PDA

View Full Version : Question about new models

dannyapplejuice
14-01-2010, 19:33
Hi, I had a question. About how often do new models for warhammer 40,000 come out? I noticed that there are two different versions of striking scorpions in my two older Eldar codices and currently there is a different striking scorpions model than both of these previous ones for sale at games workshop. Also new bloodletters and daemonettes of Slaanesh, new tyranids, etc. And, how new are the newer Eldar models such as striking scorpions, howling banshees, and fire dragons currently in production? Would there be any replacements of these anytime soon? Thanks.

Lyinar
14-01-2010, 20:02
The current Eldar Aspect Warriors, excepting the Swooping Hawks, Shining Spears, and Warp Spiders, date to the release of the current codex back in 4th Edition.

Given the quality of the sculpts and the fact that the current Eldar models replaced things that were up to 16 years old at the time, I doubt the Fire Dragons, Striking Scorpions, Howling Banshees, Dire Avengers, or Dark Reapers will be getting updated when they get around to doing a new codex.

dannyapplejuice
14-01-2010, 20:45
Why did they have two different versions of dark reapers and striking scorpions between the craftworld Eldar codex and the 3rd edition Eldar codex? There was one version of scorpions with a really long back to the helm and one with a very short back to the helm. Also, one of the versions of reapers had long rectangle like protrusions from the side of the helm with a pointed top and another version of dark reapers had a rounded helm, no rectangular protrusions, with a face similar to a skull. My codices date from 1999 and 2000, so I kind of figured somewhere between that time new models came out, to be replaced by the currently available models in the 4th edition Eldar codex.

Lyinar
14-01-2010, 21:00
They had those because they were the 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition models, and the old 2nd Edition models were available in the Collector's Range.

dannyapplejuice
14-01-2010, 21:15
So I'm stuck with seeing striking scorpions with girly braids for how long? :(

Lyinar
14-01-2010, 21:21
Girly Braids?

PH34R THE PREDATOR DREADLOCKS OF DOOOM! :p

SPYDER68
14-01-2010, 21:31
You could always make custom heads for them and change how the model looks..

dannyapplejuice
14-01-2010, 21:46
Haha, well I actually already bought some of the older version Eldar models and I have more coming to my mailbox in the next few days, so I guess I can get by. I've never done conversions before, and I just started collecting so, I might do that if I can make it comfortable with my skill and budget.

SPYDER68
14-01-2010, 21:53
There are many guides on the internet and ideas for how to convert models, it can be alot of fun. And you can only get better at it.

devlin
14-01-2010, 22:08
There are many guides on the internet and ideas for how to convert models, it can be alot of fun. And you can only get better at it.

unless you chop your fingers off :D

BaronDG
14-01-2010, 22:24
Did you get the first or the second generation of models? I prefer the first to the second but also like the new ones. They look like jes goodwin's original design drawings (including dreadlocks)!

If you get the second incarnation, be prepared to deal with "bunny teeth"!

Lyinar
14-01-2010, 22:26
Did you get the first or the second generation of models? I prefer the first to the second but also like the new ones. They look like jes goodwin's original design drawings (including dreadlocks)!

If you get the second incarnation, be prepared to deal with "bunny teeth"!

Not to mention the awkward "Walk Like an Egyptian" poses...

The Ginger Ninja
14-01-2010, 23:44
IG:
new style Chimera w/manticore option
new style LR with original+2 of the remaining variants
new style basilisk +medusa and one other variant
stormtroopers

SM:
new predator
t-hawk
ven dread
characters

Orks:
dread
buggy/trakk
copter
flashgitz upgrade for boyz
grot cannon in plastic w all options

Daemon/CSM:
plastic Greater demon
plastic nurgle warriors
plastic tzeetch flyers
plastic horrors
plastic/metal (conflicting rumors) slaanesh riders
characters
plastic csm upgrade sprues - god specific

Tau:
plastic crisis suit redo

eldar:
serpent/prism repack w plastic prism
plastic avatar redo (possible autarch, could be lost in translation)
plastic hvy/support weapons platform
plastic wraithguard

necrons:
plastic tombspider

These are the rumours for the models being released this year. to answer the OP's question, its around every couple of months, but gw does not spread the love equally. the URL is here, but dont bother combing though all 42 pages, past page 10 its just wishlisting
tp://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237442

dannyapplejuice
15-01-2010, 00:08
Thanks for the link. Well, I got a few different types of models, not sure what generation they all are. My striking scorpions have the really long helms in the back, I like those ones a lot, but I like the short helm ones too, just not the ones currently for sale at games workshop.