perhaps. I really like the look of all the armies so that is no problem, with the exception of Daemons, they really don't do it for me.

Anyway any suggestions will be gladly taken on board and sorry if this is an annoying thread/in the wrong place etc.

Mr.Dieth
13-01-2010, 18:38
definitly dark eldar.

Chucklemoney
13-01-2010, 18:46
I had drafted a big response with advice as to how to select the army right for you etc

Deleted it all as I can't see past Dark Eldar myself. Some viable list builds, rarely seen on the table, great for converting and painting, the less viable units still have funky rules which can lead to fun games if playing 'friendlies'.

I'm sure others may suggest grey knights/sisters of battle/inquisition, as these too seem to meet the requirements you stated. I have never played Imperial armies so can't advise further on them though.

Davo
13-01-2010, 18:51
Thanks guys, have been having a look at the Dark Eldar background/models and yeah they look great. Also always fancied a Dark Elf army but never got round to it, gonna buy a couple boxes of warriors and a lord and then take it from there.

Grax
13-01-2010, 18:54
I'd suggest starting with one of the following armies, if you're unfamiliar with 40k as it is now:

Space Marines
Chaos Marines
Orks
Eldar

These armies are not only good for people starting out, but they're also very balanced, and should give you a good sense of how the game works overall. Necron, and Chaos Daemons are very complex and difficult to play. Tau, Dark Eldar, and Daemon/Witch hunters are better, but are all sort of underpowered right now. The Imperial Guard and Tyranids work well, but are very focused, with IG focusing very little on close combat, and the Tyranids having no vehicles/transports.

squeekenator
13-01-2010, 18:57
Well, if all you're concerned about is playing a rare army that wasn't around in 2nd edition, Dark Eldar are certainly what you're looking for. The consensus across the internet is that there are about 5 people in the world who play Dark Eldar, though in my experience Daemonhunters are actually rarer. But really, it's better to go for an army you like than one your opponents haven't seen before. It's nice to give the guy across the table from you a unique experience, but most people do know what Dark Eldar are, and when played right they're such a powerful army that anyone who doesn't know them will start accusing everything you do of being cheesy and probably run off to sulk in a corner.

Of course, if Dark Eldar turn out to be an army you like and want to play, then more power to you, but don't pick them just because other people don't. I've found that the main reason Daemonhunters are rarer than Dark Eldar is because everyone who wants to play an unusual army picks Dark Eldar, so in the end they aren't that uncommon. It seems to me that collecting Dark Eldar is some sort of sign you use to tell everyone that you're a grizzled veteran who isn't excited about the cool-looking Ultramarine on the front cover of White Dwarf, because you collect a MAN'S army.

Then again, that could just be me. The most important thing when you're choosing an army is to pick one you like. Don't choose something that some guy on the internet told you was cool, or pick a race you hate just because it's unusual. You're going to be spending lots of time and money on this army, so if it's Ultramarines you want to collect, then by all means collect Ultramarines. If the army you find the most appealing is Dark Eldar, then that's cool, but don't force yourself to like them.

EDIT
Tau, Dark Eldar, and Daemon/Witch hunters are better, but are all sort of underpowered right now.

Actually, Dark Eldar and Witch Hunters can actually both be very competitive, you just have to use the right units. They both suffer from old codexes, and a lot of the units available to them are pretty terrible, but if you take the competitive choices they are amazingly good armies. WH, already good when they were written, are perfect for the 5th edition metagame where transports, meltaguns and flamers are king, and DE are just ridiculous - if you're good at playing them. Point for point, Wyches can beat any other assault unit in the game bar Slugga Boyz, which are the undisputed gods of assault, and Dark Eldar have had vehicles with 3 plasma cannons long before the Imperial Guard, and 3x disintegrator Ravagers only cost a bit over 100 points. There are a bunch of Dark Eldar units that are just plain terrible (Hellions are the main offender here), but if you stick to the good stuff and you're good at using them you can do some scary things.

