PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Space Marine Chapter - Need Advice

FLAKPANZER
14-01-2010, 02:56
Hi folks,

In addition to my Chaos Iron Warriors, Death Guard, and Imperial Renegades, I've worked on a large contingent of Imperial Fist Space Marines for the last year or so.

In that time, the yellow for the fists required 7 coats over the basecoat of white to achieve, and I still wasn't happy with the results. I love the bright colored armies, but after doing my Death Guard with a white undercoat, and now the Fists, I'm thinking black undercoats are the only way I want to go in the future.

That said, I still love the Fists. If there was an easier way to achieve a color I was happy with, maybe a year later, I would sit with several models that are unfinished.

So I have decided to put the stuff up on eBay, and start over.

Either I will go with an Imperial Fists army that doesn't require as much effort to achieve a good color (any advice would be helpful here), or I will go with a color scheme that starts with a basecoat of black, and works from there.

I'm not a big fan of the Dark Angels, but other than that, I am open to suggestions. That said, any advice on choosing a new Space Marine chapter for my next army?

Thanks.

ooglatjama
14-01-2010, 04:13
Iron Hands, they're black and silver.

New Cult King
14-01-2010, 04:14
Have you tried the Foundation paints?

polymphus
14-01-2010, 05:22
You can get very easy, darker 'fists using this tutorial (http://cbstudios.co.uk/#/tutorial-imperial/4525393843). I use snakebite leather instead of vomit brown, but it comes out very nice.

Kloud13
14-01-2010, 05:57
When choosing a new army, the best advice anybody can give someone, is DON'T BUY SPACEMARINES.

for the love of god, obviously you already had a marine army, and I'm sure you've played marines, and played against marines, and believe you me, you and your opponents will become sick of marines. 95% of all games probably include power armour. Try being the other 5%, it's very refreshing, and fun.

I have a marine army, I walked into a GW store and asked "What is this all about?" and I was shown the marines, and told about the marines, and I thought "Why wouldn't you buy marines?" I love my marines, but I'm tired of constantly facing marines, and so are my opponents.

PLEASE PLEASE consider playing a non-marine army, you WILL get way more enjoyment from this Hobby.

Awesome Mike
14-01-2010, 12:17
If I was choosing my Space Marine Chapter again, I'd go with the easiest one in the book to paint. But I'm lazy and a terrible painter. If I loved a certain commander more than the rest I'd choose his chapter. But I love too many of them to choose so I went with space hawks, now I wish I chose a less flamboyant colour.

Tiller5
14-01-2010, 14:05
Why not think of a Chapter of your own? That way you can have the luxury of devising your own colour scheme, no matter how garish or dull, as well as having the joy of creating the Chapter's history?

Or, as suggested, try a completely different army altogether. If you like brighter colours, how about a Craftworld Eldar army? Harlequins would make an excellent testbed for outlandish and outrageous colour palettes. As many would advocate on these boards, there's more to life than Marines!

ChrisMurray
14-01-2010, 14:16
If you liked your IF why not try a successor chapter, I believe the crimson fist and black templars are both painted using a black undercoat.

If not maybe wait for the Blood angels dex, you could do a black undercoat and them them a really dark rich red armour.

Bunnahabhain
14-01-2010, 14:24
If you want a different army, then I too would suggest not marines. Almost any army can be done with a bright scheme. Eldar and daemons would top my list, but bad moon orks, Guard, or even NMM necrons can be nice and bright.

If you really do want to do marines, and it is manly for the painting, how about a slightly unusual suggestion...Crusade type force.

Do a squad and transport in one chapters colours. Take you time, and do them well, so it doesn't look like an indecisive 10 year old has been sold marines by the staff.
Then do the next batch as another chapter, and so on. You get to do lots of different colour schemes, and it is a viable army.

FLAKPANZER
14-01-2010, 15:16
Thanks for the replies folks....and that Fists tutorial looks promising :)

Polymphus -
Does the Snakebite Leather brighten it up a bit? Do you happen to have any pictures? Any suggestions for the yellow and brown inks? I don't think GW makes a yellow ink anymore.

Kloud13/Bunnahabhain/Others -
I've actually got several armies for 40K - Apocalypse sized Ork Force, Apocalypse Chaos Force (Plague Marines, Iron Warriors, IG Renegades, and a small Khorne element), and a small Tau force. Sadly, except for the Chaos stuff, nothing is really painted....which is why I am looking to an easy to accomplish paint job for the Space Marines. I do want at least a small Marine force, and I love the brighter colored chapters, I'm just not patient enough to go through 7 coats to get the effect.

I think I am a fairly good painter when I get right down to it....but I really don't like to paint...at all. I much prefer assembly and playing the game to painting the minis.

