PDA

View Full Version : Comming back to the hobby

Elannion
15-01-2010, 01:32
Hey there i have been away from the hobby for quite a while (pretty much all of 7th edition), however my dad bought me the rule book for christmas and this has inspired me to possibly get back into the hobby.

I know there are a couple of topics in the rumour section on 8th edition so my first question is should i return the rulebook my dad bought me and buy some paints or something with the money (bearing in mind i don't really have the time at the moment to massively get to grips with the rules until may really.

I was also wondering about the armies, i used to play lizardmen and bretonians, I also have a few dwarfs and tomb kings that i never really got to grips with. I was thinking of either starting with one of these armies or slowly building up a new one, I like the idea of beastmen but also possibly empire (with a kislevite scheme maybe) or orcs and goblins, i like the idea of chaos too but it seems a little dull now they have split it. Whats happening with these armies? what do you advise?

Also i don't know of anyone who plays around here having recently moved here for uni, are there any good gaming clubs in the central london area anyone knows of? i have done a search on the net and there seem to be a few clubs but its always hard to know if they play fantasy (they advertise alot of things).

Anyway thanks for your help.

enyoss
15-01-2010, 02:13
Hey there! Welcome back, I recognize your username from old although I have no idea why :).

Good question about returning the book. I think 8th is pretty close by, so it might well be a good call to return the 7th edition book and get something which might last a bit longer. As for Chaos, I really like the new Army Book and was also highly sceptical when it first came out, so it might be worth having another look. The book's also relatively recent, so you don't have to worry about getting outdated any time soon.

As for clubs in London, it all depends on where you are. Can I ask what uni you're going to?

I used to play at the Clapham Wargamers Club which was superb and easy to get to, as it's close to Clapham North and Common tube stations (so easy for the Victoria line too). As an added bonus it's held in a pub, so I could turn up early and have a quiet pint while writing out my army list (I think the staff were used to the geeks so no embarassment either!). The staff at the Oxford Street store also ran another club somewhere around Charing Cross I think, although I never found enough time to go.

Razakel
15-01-2010, 02:14
You'll have to wait for someone else to answer your rulebook question as I'm not quite sure. I would advise you to play the armies you most like. There is a fairly common agreement that Vampire Counts, Daemons of Chaos and Dark Elves are the three best armies (though not in that order).

Orcs & Goblins are quite weak right now, but Beastmen are looking promising with their new army book. Tomb Kings are also expected to get a new army book soon [TM], when that will be? I'm not sure.

Being a Dwarf player currently, I'm quite liking them, but I wouldn't advise it if you don't like to play extremely defensively. A combat Dwarf army, while viable is not advisable. Certain armies will devour you.

Lizardmen are largely unchanged, the Slann are still pumping out ridiculous amounts of Magic and staying holed up in a Temple Guard unit. There is more room these days for big scary monsters (in all armies) so bear that in mind.

Bretonnians, same deal again, some peasants, a lot of Knights and some average Magic.

My best piece of advice is to ignore everything I've just said and pick the army you think you will enjoy the most. Since you've played Warhammer before you have a basic idea of what each army is composed of and what they're good at. Pick the one you like the most, re-entering the hobby is a great chance to start a brand new army.

N810
15-01-2010, 21:05
I think you will be mostly pleasently surprised by the New Lizardmen book,
mostly stuff got cheaper and more powerfull, our lords got signifigantly cheaper,
but at a loss of some abilites. Saurus wariors with spears can now fight in 2 ranks with 2 attacks a piece... :D
skinks lost scouting, and stegs got a lot cooler. salamanders became razordons and lost auto hit,
new salamanders use the flame template and can make units take a ld test if they take a casuality.
Terradons can drop rocks again and can fly into woods, but lost some CC attacks.

Elannion
15-01-2010, 21:50
Hey there thanks for the replies, i had a look at the clubs website and i may well check it out. I am a barts and the london student, though i dunno if you have heard of us? I see your name says LA/London, i take it from the way you phrased yourself that your not in london at the moment?

I quite like the idea of dwarves, i'm just not too sure about how fun extremely defensive is to play? but then i haven't really tried it so i guess i wouldn't know.

I had a flick through the lizardmen book, it seems they have brought alot of things back to 5th edition. How do skinks play nowdays then? because thats quite a big hit to take especially since they no longer have ranged weapons (not that short bows had much better range).

enyoss
15-01-2010, 22:08
Hey there thanks for the replies, i had a look at the clubs website and i may well check it out. I am a barts and the london student, though i dunno if you have heard of us? I see your name says LA/London, i take it from the way you phrased yourself that your not in london at the moment?

Yup, I know Barts, but I was at UCL myself for a long while (not a medic though). I'm mainly based in LA now, but come back to London every once in a while (my missus and family are still there and I have a flat there too for the moment). As for the Clapham Club, you could just jump on at Moorgate and be there in no time. There are loads of WHFB players, so many so that the gaming slots book up by lunchtime Friday for the following Thursday's games, so you have to be quick!

I quite like the idea of dwarves, i'm just not too sure about how fun extremely defensive is to play? but then i haven't really tried it so i guess i wouldn't know.

They do have more options now than when I first played them years ago, in that the Anvil allows a fair amount of extra movement and they have more deployment options with Miners and Rangers. Still, if you have a dynamic playing style I'd be careful. I like fast and mobile armies like High Elves and Wood Elves, and I find playing against Dwarves like eating raisenless muesli without milk, a real chore. I think playing with them would feel much the same for me.

N810
17-01-2010, 22:28

I had a flick through the lizardmen book, it seems they have brought alot of things back to 5th edition. How do skinks play nowdays then? because thats quite a big hit to take especially since they no longer have ranged weapons (not that short bows had much better range).

Skink Skirmishers are used almost as much as they used to,
the only difference is that they can't scout and you have to pay 1 point for javelins...

on the other hand we can now buy cheap skink Cohorts (ranked skinks)
than come with javelins cheaper than basic skink skirmishers,
also they have the option to run with Kroxigors in the same unit and stitt stay core.