PDA

View Full Version : Destroyer of Eternities and Base

Cole Train
14-01-2010, 03:21
So my friend worries that the DoE will not pay off against 25x25 mm base size enemies, and is wondering if it is ok to put his tomb king on a 25x25? It doesnt really seem into the spirit but otherwise the destroyer is a bit useless as the King has 4 attacks anyway...

soots
14-01-2010, 05:00
Mounts are your friends.

Bloodknight
14-01-2010, 05:24
So my friend worries that the DoE will not pay off against 25x25 mm base size enemies

Depends. Yes, he'll hit at best two guys.

and is wondering if it is ok to put his tomb king on a 25x25

No. Base sized are fixed in WFB because they influence what a unit can do and what not.

It doesnt really seem into the spirit but otherwise the destroyer is a bit useless as the King has 4 attacks anyway...

Well, vs 20mm infantry the king will usually cause 6 hits which will generally end in 3 dead guys, and since it allocates attacks, there will often be a dead champion or character. Vs a guy on a dragon or chariot he causes 4 hits which is better than rolling 4 attacks vs one part of the model most of the time. And vs a Stegadon he causes some insane number of hits because evey skink gets two hits ^^.

Mounts are your friends.

Not in this case; the destroyer can only be used by models on foot.

Isabel
14-01-2010, 05:57
Yea, the Destroyer isnt really for killing infrantry. Like Bloodknight said, it's better against chariots, models on monsters and multi-wound models. The king has an unimpressive WS6 and the auto hits are great also.

Punjoke
14-01-2010, 06:35
Although the question has already been answered, you should keep in mind that the auto-hits are crucial against enemy characters, especially Lords. Also, against infantry, you can get off an Incantation to do auto-hits on models in base contact in place of the normal one attack, and then in the Close Combat phase choose whether to do another special attack, or make your four normal attacks instead.

tarrasque
14-01-2010, 07:41
Mounts are your friends.
luckly this isn't alowed since the only mount is a chariot for the tk the havok it would reap

Spiney Norman
14-01-2010, 08:27
Although the question has already been answered, you should keep in mind that the auto-hits are crucial against enemy characters, especially Lords. Also, against infantry, you can get off an Incantation to do auto-hits on models in base contact in place of the normal one attack, and then in the Close Combat phase choose whether to do another special attack, or make your four normal attacks instead.

Spot on, the DoE is more useful in combo with the incantation of smiting anyway, not that is isn't useful in regular combat ;)

In any case, 4 auto hits on 25mm base models is still better than 4 attacks rolling to hit.

Bloodknight
14-01-2010, 08:44
Definitely. I'm pretty sure that my DoE-King has never used his normal attacks yet. I always go with the autohits since he obviously can't fluff them and they're a pretty sure 2-3 CR points vs 1-wound-models, and 3-4CR vs multiwound models.
Also, I've been burned too often by that chaos armour thingy that made you reroll successful hits to even risk it ;)

Cambion Daystar
14-01-2010, 10:13
In any case, 4 auto hits on 25mm base models is still better than 4 attacks rolling to hit.
Except that with 4 attacks you can kill up to 4 models, and with the autohits only 2 (What does he need to roll? 3+ to hit and 2+ to wound, with a massive -4 armoursave). I'd go for the 4 attacks against anything but a combat character.

Gaargod
14-01-2010, 10:28
Say what?

Against a unit, wounds carry over on rank and file. So if you do 4 wounds with your 4 autohits, 4 things die (assuming 1 wound).

Destroyer of Eternities is very good. At worst, it does 2 autohits - which is statistically the same as attacking something with WS6+. Normally it will do 4 or even 6. Its expensive for a reason you know. Against characters and monstrous mounts its downright brutal.

theunwantedbeing
14-01-2010, 10:36
Say what?

Against a unit, wounds carry over on rank and file. So if you do 4 wounds with your 4 autohits, 4 things die (assuming 1 wound).

Nope, they are directed attacks.
So you can only kill the models you directed those attacks on.

So if your in base contact with 2 models, you can only kill 2 models, even if you do 4 wounds.

The useful bit is that those 2 enemies in base contact die, and not the 2 models at the end of the unit.
So your lord is best put in base contact with a mage and unit champion, so he can off both of them in either his magic phase or the combat phase.

Bloodknight
14-01-2010, 10:39

Not in this case. The Destroyer special attack counts like allocated attacks and spillovers are discarded. It's in the TK FAQ :)

ninja'd - looking it up took too long ;)

Tolinwiz
14-01-2010, 12:43
4 regular attacks are much higher variance then using the special ability, with the average amount of hits being basically the same (assuming 25 mm). So yeah, use the special ability.