PDA

View Full Version : Quick need help

Archa0n
15-01-2010, 15:43
okay...heres the thing guys, my girlfriend is giving me a late christmas present...AUD$300 to spend at my local games workshop and i was looking to start a new army with this (prolly not gonna get a lot but at least get a start) i was thinking either IG, Tau or Necrons....im looking to be competitive but also not a WIN AT ALL COSTS freak...but which army out of this is the most competitive?

Imperial Guard

Tau

Necrons

azimaith
15-01-2010, 15:45
Imperial Guard

SPYDER68
15-01-2010, 16:00
Easily, Imperial guard.

Sihsboy
15-01-2010, 16:03
Pfft, get Necrons. I had a 2k game with my local store managers Imperial Fists last week, pummeled him to the ground. Can't stop 2 monoliths and Nightbringer.

Plus we're ment to be getting a new codex later this year, so a start now would get you built up for then.

Culven
15-01-2010, 16:26
If you are looking at starting Imperial Guard, two battleforces, and three Command Squad sets, and a Heavy Weapon squad will have you well on your way to an army. You may be able to get it near 1500 points. I'm not sure what the cost of this would be.

With a couple of Tau battleforces, a Skyray (never buy the Hammerhead set, everything is in the Skyray set along with the Skyray turret sprue), and maybe a few additional battlesuits, you would be able to build a decent army.

Necrons are probably the same way as the others. Two battleforces and a few additional sets.

In the end, it will depend upon which army you want to play or if you just want the largest army (points-wise) for your money.

bigcheese76
16-01-2010, 12:22
If you are looking at starting Imperial Guard, two battleforces, and three Command Squad sets, and a Heavy Weapon squad will have you well on your way to an army. You may be able to get it near 1500 points.

An IG army without any Russes? Doesnt seem right to me.

Of the three options Imperial Guard are definately the most competative at the moment but with rumours about new a new codex for the Necrons in the pipeline it might be worth giving them a shot. The main thing I have against playing as Necrons at the moment is their lack of variety, especially in the Troops section. You may get bored of painting very similar models endlessly. They can also be a bit boring to play as the general tactic seems to be stand in a long line and shoot alot.

Thud
16-01-2010, 13:16
Imperial Guard is the most competitive army of those three, hands down.

But ignore that, pick the army you like best.

d6juggernaut
16-01-2010, 14:03
Like many above me have said, pick the army you like best, but if you have no clear preference, get Imperial Guard, better codex, more models, more conversion potentials

tezza21
16-01-2010, 14:10
definatly guard i have just started a guard army aswell i did have a necron army but i just got so bored with them

Lord Malorne
16-01-2010, 14:31
Spend it on an existing army.

Lord Malorne

Culven
16-01-2010, 19:18
An IG army without any Russes? Doesnt seem right to me.
I play Catachans. An army with Russes doesn't seem right to me. ;)

Does the cadian battleforce still have the Russ, or did they switch it out for the Sentinel? Those I had purchased each included a Leman Russ.

Eldoriath
16-01-2010, 19:40
In terms of competitiveness I guess the IG codex is the best of those three, but I'd bet you can play all three armies effectively as long as your not after WAAC. I enjoy my tau much although I also have an IG force, the two armies are extremely different in playing style although both are basically shooty.

starlight
16-01-2010, 19:47
Get the one you will finish painting and enjoy playing with... :)

Of the options given, I'd go with IG. :)

Chief Librarian Zypher
16-01-2010, 19:53
My say is spend it on an existing army if you already have one, but if not go with Imperial Guard. Focus on Vet Squads, Spcl Wpn Squads, Valkyries, and Basilisks.

starlight
17-01-2010, 00:58
Another option is to splurge on something FW for one of your existing armies... ;)

Thud
17-01-2010, 01:06
Another option is to splurge on something FW for one of your existing armies... ;)

Never a bad option!

Lord_Squinty
17-01-2010, 01:13
Pfft, get Necrons. I had a 2k game with my local store managers Imperial Fists last week, pummeled him to the ground. Can't stop 2 monoliths and Nightbringer.

LOL, means nothing - with one exception all managers I've played are crap.
Most barely even know the rules.... :shifty:

And - don't take this the wrong way, but nightbringer is for noobs - Deceiver is miles better ;)