Thanks again folks.

Hypaspist
14-01-2010, 15:19
I would strongly reccomend the foundation paints, they are excellent. these should give you a better base to start with in order to achieve fewer coats.

Grax
14-01-2010, 15:25
The Hello Kitties! Proudly display your pink and white colors! Make your opponents fear little red bows! ^_^

moose
14-01-2010, 15:36
Go to your local hobby/art shop and buy a can of the colour you want your generic army colour to be.

For example, buy a green spray can for salamanders, and then highlight/shade with other greens by painting.

Works a treat.

For a chapter suggestion, White Scars! They're rare, fast and look quite fun.

Moose.

Kloud13
14-01-2010, 19:10
I've been painting alot of models lately, and one of my favorite's, for marines, or even guys in heavy armour (Fantasy) is to cover all the armour pieces with the foundation Red, then cover that with Red Gore, then paint the rest of the model (pick out the details) then hit the armour pieces with a heavy application of Black Wash. looks gorgeous if you ask me.

Archangel_Ruined
14-01-2010, 19:29
The gryphonne sepia wash works better than a yellow ink, it's surprisingly pale when you use it and creates better shading (yellow shadows just don't work for me).

DaSpaceAsians
15-01-2010, 00:51
Here's a little trick:
http://www.thearmypainter.com/product_presentation.php?page=4&ProductgroupId=2

Freakiq
15-01-2010, 01:17
I just chose the three chapters I liked most and painted up a test model of each.

The one that was most fun and quick to paint was the winner.

For me it was Ultramarines 4th company, with Salamanders and Crimson fists being the other test models.

While the Salamander looked best it took too long and was boring to paint, the Crimson Fist was painted quickly but looked too boring.

Bunnahabhain
15-01-2010, 02:20
Assuming you are sensible, and painting a squad or more at a time, you will end up with very different paint times per model than doing the same scheme on one model..

polymphus
15-01-2010, 05:20
Polymphus -
Does the Snakebite Leather brighten it up a bit? Do you happen to have any pictures? Any suggestions for the yellow and brown inks? I don't think GW makes a yellow ink anymore.

Brightens it up? It darkens it up considerably I found. Some pretty shoddy pics of one of my marines.

Pic the first. (http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2366/augustusfront.jpg)
Pic the second. (http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1664/augustusside1.jpg)

I use chestnut ink instead of the two listed. Don't know if GW make it any more though; it was always my favourite ink so I stocked the hell up about two years ago and never needed any more. Flesh wash would do in a pinch.

FLAKPANZER
15-01-2010, 16:52
Thanks for the tips folks.

Does GW even make 'flesh wash' anymore?

Archangel_Ruined
15-01-2010, 18:45
I hope not, I've never found what it's good for, certainly not flesh at any rate (unless you're doing a Dale Winton successor chapter). Gryphonne Sepia ink would be my vote, just to repeat myself.

wilsongrahams
15-01-2010, 19:11
Flesh wash is very similer to Orgryn Flesh Ink that they now make. It was great for rust streaks, though as you say, no good for flesh... In fact most of their older flesh colours were rubbish.

Apart from my blood angels which use a white undercoat, all my miniatures use a black undercoat. This does tend to mean that you layer the paint up before you get a bright colour but this tends to be more natural as highlighting anyway. Eg, Black, Crimson Gore, Blood Red, Blazing Orange, Fiery Orange, Bleached Bone. For green it'd be Black, Dark Angels Green, Emerald Green, Scorpion Green, Bleached Bone.

This does not affect painting time but means you are not having to do multiple layers of the same colour for a solid coat before highlighting and shading as you are doing this along the way, and the overall result tends to be the middle colour you use.

If you realy want Fists over a black undercoat, my personal method would be Iyanden Darksun followed by Grypphone Sepia, then Bad Moon Yellow or it's modern equivalent layered in as a 2/3 coverage highlight, with a final highlight of that yellow mixed with white if you want the extra layer. Thsi has the bright and the dirty look at the same time, which is something I find suits marines well.

Daniel36
15-01-2010, 19:13
Foundation Paints Iyanden Sun, and you'll be fine. Or go for Crimson Fists. Much cooler than the Ultramarines, dark blue and they're the Chapter that the Imperial Fists are successors from, if I am not mistaken.

Archangel_Ruined
15-01-2010, 19:16
You are mistaken. Other way around...

Sfixterman
15-01-2010, 19:45
You should consider the White Scars.... Quite an exotic list, at least for imperial standards... And don't forget. There are always chapters like SW, BT, DA, BA (**NEW CODEX COMING IN HARD**) that always wait for you take over one of their successors... Just a thought....