PDA

View Full Version : starting empire, a few thoughts

backslide
14-01-2010, 03:26
ok ended up with an empire army in trade, one of those armys I have always meant to do for its sheer averageness

but I really don't want to have guess range weapons, because I'm terrible at it

don't want to have the popemobile, or the steam tank really so thinking a giant and some lead belchers as my rares, a warrior priest with some core flaggies

the theory being a nordland/marienberg merc force

any thoughts how to flesh this out?

Todosi
14-01-2010, 06:14
Get over the guess range thing. You will only improve by practice! And honestly black powder is one of our major strengths, don't just toss it away on a whim. Start with one cannon and practice with that.

Giant is fun, just keep him out of range of enemy shooting. Warrior priest is good, Flaggies are good, but you can't use them together. Unbreakable units cannot have non-Unbreakable characters in them.

You need state troops for sure! Most people like swordsmen because of the higher weapon skill. I would say two blocks of state troops of your favorite type with maybe a detachment of free company or halberdiers. The empire battalion box would be a good buy for you I think. If you want to go big, the new Brigade box might be nice as well.

Whatever you do, be sure to get some long range firepower in there. Cannons, Volley guns, handgunners or Wizards, whatever your preference.

ChaosVC
14-01-2010, 06:22
I always thought the fun part about empire is guessing range with your cannon and making your oponent sweat. This is so very strange... Its almost like me wanting to start Warrior of Chaos because I don't like chaos knights back then.

backslide
14-01-2010, 07:37
well gone over my ideas:

well the other thought I had was lead the army with a level 4, hes just left mareinberg off on a quest for nasty bad magical secrets and hired some locals and mercs

so

lvl4
lvl2 (appentice prolly after the goods for himself)
priest (nasty corupt fat kind)
BSB (help with excuse for this? paymaster? )

2/3 units of state troops with detachments (locals merc's, pirates)
knights (the greedy drunken kind)

cannon (pirates)
pistolers/outriders

leadbelchers or other ogres (hired muscle)
giant (dumb)

backslide
17-01-2010, 07:47
came across this combo for my lord

Wizard lord -
Lvl 4, luckstone, holy relic, Van horstmann's.

looks like alot of fun

mounted BSB on a 40mm base with a treasue chest for a paymaster, griffon standard

was thinking nordland for most of the state troops to go with the marienberg theme, but discovered 2 things...

A ) Reikland is much closer to marienberg
B ) I found 2 cans of skullwhite when I moved

so its looking more like Reikland state troops on loan (local count was paid off) and some reik river pirates

Condottiere
17-01-2010, 08:40
How about the Volley Gun? Then you only need to figure out if your opponent is within two feet.

backslide
17-01-2010, 10:19
hellblaster is a rare, would rather have my ogres and giant :D

Griefbringer
17-01-2010, 11:26
was thinking nordland for most of the state troops to go with the marienberg theme, but discovered 2 things...

A ) Reikland is much closer to marienberg
B ) I found 2 cans of skullwhite when I moved

so its looking more like Reikland state troops on loan (local count was paid off) and some reik river pirates

Isn't Reikland ruled over by Karl Franz, in his role as an Elector Count? I have a feeling that the Marienburgers would need to bribe him quite a lot before he would send his troops to assist that rebellious Wastelander scum.

Otherwise, I would suggest that you consider investing in a Perfidious Standard of Punctuation for your BSB, and possibly also a Scholarly Talisman of Capitalisation for your general. Both of these would make your posts significantly easier to read.

Kingbreaker
17-01-2010, 14:41
Good discussion; I have never played tabletop but am 90% of the way toward building an empire army.

Jind_Singh
17-01-2010, 18:04
Good discussion; I have never played tabletop but am 90% of the way toward building an empire army.

Good for you - and Empire is a great starting point for Table top for millions of reasons:

1) ALL their core, special, and rare units are available, and 100% plastic kits - so easy to put together, convert them to your hearts content, and for the most part it's a cheaper army to build.
2) You can participate in every phase - movement, magic, shooting, and combat - the Empire can handle it all.
3) Themed armies - theres a ton of provinces your armies can hail from, each lends it's own characteristics of how your army plays and is collected. But it goes deeper - you can play an infantary horde, a pure mounted cavalry army, an epic gunline - or you can mix and match it up. The army can be led by no less than FOUR types of lords, a general, a wizard lord, an arch lector, and a grandmaster of the Knights

As for the OP's thread - even within the state troops theres mention made of units for hire, for e.g in Averland theres a unit renowed for its merc. ways. Its pretty feasible to have units that hail from the Riek.

And a lord could raise regiments pretty easily providing he has the coin to do so - you'd see men come from all over if it meant they get paid on time, and the chance to collect some battlefield loot.

Ogres would fit in even more, and it would be cool to paint their trousers up in state colours to make them really feel like imperial mercs.

I would take iron guts and lead belchers for the rares, leave the bulls at home.

Try to include some missle troops in there thouhg - especially crossbows - as thats the weapon of choice for a merc army - as most hail from Tilea.

Instead of Reikland you might want to consider Averland as your province - theres no current Elector Count (Poor Marius Leitdorf died fighting Orcs), so theres easily chances for lords to start raising their own armies.
Your on the border with the Blackfire pass - so its easy to imagine the Empire paying this merc. army to keep patrols out there.
Your close to Tilea - actually its the nearest country to you - so very close ties to merc. lords that hail from there
The Averland regiment of renown is already known as a unit for hire anyway - so captilize on this.
It supports your vision of no war alter or steam tank, as those would never been seen in a hired army - theres NO way Volkmar would lend the one and only war alter to some hired thugs, and theres NO way the Imperial college of engineering would lend out their beloved steam tanks to your general!

Freman Bloodglaive
18-01-2010, 03:12
You can use some of the piratical heads from the militia sprues to make your cannon crew pirates.