PDA

View Full Version : How best to kill a bloodthirster

Dreng Tromm
14-01-2010, 04:23
Greetings fellow travellers of the Old World!

I recently had a 2000 pt game using my Dwarf army against a Daemon army of bloodletters led by a blood thirster and for the life of me, I just could not kill the damn thing. I have previously gone up against the same foul creature using my Empire army and I also had no success in the "MURDER THE DAMN THING" department.

Thus, I am forced to start this thread hoping to secure advice from more veteran generals out there who may have gone up against a Bloodthirster and actually destroyed the foul Khorn beast.

I would also appreciate it if I could hear specifically from Dwarf or Empire army generals inasmuch as I already have these armies. However, other generals utilizing other armies are likewise free to contribute (who knows, maybe I could be pursuaded to start a new army) their tactics and help this general rid his lands of Chaos.

Freman Bloodglaive
14-01-2010, 04:31
Empire, Arch Lector, heavy armour, barded warhorse, van horstmann's speculum, gorgon shield, sword of fate in case he hasn't taken obsidian armour. Charge him with a unit of knights and challenge.

(it's a little more difficult than that because you have to get in range to charge, but regardless, if you do...)

ChaosVC
14-01-2010, 05:58
The blood thirster can be dealt with by any char with the von host man speculem. War machine is a bit of luck, skill in guessing range and opportunities. But to be honest, you have more then a Blood thirster to worry about fighting against daemons so goodeluckeh.

XLast_Of_The_OrderX
14-01-2010, 06:58
I used Dwarfs for many years, so hear is the best help I can be.

General Build:
King
Great Weapon
Rune Of Steel, Stone, and Resistance (armor)
Rune Of Spite (Talisman)
Mounted on a shield

Put him in a minimum 18-deep (I'd probably go 23) unit with the Rune Of Battle on the standard. Challenge when he gets to you. You now have a 1+ re-roll armor save, and a 4+ ward. His attacks are now no greater than S5 (giving you a 3+, 3+, 4+ to save EVERY wound), and you attack back with 4 S6 attacks and 2 S4 attacks. You also have a static 6 combat res. You will win easily. You just have to get him to charge that unit.

You can wear him down with Bolt Throwers w/Runes Of Penetrating and Engineers in the unit (Hit on 2's within 24", Wound on 3's, d3 Wounds, No Armor Saves). Take 2. Its 215 pts minimum for the 2 total (one has to have the Rune Of Burning on it, so that they aren't both outfitted the same).

That's how a Dwarf army kills a Bloodthirster IMO.

Sambojin
14-01-2010, 07:10
There is virtually no problem in the entirety of the Warhammer world that can't be solved with two organ guns and four runed bolt-throwers. With engineers if necessary. The best warmachines ever made barring Chaos Dwarf ones(point-for-point and versatility of targeting).

danny-d-b
14-01-2010, 07:25
There is virtually no problem in the entirety of the Warhammer world that can't be solved with two organ guns and four runed bolt-throwers. With engineers if necessary. The best warmachines ever made barring Chaos Dwarf ones(point-for-point and versatility of targeting).

I agree with this dude

both throwers with engineers and runes of pen (and others to stop runes rule probs)

should mean you cause on avrage- what only 2.3 wounds?

that mean you need to fire two turns

well I don't know then, erm find more bolt thorwers, and maybe runelord it to stop it flying?

EndlessBug
14-01-2010, 07:43
Put him in a minimum 18-deep (I'd probably go 23) unit with the Rune Of Battle on the standard. Challenge when he gets to you. You now have a 1+ re-roll armor save, and a 4+ ward. His attacks are now no greater than S5 (giving you a 3+, 3+, 4+ to save EVERY wound), and you attack back with 4 S6 attacks and 2 S4 attacks. You also have a static 6 combat res. You will win easily. You just have to get him to charge that unit.

Master rune of challenge? Also give him the 5 pt immune to flaming for complete safety.

On another note, empire and dwarfs have the best ways. Artillery. Cannons and bolt throwers. 2 Organ guns for those flamers and you're done.

1 Lord - as above
1 Thane bsb - Mro challenge + protection items
2 runesmiths - 2 scrolls, rune of balance

19 Warriors - FC
19 Longbeards - FC
10 Thunderers

4 Bolt Throwers
17 Hammerers - FC

2 Organ guns

sprinkle magic runes as you see fit

danny-d-b
14-01-2010, 08:22
master rune of challange does not work against immune to phycology- so no good against deamons

fubukii
14-01-2010, 08:36
bolt throwers, and organ guns will do the trick. Pepper in some handgun shots too if you wish.

theres several ways to best it in combat with dwarves but he has to charge you.

