PDA

View Full Version : Giant rats, how good?

BajsArne
14-01-2010, 14:00
You get a few with doomwheels, a few with plague monks (which I so don't need) and far too few in a moulder box. With what I have and intend to buy I will be at 24. I think I'll get some metal ones too, but 16 or like....100?

I have understood that they are good, but just how good are they?

And how many are needed to make Skweel sweet?

tarrym
14-01-2010, 18:20
I'm only just starting to get my skaven army together so can't help with tactics etc. But I was curious how many rats you get in the plague monks sprue?

basher
14-01-2010, 19:15
you get 16 rats with the plaugemonk frames my mates been using 20 rats skweel and 2 packmasters and i can tell you they are a hand full our last game he rolled regen then cast frenzy on them in two turns they wiped out 15 warriors of nurgle with 3+ save

Sloppyjayman
14-01-2010, 19:37
I use a unit 0f 44 giant rats, skweel and 6 packmasters. The unit is devastating. I use them 7 wide, cast death frenzy, cast poison and if you get +1 attack from skweel, you can get 56 attack with poison plus 6 whip attacks and skweel. Have fun with that.

enygma7
14-01-2010, 20:09
Seems to be 2 main ways of using them, either as a unit of 6 with a packmaster for some uber cheap flack or as a 14 strong unit (7 wide) for use with death frenzy - 42 attack + packmasters not to be sneezed at! A large ranked unit seems to be popular too but then they are doing the same job as clanrats and frankly I'd rather use clanrats for it (greater resilience and standard means they can actually win some combats).

Malorian
14-01-2010, 20:26
42+ attacks??? Yikes!

Never thought I would be scared of giant rats other than simple flankers...

LiamTaylor
14-01-2010, 20:30
Another good use for giant rats is as a simple "bullet" take a unit of 6, a packmaster and 5 rats in a 3 x 2 formations and for only 21 pts you get both a cheap diverter and a unit which can charge into a unit and put out 6 str 3 attacks against a single model, useful for getting rid of troublesome wizards that like to lurk in units.

LiamTaylor

Bladelord
15-01-2010, 08:23
23pts acutally.
Btw, isnīt it just the front rank +1 more rank that can fight? packmasters excluded.

Bladelord
15-01-2010, 08:24
Never mond about the question, I just read Liams wrong.

basher
23-01-2010, 09:06
pack masters can only attack over three ranks with your 44 rats 7 wide you'd have to have 6 ranks your pack masters cant attack

death__lord
23-01-2010, 09:59
pack masters can only attack over three ranks with your 44 rats 7 wide you'd have to have 6 ranks your pack masters cant attack

No, you can place them at the 4:th rank even if you have 6 ranks. There seems to be no rules for the placement of packmasters, so put them wherever you want them.

Razakel
23-01-2010, 11:20
I use a unit 0f 44 giant rats, skweel and 6 packmasters. The unit is devastating. I use them 7 wide, cast death frenzy, cast poison and if you get +1 attack from skweel, you can get 56 attack with poison plus 6 whip attacks and skweel. Have fun with that.

WTF? Wow, thats pretty amazing. From being on the receiving end of Giant Rats I've learned to shoot them, they can and will be a giant thorn in your side if you allow them to be, but you need to have the unit reasonably big, proxy them before you buy and decide if you like them.

fubukii
23-01-2010, 18:56
they can be good dps vs low toughness low armor units. Semi fast flankers/redirectors.

No armor though so they die in droves, id send them after soft targets with a death frenzy and hope for the best ( good vs skels and such) Vs harder armies i wouldnt take them as a serious combat unit.