PDA

View Full Version : Equipment question from a beginner.

BranWheatKillah
15-01-2010, 06:04
When you're creating an army list and choosing weapon options for figures do these options replace the weapons the figure comes equipped with initially or only if they say "swap" in the text?

For example, a Dark Elf Dark Rider comes equipped with a Hand Weapon and a Spear initially and has the option of adding a shield and a repeater crossbow.

Do you lose either of the initial weapons for adding those or is the figure considered to have them all equipped? I know the rulebook mentions that you choose which weapon you are using in a particular combat, but I wanted to make sure that having four different hand options like this was right.

Zaustus
15-01-2010, 06:13
Generally, equipment options do not replace the unit's default equipment unless specifically stated. In the specific case of Dark Riders, buying a shield or a repeater crossbow will not remove the unit's default equipment.

An example of the opposite from the same book would be Corsairs, who can swap one of their two default hand weapons for a handbow. If they do so, they no longer benefit from the +1A from additional hand weapons, but can use the bows. So it really depends on the specific wording for the unit.

mattjgilbert
15-01-2010, 08:28
Agreed. In *most* cases, you are adding additional equipment.

Braad
15-01-2010, 08:34
And no matter what, a model is ALWAYS assumed to carry a hand weapon, if you need one.

Do note that the real limitations are on whay you use, and not on what you carry. You cannot use a 2-handed weapon like a great axe in combination with a shield. But it does give you the option to choose to use either your great weapon for extra strenght, or your hand weapon with a shield for extra armour save.

If a model carries a certain combination of weapons, ideally these weapons are also represented on the models so people can see what you carry. Though many people take a different stance on this.

mattjgilbert
15-01-2010, 08:48
If a model carries a certain combination of weapons, ideally these weapons are also represented on the models so people can see what you carry. Though many people take a different stance on this.For example: 75% or more true wysiwyg is a typical percentage you see banded around for a unit. It doesn't matter if the odd few figures don't match. Keep them at the back and kill them off first :)

Griefbringer
15-01-2010, 13:06
For example: 75% or more true wysiwyg is a typical percentage you see banded around for a unit. It doesn't matter if the odd few figures don't match. Keep them at the back and kill them off first :)

Actually, the rulebook only requires that the majority of the unit is to be armed correctly, so 52% of the models being correctly modelled can be sufficient (as long as there is no room for confusion).

mattjgilbert
15-01-2010, 14:55
I think 75% was a 3rd ed rule that has stuck inside my head and will not let go :D

Griefbringer
15-01-2010, 19:19
I think 75% was a 3rd ed rule that has stuck inside my head and will not let go :D

Had to check my 3rd edition books. In the main rulebook, the requirement is just that more than half of the unit needs to be armed properly. With the Warhammer Armies, there are more varied restrictions - however, the 75% limit only applies to "bows, crossbows and other non-thrown missile weapons" while some other weapon types were quite liberal when it came to their representation on models.