PDA

View Full Version : cosairs of iyanden

OneMeanDuck
15-01-2010, 14:36
I am starting to paint my models and I like the idea of iyanden cosairs. Thinking of a blue with the yellow camo look kinda like alltiocs or maybe yellow stripe like yriel's flag on the GW websight.

Anyways where can I find the fluff behind the cosairs? What kind of units do they use. I assume they are like iyanden with the wraithguard and wraithlords.... I plan on playing mostly hybrid but sometimes going pure mech and maybe pure infantry. Basically I plan on using every unit they have from time to time...

Poseidal
15-01-2010, 15:24
Corsairs used to be the old force before the Craftworld lists were developed.

The particular ones led by Yriel, the Eldritch Raiders had the Dark Blue / Yellow scheme with the tiger stripe patterns on their helmets sometimes. The main body armour was coloured Dark Blue (almost black looking, but not quite). They are mostly from the Iyanden fleets that left with Yriel, plus any others he recruited.

They had a different sort of organisation to the craftworlds though. They probably have less Aspects (though you can use them to represent the moe elite or them). Maybe there should be more Storm Guardians than Defenders if you take them (to represent raiders), and possibly lots of bikes (for the biker gang feel).

They do have vehicles though, they had Dreadnouts back in RT (Wraithlords) and also War Walkers.

OneMeanDuck
15-01-2010, 18:54
Ok from a new painter so to speak (never put much time into my armies before. But I am going to take my time with this one.) What would be the best citadel color combo for this army? My other thoughts was black/wraithbone with red stripes...

Archangel_Ruined
15-01-2010, 19:08
I'd work from the foundation paints upwards. Iyanden Darksun for the yellow base and necron abyss or mordian blue for the dark blues (duh...). The Badab black wash for the blue and gryphonne sepia for the yellow will handle the shading, then you just have to put in some highlights. The real struggle will be getting a flat, clean yellow but the foundation range has made this so much easier than it used to be. If you keep it simple to begin with they'll look clean, neat and striking on the table, and after a few squads of grunts you'll have your eye in nicely for painting the characters and special units.

OneMeanDuck
15-01-2010, 19:16
Then I wouldn't prime them black huh? Just pain a pasecoat of yellow? Cause I plan on only painting the helms and capes witht the yellow stripes. And the tanks... should I use wraithbone for the guns? I like the wraithbone and black look...

Archangel_Ruined
15-01-2010, 19:24
I undercoat everything black, I'm just not patient enough for white. I'd paint each unit slightly differently myself, vary the scheme but keep the same yellows and blues. It will better fit the less regimented 'corsair' feel of the army.

OneMeanDuck
15-01-2010, 19:40
I like that idea. I do plan on painting the aspects blue and yellow also. I am not a fan of the different colors fore the aspects..

chromedog
15-01-2010, 21:33
There is some fluff on the Eldritch Raiders in the Battlefleet Gothic material.
Here: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1280015_BFG_Yriels_Raiders.pdf

Otherwise, the corsairs were last an army in RT. They essentially had Guardian Storm squads, Defender squads, tanks, light skimmers and jetbikers (but not the wraith constructs - these constructs were defending Iyanden while Yriel was off a-reaving).

Not every Craftworld follows the "traditional" colours for the aspects (it's tradition, not mandatory). Some are known to simply use their own craftworld colours (but will use a shrine colour on a minor detail). Besides, the colours have changed a little since incept of the Aspects (in 1990).

OneMeanDuck
16-01-2010, 01:41
Well scratch that idea since I love my wraithlords.... I guess its time to make my own craftworld!

chromedog
16-01-2010, 03:02
Oh, but they DID have DREADNOUGHTS (which had actual pilots).
You'd just have to field the old-style one (that's why it has such a big head - there's supposed to be a pilot in it, like the warwalker). The current Wraithlord is an amalgam of the old dreadnought and the old "spirit"walker (dreadnought piloted by a spiritstone).

Just the Iyanden Ghost army was not part of the corsair fleet.

Archangel_Ruined
16-01-2010, 18:58
I don't think you'd need to be that anal about it, just field the new, rather nice wraithlord model. I can't see anyone complaining, there's no reason your corsairs couldn't have picked the idea up from a craftworld on their travels