Make sure you shoot his furies and such with organ guns/crossbows so they dont get into your bolt throwers. Actually though, you will probably beat his furies regardless, mine always lose to non empire crewmen lol

Gaargod
14-01-2010, 10:09
Dwarves and Empire have it fairly easy. Either bolt thrower/cannonball it to do death.
Trick is shooting down furies before they hit your artillery with organ guns/handguns.

Dwafs can also do the aforementionned unkillable dwarf lord + static CR to make it go away. Empire can van horstman's it to death (seriously, most points efficient way to gank a BT. With empire stats, it does literally nothing whilst you take off like 3 wounds a turn, and it dies to CR).
Hard part is getting it into combat.

Also, magic can work, if you're feeling adventurous with empire. Master of the Forge can knock off a couple of wounds, although its really only effective with a Slann (bane head is fun :) ). Won't kill the damm thing, but might knock off a couple of wounds for finishing it off.

Havock
14-01-2010, 13:43
bolt throwers, and organ guns will do the trick. Pepper in some handgun shots too if you wish.

theres several ways to best it in combat with dwarves but he has to charge you.

Make sure you shoot his furies and such with organ guns/crossbows so they dont get into your bolt throwers. Actually though, you will probably beat his furies regardless, mine always lose to non empire crewmen lol

Back in the days of HoC, I stopped charging anything more than great cannons/mortars and the trebuchet, they always went poof.
Figured I was better off parking them right in front of the cannon, preferably in a half circle in front of the thing. That was so much better.

Same goes for warhounds :')

FailSafe07
14-01-2010, 14:57
Runelords with an anvil can also cause it some problems and if nothing else, it may be able to slow the BT down until your artillery can finish him off.

Dreng Tromm
15-01-2010, 00:28
Greetings fellow travellers of the Old World!

My sincerest gratitude for all of your words of wisdom. I have a rematch game this weekend and I intend to factor in all of your sagely advice and put them to good use.

I shall update you as soon as possible regarding the outcome.

In the meantime, Mr. Barkeep, open up a new barrel of Bugman's beer for all of these fine generals! Drinks are on me!

Shamutanti
15-01-2010, 01:45
High Elf unit with enough ranks for +3 combat rez. Spearmen are good cause they look squishy.
Battle Standard Bearer with +D6 Combat Rez.
High Elf Lord (Prince is it? Always get confused between Princes n' Nobles) with the armour of 'as soon as I take a wound I get teleported out of a fight'.

Bloodthirster charges you. Lord declares challenge n' the 'thirster has to accept. Lord bashes on the Thirster a bit, not really caring. Thirster hits back, inflicts a wound... as soon as he does (even if it's multiple, upon the first wound suffered...) your lord gets ported out of the fight. Combat rez kicks in.

+3 for rank
+1 Outnumber
+1 Battlestandard
+1 minimum for Magic std.

Bloodthirster inflicted 1 wound in return... so you're +5 up (at a minimum) so he takes a Ld check at -5... pop goes the bloodthirster.

Additionally I suppose you could throw in the Talisman of re-rolls and a Lifepotion if you're feeling really cheeky.

fubukii
15-01-2010, 02:39
Or use dragon armor, all bloodthristers in tournaments bring FSB, so your characters are imune to blood thristers.

titos334
15-01-2010, 02:53
I wouldnt recommend using a charector as your way of defeating a Thirster, yes it can work, but it would always take a foolish Deamon general to send a Thirster alone into a full block of troops with a Lord charector in it.

Your best bet in my mind would be to kill it with war machines. This is something you as a player can control.

soots
15-01-2010, 04:34
Dwarfs have the best warmachine in the game by a country mile. Use it!

BT with engineer. 60 pts.

LKHERO
15-01-2010, 05:13
Stone Throwers are good. Bolt Throwers are good. Cannons are good. Same with Organ Guns.

Looks like all you have to do is point and shoot :D

Souppilgrim
15-01-2010, 14:57
With war machines you have to watch out that you don't misfire, he isn't behind cover, you roll to hit/bounce successfully, the thirster isn't in combat when you shoot, he doesn't make his ward save, and that you do enough wounds before something hits your machines crew....but if that all goes perfectly, it's totally easy.

N810
15-01-2010, 15:14
Shoot it with everything you have untill its dead or you are, :P