PDA

View Full Version : Official PDF rule updates for old armies?

d6juggernaut
15-01-2010, 01:54
First of all, I'll have to admit, I'm just a Necron player who got rather cranky after knowing that Blood Angel is getting a new codex in April. But I'm also aware that this is not the place to whine about Necron/Dark Eldar/DH etc not getting new codex.

I, like many outdated army players, crave for a new codex, but many of us won't be getting it for quite a while to come. So I believe that GW should occasionally release official PDF similar to FAQs to twick or change the rules of the old codex to keep them up to date, no need for need fluffs, no need for new units, no need for complete new models, just an official word like "from now on Necrons have the rule Stubborn"...or something like this. Old codex are workable and generally fun to play, but some of them do have crippling weaknesses that severly limit their tactics on the field.

That's just my thought, any comments, do you guys think it's workable?

Bunnahabhain
15-01-2010, 02:24
Good idea if done well, never going to happen.

GW are currently wedded to the idea of 'Codex must mean new models to push sales'.

There is no easy way out of this sales model, short of them being taken over by another company with deep enough pockets to cover any change to a sane regime...

The Ginger Ninja
15-01-2010, 02:43
They did it with the BA codex in white dwarf, then put it on the GW website Why can't they do it with the codexes that badly need an update. I suppose they would have to do it like the old chapter books, Eg blood angels (sorry using them a lot as an example) it had things like "tactical marines - see codex space marines. All they would have to do is:
The following rules do not apply __________ (eg phase out :shifty:)
The following rules now apply _________ (eg army wide stubborn)
*Wargeer Name* now does __________
*unit name* no longer has _________ and has ____________
Etc...

naloth
15-01-2010, 05:01
Prior to 3e, it was really a mess as GW did often throw in WD updates for armies, main rules, and entire new systems. I remember reading that GW got tired to people bringing a stack of White Dwarf magazines to each battle where they had to compare and decide what version of everything they were using.

Modest updates (say yearly) to the FAQ and older armies that haven't been blessed with a codex probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I really don't see it happening though. GW seems to be updating armies with pushes of new model releases. As a business strategy I'm sure it's easier to sell to stakeholders (the new best thing model) than modest releases.

Perhaps it's for the best. It's exciting when your army gets updated with a lot of new model releases. It if was done regularly with more modest changes it might not be that big of a deal.

Schismotive
15-01-2010, 07:34
GW can't just throw updates and new codex around. They have to think very carefully; 40k is a huge complicated game. If they make any mistakes they can't really just say "forget that new codex we released, go back to the old one guys."

Anyway, as nice as it would be, it would be too much to be constantly making changes to the rules everywhere. As it is there's a pretty big power creep happening with all the newer releases.

But yeah I totally agree with how much it's needed. I mean look at the Dark Eldar for example.

Thanatos_elNyx
15-01-2010, 09:22
Perhaps the Warseer community should just make all the rulebooks.
Just start with the existing ones as a base and then start adding/moulding them to be more balanced and characterful.

Kinda like the Living Rulebooks

Eternus
15-01-2010, 09:36
Perhaps the Warseer community should just make all the rulebooks.
Just start with the existing ones as a base and then start adding/moulding them to be more balanced and characterful.

Kinda like the Living Rulebooks

This is currently being done for the Fantasy Army Books.

Also, GW did a pretty comprehensive downloadable update for the Dark Eldar Codex, so they can and have done it.

Also, I am currently working on exactly this for the Witch Hunters - in case anyone didnt already notice.