PDA

View Full Version : Ogre ideas

ChaosBeast
13-01-2010, 21:05
Well i'm coming from 40k to fantasy, i've looked over the background and have decided i want to play ogres, and i'd like some help coming up with what sort of stuff to get, tactics for ogres , play style advice and any generic fantasy tactics.
I looked at the models and i like them all so i have no preference for specific units, although the yetis look fun what with the moving through impassable terrain. i play mainly for fun so it doesn't need to be ultra competitive but it does need to be enjoyable to play.

thanks in advance

The_Bureaucrat
14-01-2010, 01:08
http://www.ogrestronghold.com/ is your friend. They have a large amounts of forums dedicated to tactics, playstyle, painting and modelling and fluff.

For purchases I'd advise to buy at least one battalion if not two, its one of the best deals and with a little green stuff you can convert a couple of the models to characters and have a very good starting force. A unit of Yehtees make excellent flankers and are great for dealing with wraiths and such.

For tactics theres generally two schools of thought (although there is a lot of variation) . The rough overview is:

-MSU (minimum strength units of ogres 2-3). This gives you a relatively large amounts of units and making it difficult for your oppenent to deal with all of them

-The paradigm shift deathstar units: Putting most if not all your characters into one unit (usually maneaters since they give your characters stubborn and ItP). The tactic here is to make a unit that can deal with a lot more of then newer large and expensive units that the oppenent might have. A lot of the tactics revolve around sling shotting the characters into different units or into combat.

SilverWarlock
14-01-2010, 01:33
http://www.ogrestronghold.com/

Definitely the place to go.

I am all for paradigm shifted ogres myself. MSU used to work, on the other hand all the recent army books have very very hard units that can easily bounce 3-4 ogres. This means that they can just look at MSU, shoot them up and bounce whatever moves up.

On the other hand 2-3 characters with 2-3 maneaters to back them up can maul anything and avoid the usual panic problems.

Damien

ChaosBeast
16-01-2010, 09:40
surely with that paradigm shift your opponent would only have to land one good cannon shot and take out your best unit, or assault them with low point units and tie them up for the battle. of course thats quite a 40k viewpoint but i would imagine it still applies. also what is the aim of most fantasy games, is ot objective based or more annihilation?

SilverWarlock
16-01-2010, 14:16
surely with that paradigm shift your opponent would only have to land one good cannon shot and take out your best unit, or assault them with low point units and tie them up for the battle. of course thats quite a 40k viewpoint but i would imagine it still applies. also what is the aim of most fantasy games, is ot objective based or more annihilation?

Can be both.

In fantasy, unlike 40K, annihilation based games aren't lacking tactics. Most objectives are ground control (usually larger areas than 40K as the units are less maneuverable) or specific killing (general, banners, most expensive unit etc).

One cannon shot can take out a maneater ... but remember that unlike 40K long ranged powerful shooting is not the norm. Cannons can misfire, need to roll for multiple wounds, need to get distances right ... And against empire (the army that has the real big cannons) 2-3 elite ogres hitting the lines can make a giant mess (think berzerkers in a guard gunline).

Most artillery in fantasy needs to guess distances then either scatter or bounce meaning that they have a hard time hitting smaller units. Normal shooting needs to randomize between the characters and base ogres and then pass the T4-T5 and possibly a save.

Another difference is that units in fantasy tend to die to psychology/break tests rather than get killed to the last. This means the ogres being big, tough and immune to psychology (maneaters) are tough nuts to crack.

Ogres also move 12 meaning the opponent has 2-3 turns of shooting to kill multiple units of ogres (my 2500 list has 2x4 maneaters with 2 characters per unit, tyrant BSB, 2 butchers one of which has siegebreaker, 3 bulls, 2x3 IGs and 2x2 leadbelchers). The fact is you have to weather some firepower with ogres (or any melee army for that matter).

Until we get a new book we are underdogs, just don't get discouraged by losing your first 10-20 games. I have seen players win their first 40K games on basic tips and a few 6s, this will not happen in fantasy, most beginners (playing against good players) will lose and learn for a long time before winning their first game. I have won my fair share of tournaments and have a little brother (im 21 he's 20 for reference) who likes the game but just hasnt played enough and however much I try to help him we still go to tournaments with me gunning for first and him trying not to be last. Note that we both have lots of fun along the way, just don't get frustrated with fantasy or expect to win immediately.

Damien