PDA

View Full Version : PCB's and Lance Formation

Feefait
14-01-2010, 14:03
Got a potential upcoming game against Brettonia with my Skaven and so of course I will be fielding my censer bearers. Question is how do they work against lance? It's any model in base contact - but do models in lance that can attack count as in base contact even though physically they are not?

Our Brett player has only played them maybe 3 times in the past 2 years (since he started them) and so neither of us are clear on it. I dont have the book so can't read it and I don't want to tip my hand by asking him. :)

thanks all!

theunwantedbeing
14-01-2010, 14:13
Just those in base contact.(so the 3 models in the front rank usually)

Not worth it when you look at the likely outcome, and even the more unlikely ones.

Feefait
14-01-2010, 15:12
Thats right... I forgot it was 3 x 3. I kept thinking back to way old lance formation with ranks going in a pyramid 1,2,3 etc. 3 is a good number to poison. :) I was going to retink if it was only 1 though.

XLast_Of_The_OrderX
14-01-2010, 22:08
Yeah, the PCBs should be a pretty good can-opener against Bretts. 3 dead on a 4+ before they even get to attack, and hitting on 4+ with Hatred, wounding on 2+, and taking the save down to 4+. Good odds. Make sure you put the PCBs 5 across when the charge hits.

Nurgling Chieftain
14-01-2010, 23:08
I don't think those odds are so great. Three chances before they attack is nice and all, but that'll only kill one or two (don't forget they'll probably have a ward save) and then you're unlikely to get many attacks back after the lance makes its attacks, and each of those attacks back have a mere 5/24 chance of making a kill (again, don't forget the blessing).

jaxom
14-01-2010, 23:19
o.0

You'll get poison on 3 of them, expecting to kill 1 (because their ward will still work assuming they prayed). Assume a character in there and 1/3rd the time it will be him taking a wound and not dying. Then 5-8 knights and horses swing back at you. You seriously think that you'll get many attacks, even 5-wide? He's hitting on 3+ with his decent knights, wounding on 3+ (or even 2+) and his horses are hitting on 4+ and wounding on 5+... He's odds to kill 4 of you unless he's only running 2 ranks.

Assume you have a champion in there and he doesn't allocate attacks at the champion. You'll have 4 attacks back expecting to get 1-2 wounds. Best case with the odds you're losing combat by 1+ranks+std. He's US12 minumum at this point and if you even started with that many you probably gave him 2-3 points of CR just poisoning yourself. You're on snake-eyes unless you have a unit of ranked plague monks really close and then you're odds to get run down.

If you give up the charge, you're gone. (Do the same numbers for a unit of monks with a Plague Furnace and a PP on top carrying a Plague Censer for comparison and then think about adding a banner on top of that.) Granted, if you can get the charge off, the PCBs will rock, but you're gonna have to earn that one given his movement.

Feefait
15-01-2010, 01:43
unfortunately at 1750 I have small choices. I am taking monks and a furnace. That leaves me jezzails, pwg and pcb's. I have always been a fan of pcb's so it will probably be them and pwg, leaving out the jezzails. i could end up facing either Warriors or Bretts so i have to be flexible.

therat
15-01-2010, 02:41
Censer bearers are pretty maneuverable, you should be able to keep them from taking a lance.

sulla
15-01-2010, 07:08
Censer bearers are pretty maneuverable, you should be able to keep them from taking a lance.They're frenzied aren't they? You can do your best, but you can't guarantee they'll be where you want them. mounted yeomen have the ability to pull them around the table.

PeG
15-01-2010, 08:57
Take lots of slaves to redirect his lances. This will give you an opportunity to charge him instead of the other way around.

Melkirich
15-01-2010, 10:48
PCB's are the ultimate counter-strike unit: put them behind your main line where an over-run wont hit them and you'll be flank-charging and killing anything weaker than a Hydra.

Foegnasher
15-01-2010, 12:01
get the pcb's in the flank and they will own them. redirect with slaves and flank, shouldnt be too hard.