PDA

View Full Version : Primarch models?

Ork X
14-01-2010, 23:31
Has Games workshop ever made models for all the primarchs?...or any of the primarchs?

Mannimarco
14-01-2010, 23:43
apart from leman russ and the old lord macragge the answer to the question has GW ever produced any primace models the answer is no

Archangel_Ruined
14-01-2010, 23:44
There are some very nice but rather expensive sculpts for them though. They aren't sold as primarchs, for legal reasons, but they clearly are. Someone will have a link for them I'm sure, they're usually described as sci-fi knights or somesuch.

The Ginger Ninja
15-01-2010, 00:47
No, they don't sell primarchs. But If you look in the large 4th edition rulebook at the back in golden daemon winners, there is a model of sanguiness there

Mannimarco
15-01-2010, 01:25
those sculpts arnt that expensive if you get them direct, they only go for about 40 euros, its just their pretty hard to get hold of so anybody who knows where to get one for 40 euros doubles the price and they still sell

robertsjf
15-01-2010, 01:54
What about the minis they did for Angron, Fulgrim, Mortation and Magnus?

Mannimarco
15-01-2010, 02:49
of course there are the ones from epic, we should have remembered them

IJW
15-01-2010, 03:00
apart from leman russ and the old lord macragge
http://solegends.com/citrt/rt105lordmacragge.htm

That was just an Ultramarine Commander/Chapter Master, I'm pretty sure it was never sold as Guilliman.

As far as the Leman Russ model is concerned, I just so happen to have one up for auction, ending on Sunday (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170430776990) (Angry Angron is up there somewhere as well)... ;) but again this is not really a Primarch as it was released when Russ was 'just' a Chapter commander because the Primarchs hadn't been added to the background yet.

So including the four Epic Daemon Primarchs, it's either 4 or 5 depending on whether you include the Russ figure. 40k-scale, it's either 0 or 1.

TheWarSmith
15-01-2010, 03:37
I used to have one of "Horus". They're blatant violations of copyright. Hell, I showed a regional GW manager one i had, and he gave me $400+ in product to tell him where I got it and give him the model.....Give ya 1 guess what I did.

Lord Malorne
15-01-2010, 03:39
A fool and his money it seems.

I don't like those models, the poses are not good and the detailing is over the top and not in a good way.

Lord Malorne

The God of Decay
15-01-2010, 03:44
I used to have one of "Horus". They're blatant violations of copyright. Hell, I showed a regional GW manager one i had, and he gave me $400+ in product to tell him where I got it and give him the model.....Give ya 1 guess what I did.

You didn't give him the Horus model, and you respectfully declined the offer?

Lemmie guess, you took da Product..

I saw some that were sculpted and put on GW's Facebook page. Obviously, they aren't that big a deal.

TheWarSmith
15-01-2010, 03:53
For an entire brand new chaos army, i forked in the model. It wasn't that impressive to be worth $400 to me.

http://www.the-warforge.com/wp-content/gallery/mortarion/ronin_horus.jpg

The God of Decay
15-01-2010, 05:41
Yeah, someone posted all of those pics on GW's facebook page. GW isn't making a big deal outta them, so far as i know.

Anywhos, back on topic, no one legally makes Primarch Models, although i did see a really nice Mortarion sculpt. with plaguey angel wings.

spacewolf_sven
15-01-2010, 05:48
No, they don't sell primarchs. But If you look in the large 4th edition rulebook at the back in golden daemon winners, there is a model of sanguiness there

...Converted from a C'Tan model

The Custodian
15-01-2010, 06:30
Strange, the GW peeps here dont care about my emperor model... I want 400$ in product :( (but I wouldnt tell them the real place i got it from...)

AndrewGPaul
15-01-2010, 08:10
As far as the Leman Russ model is concerned, I just so happen to have one up for auction, ending on Sunday (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170430776990) (Angry Angron is up there somewhere as well)... ;) but again this is not really a Primarch as it was released when Russ was 'just' a Chapter commander because the Primarchs hadn't been added to the background yet.

By the time that was sculpted, IIRC, they had come up with the whole Primarch concept. The Jes Goodwin pencil drawing of him was titled "Leman Russ, Primarch of the Space Wolves", and published with a page of background including the story of how the and the Emperor first met (Russ wins a drinking contest and an eating contest, then the Emperor punshes him in the head with a power fist).

Fletch395
15-01-2010, 09:09
Why is it illegal to make a primarch model?

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
15-01-2010, 09:46
Why is it illegal to make a primarch model?

It isn't.
Only the names are protected by copyright. That's why they are never called "Horus" or the such when sold by other sculptors but rather "The Fallen Son" etc...

Tanner MIrabel
15-01-2010, 09:50
It's not illegal to make one, GW even encourages it (see Angron Apocalypse datasheet). I doubt it's even illegal to sell one you've made. What is illegal is making a cast and producing lots of them for sale - that breaks copyright.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
15-01-2010, 09:55
No. It wouldn't break copyright if you cast and sell them en masse. But it would if you call them with their GW names which are, as said before, protected. You might be successfully sued by GW if you base your model's sculpting on existing artwork that was pusblished in a GW product and hence is protected as well.

I do have the Emperor's model. But it was called "The Golden Knight". I also once had Sanguinius, which was named "Winged Angel of Death" when I bought him (sold it for 4x the price I bought it LOL).

IJW
15-01-2010, 10:08
AndrewGPaul - I'll have to go dig out the WD issue and check. The catalogues only listed him as a commander.

Casting - it wouldn't break copyright unless there were GW parts in there. The names are protected by trademark, not copyright.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
15-01-2010, 10:13
@IJW: you are right - my bad. It's trademark not copyright.

as a side note:
I just found out the shop that sold these miniatures doesn't exist anymore.

Mannimarco
15-01-2010, 12:19
blasfemos hasnt existed for ages now, the place I somtimes get mine still exists (although i think I own them all now)

AndrewGPaul
15-01-2010, 14:23
AndrewGPaul - I'll have to go dig out the WD issue and check. The catalogues only listed him as a commander.

I'll check when I get home. I'm not sure which WD the pic was in; somewhere in the 120s, I think. The picture was in the 1st edition Space Marine rulebook, and the 2-page spread of picture and story was in the Warhammer 40,000 Compilation (the yellow one with Blood Angels on the front). The pose of the miniature is a spot-on replica of the drawing, so I assume it was made from it.

I'm tempted to make a modern version, using parts from the various plastic Space Wolf sprues.

IJW
15-01-2010, 14:37
I had the Space Marine rulebook to hand, it has the text as well as the Jes Goodwin illustration. So the figure was released after Primarchs were added to the background, but perhaps before they were so 'uber' as they are currently considered...

AndrewGPaul
15-01-2010, 14:57
He did take a power fist to the noggin (and it was the Emperor doing the bashing), so they were pretty "uber" even then. Not quite so huge, though, I think.