PDA

View Full Version : Bell of Lost Souls Trojan Horse

Deathwing_Matt
14-01-2010, 10:00
Hey everyone,

I've been having a few problems with BoLs of late (ie. receiving a trojan horse repeatedly whilst viewing). Generally I like it as a site, as the blog posts are good at stimulating conversation etc. However, over the last couple of months I've been having a few problems with the site. I've been back periodically to check the website but sometimes the following happens: -

When I go to close the window that the site is in when I've finished reading, sometimes tens of windows from BoLs flood my screen. The only way I've found to stop this happening is to turn my PC off, I thought it was probably just a bug with the site. This morning, this happened once again and my virus scan has detected a new trojan horse on my computer.

Has anyone else had the same or similar difficulties with the website? I would go back and inform the mods there, but I don't want my computer to be infected again. I'm aware that some people like Goatboy post on Warseer too, so if you could pass this on to them (or they read it) then great...

moose
14-01-2010, 10:07
The Computer & Consoles forum, or Random Musings forums might give a good response about trying to prevent the trojan getting past your anti-virus software of firewall.

Moose.

Deathwing_Matt
14-01-2010, 10:08
Ah, the trojan horse is sorted, that's not my point. I was simply raising this here to warn other people to be careful about the site. 7 viewers in that forum against 98 here may not mean word gets around...

genestealer_baldric
14-01-2010, 10:40
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232704

yeah it happend to me to so i did the same as you its had a fair number of views so why not add your views to it :)

Agnar the Howler
14-01-2010, 10:46
Rumor-confirmation is a dangerous business nowadays; it's guys like you that keep us up to date by risking your computer. Warseer thanks you!

EDIT: To make this post seem a little less sarcastic (yeah, re-reading it made me feel a little guilty) i'm gunna say this is why I avoid BoLS, I don't want to go through the process of hunting down trojans after every visit.

The Ginger Ninja
14-01-2010, 10:49
Oh the joys of having a mac... :D

Deetwo
14-01-2010, 11:26
Oh the joys of having a mac... :D

:p
You know what they say...

"Nobody cares enough about Macs to make viruses for them"

:D

Mannimarco
14-01-2010, 11:33
a mac? wow you can still get those things?

genestealer_baldric
14-01-2010, 11:43
Yeah there are still quite a few Mc Donalds around despite the recession

Jagged
14-01-2010, 11:52
I have had similar problems with BoLS and stopped going there.

Its a good site but they don't bother to screen their adverts. Don't go there without a pop-up blocker, full spyware and virus protection. Which is good advice for anything on the web really.

Still, no excuse for not keeping a beady eye on the people that advertise on your site :(

Warpcrafter
14-01-2010, 11:55
I go to BoLS several times a day and have never had any problems with it, and I just have the standard protection that comes with my Roadrunner service. I am, it must be said sick and fething tired of the "First!" crap. I wish there was a technology that could deal with that.

Jagged
14-01-2010, 12:01
Its worth mentioning that ALL the windows explosions I have had from BOLS have occured with the close window event. If you simply select another url it doesn't happen.

That doesn't mean thats the only crap thats happening though, just the most obvious.