Davo
13-01-2010, 19:04
Then again, that could just be me. The most important thing when you're choosing an army is to pick one you like. Don't choose something that some guy on the internet told you was cool, or pick a race you hate just because it's unusual. You're going to be spending lots of time and money on this army, so if it's Ultramarines you want to collect, then by all means collect Ultramarines. If the army you find the most appealing is Dark Eldar, then that's cool, but don't force yourself to like them.

Sound advice, I can honestly say that I really like the look and background of the Dark Eldar but of course have no idea if I will enjoy how they play on the table. As for marines apart from the Chaos variety I am not so fond of them. I guess from the look of the models alone I really like the look of all barring Space Marines/Imperial Guard.

Baneboss
13-01-2010, 19:09
13 years of a break? Must have been hard for you :)

Since i suppose youre quite a mature player you should first read some fluff behind Dark Eldar, Tau or Necrons before you make a decision.

Immortal Abbath
13-01-2010, 19:11
Dark eldar are very fast and can dish out a lot of damage but can't take it very well in return

IcedAnimals
13-01-2010, 21:28
The problem here that I see is the rare armies are all getting new codex's in the next 18 months. As soon as they get those new codex and new models you will have people coming on here screaming that they have always loved that army and can't wait for the new codex. Suddenly the 5 people who played Dark eldar becomes 50% of the warseer community.

What I would do is go to your local area that you are going to be playing. Talk to some of the people that play there and see what armies aren't played very often in your area.

Also you can take a more recent army such as the imperial guard/orks/marines and try to find a really unique playlist. Everyone knows about green tide and nob bikers for example. But maybe you could throw a bunch of gretchin squads backed by killa kans and that pirate ork with his flash gits.

That might not be the best example but giving someone a unique game doesn't have to rely on playing a codex they havent seen. Just changing up the playstyle of that codex a bit.

The Ginger Ninja
13-01-2010, 22:10
The problem here that I see is the rare armies are all getting new codex's in the next 18 months. As soon as they get those new codex and new models you will have people coming on here screaming that they have always loved that army and can't wait for the new codex. Suddenly the 5 people who played Dark eldar becomes 50% of the warseer community.
The thing is, dark eldar players are there, but people seem to ignore them because they see the words "we need a new codex"

OP if you want an army that nobody plays, try daemon hunters, i have yet too see a daemon hunters army

LonelyPath
13-01-2010, 22:58
If you're not scared of having constant uphill battles and outdated rules, go for the Daemon Hunters. The Grey Knights are without doubt the best looking in the game, but they are all metal. Thankfully with the high points cost you don't need that many, lol.

If you're after a more user-friendly force, go for Orks or Space Marines, both are good armies, at least higher-middle or top tier depending on the roster, fun to collect, play and paint.

Davo
13-01-2010, 23:05
Daemon Hunters sound interesting but I can't find a codex for them available on the GW site. Am I missing something?

Vedar
13-01-2010, 23:13
Ya they don't have it on the UK site for some reason. It is still on the US site if you switch to "US" mode.

LonelyPath
13-01-2010, 23:18
You can order it through indi retailers as well. Try Dark Sphere or Wayland Games, they both had it the other day.

EDIT: The stock also varies from one store to the next. People kept screaming about not Dark Eldar in stores while Shrewsbury still stock them, or they did when I was last in that store in November. I also just noticed that the Witch Hunters codex has vanished fomr the GW onine store as well as the battle sisters box. I knew the box was gone, but the codex as well!

Davo
13-01-2010, 23:40
Thanks guys. So the Ultramarines are the poster boys of 40k now? When I started it was the Blood Angels. Still have my 2nd edition Ultramarine codex, was that when the tide turned?

Xyrex
14-01-2010, 03:58
Daemon Hunters sound interesting but I can't find a codex for them available on the GW site. Am I missing something?

www.scribd.com type in codex daemonhunters