PDA

View Full Version : GW policy vs. Space Hulk models

spaint2k
15-01-2010, 07:56
I searched and found nothing related to this, but I just read on another website that GW stores do not allow people to use Space Hulk models in their 40K armies. Can anyone confirm this?

WinglessVT2
15-01-2010, 07:57
I've never played in a GW-owned store, ever.

spaint2k
15-01-2010, 08:00
I've never played in a GW-owned store, ever.

So does that mean you've heard of the policy I mentioned above or not?

It doesn't affect me either, since I live about 7000 miles away from the closest GW but I'm still curious.

mattjgilbert
15-01-2010, 08:04
That would be not like allowing a converted warhammer fantasy figure in 40K or vice versa. I find it very hard to beleive.

Perhaps the models in question were not on round bases and the store thought that might confuse people trying to learn or watch the game. That would make more sense: so not the fact they were space hulk models, but the state they were in.

carlisimo
15-01-2010, 08:08
GW stores tend to have store-specific rules. The store manager has a lot of decision-making power.

The only legal restriction GW has to enforce (or else get sued) is no mixing Lord of the Rings models with any others, due to licensing terms.

Xelloss
15-01-2010, 08:26
The only legal restriction GW has to enforce (or else get sued) is no mixing Lord of the Rings models with any others, due to licensing terms.
Yet an other reason making LotR seems to have been a bad idea... (On an other hand the scale isn't the same so it doesn't really matters)

AndrewGPaul
15-01-2010, 08:27

I thought that requirement no longer existed.

Max1mum
15-01-2010, 08:35
I don't believe for one second that a GW store would stop somebody from playing his Space Hulk mini's in a regular game.

The only plausible angle i could think of has been suplied allready by mattjgilbert. That would be in relation to the basis they are on.

genestealer_baldric
15-01-2010, 08:49
It would be fine at our store some people have used the stealers and broodlords on TT, i think its all down to your local store and maybe not in GT tornis but ok everywhere else.

Keebrev
15-01-2010, 10:38
Plus there is mention of using your SH models in 40k games in White Dwarf. So if they suggest it themselves, it would be odd if you couldn't use em in a GW-store.

Spider-pope
15-01-2010, 10:56
GW stores tend to have store-specific rules. The store manager has a lot of decision-making power.

Not anymore boyo. That idiotic concept was dropped as soon as New Line was taken over by Warners, and their legal department had a look at that particular clause. New Line had no right to stipulate what can and cannot be played within a GW store, regardless of any license agreement. So there is no restriction on mixing and matching between LOTR and the other GW games anymore.

That said, if you use a mixed force in a tournemant or for Golden Daemon, your miniatures wont appear in WD or the GW website, as this crosses over into advertising rules.

As for Space Hulk, its not an official policy at all. So if it has occurred its due to the manager being a dick.

the_picto
15-01-2010, 11:53
My local GW, the nottingham store, doesn't have a problem. I've used the stealers with my nid army before and will again now the new codex is out.

I can't vouch for other stores, but I doubt there'd be a problem.

Tymell
15-01-2010, 11:58
As far as I'm aware there's no official ruling, and I think it would have to be a very hard-line store manager to refuse it.

Mannimarco
15-01-2010, 12:11
cant say ive ever heard that rule out here, its probably just the bases issue people above have mentioned

bluenova
15-01-2010, 12:13
Plus there is mention of using your SH models in 40k games in White Dwarf. So if they suggest it themselves, it would be odd if you couldn't use em in a GW-store.

Like the bad boy Lone Wolf from this GW daily blog a couple of months back: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=4700030a

Ph4lanx
15-01-2010, 12:53
The whole legal thing with LOTR models not being allowed to be used has long gone. My girlfriend is building a Wood Elves army, and was considering using the eagle from LOTR for her Great Eagle, along with the Ent for her Treeman Ancient.

She didn't in the end, but the store said there was no problem mixing them. I did ask about the copyright, but they said that had been resolved long ago.