PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Ogre Alternatives?

ShadowKnight64
15-01-2010, 21:26
Hey, maybe this is the wrong spot to put this but I hope someone can help me out. Is there any other alternatives to GW's dragon ogre models. Love the concept but the models are just grotesque. Where else should I look or should I just sit tight and wait for GW to come out with new models. I haven't heard of them being released in the seeable future but I may be wrong. Can anyone help me?

Tyranno1
15-01-2010, 21:31
There was a great guide to making your own plastic ones by mixing the Irongut and Lizardmen Cold ones together.

Unfortunatly I cant remember where it was. :(

But as to your question about new models, there was a rumour they would be released with the Beastmen. Of course that has not happened, and they arent a top priority model like core units so I am guessing they will not be replacing them for a while.

Lord Malorne
15-01-2010, 21:37
Huh, I like the models :confused:. People in the project logs have made their own, go take a look.

Lord Malorne

mythic77
15-01-2010, 21:44
One of the guys I play with made some out of lizardmen cold ones and ironguts.

Unuhexium
15-01-2010, 21:44
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71587 This is the thread you're looking for. I'm working on a group as well. It's fun and the result is just awesome.

Ps. Here's my m/p logg on the subject. http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218339 Haven't updated it in a long time, but I'm getting some spare time in the week to come so hopefully I'll be able to update it.

kris.sherriff
15-01-2010, 22:18
I made mine like this;
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/krissherriff/Chaos/IMGP0116.jpg

I think the ones using the cold ones look too weedy around the waste but I had to do a lot of work on the lower body to get these how I wanted.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii156/krissherriff/Chaos/IMGP0114.jpg

Was worth it though as I like how they came out.

Kris

Geshmaal
15-01-2010, 22:32
If you're too lazy to convert...Minotaurs could be a good approximation. Especially since in the new Beastmen book they're S5. If you're already considering a Beastmen army (like me) then it's an attractive prospect to have units you can use across both armies...

andymeechan
15-01-2010, 22:51
Although Kris' models are very nice, I wanted a torso which was more in proprtion to the lower half. Using Ogres this can be part solved by extending the forelegs, but I looked to the [more recent] Shaggoth for inspiration.

The more vestigial look to the forelegs, vertical posture, and even the caparison armour all appealed. In hindsight I would have used Ork Nob bodies - instead of Black Orcs - for better painting options. I believe the heads will fit in once painted (and if not then I can always replace 'em).

kris.sherriff
15-01-2010, 23:22
Really like yours actually Andy, and they would have been a dam sight cheaper than mine.

Kris

Briohmar
16-01-2010, 00:04
I also went with the Orc rather than ogre conversion. I think the conversion came out quite well, though I still haven't painted them, too many other projects from the spouse to allow me any paint time.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/wargames001-1.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/wargames002.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/wargames006.jpg

Unuhexium
16-01-2010, 00:16
Cool mutations Briohmar.

innerwolf
16-01-2010, 01:05
Although Kris' models are very nice, I wanted a torso which was more in proprtion to the lower half. Using Ogres this can be part solved by extending the forelegs, but I looked to the [more recent] Shaggoth for inspiration.

The more vestigial look to the forelegs, vertical posture, and even the caparison armour all appealed. In hindsight I would have used Ork Nob bodies - instead of Black Orcs - for better painting options. I believe the heads will fit in once painted (and if not then I can always replace 'em).

Better proportionated than those half ogre-half coldone conversions. I love them

ShadowKnight64
16-01-2010, 01:29
Hey guys really appreciate the posts and ideas. My fiance has both orks and cold ones... maybe i can convince her for some.......... lol i much prefer the ork conversions and cold ones, to me they look much more accurately sized. but i would like something ogre/dragony, its there anything someone would suggest that would be pretty cool?

Briohmar
16-01-2010, 01:37
The standard bearer and chariot spear model arms do the best if you intend to go with great weapons. as for the standard orc bodies, with the older cold ones, just cut off the neck where it joins with the main body. The orc torsos actually angle back a bit which give them quite an effective join at that point, and give a lot of stability to the join as well. Repositioning the cold one legs is also essential, or the torsos will be staring down into the mud. As you can see from mine, i did go with ogre heads, as I thought it gave them a slightly different appearance, and they didn't just look like orctaurs that way. A little green stuff and some spare antlers from beastmen or warriors will finish the job off nicely.

chaosviking
16-01-2010, 05:36
What I did was I cut the head off the cold ones, to the collar, and cut the legs off the ironguts just below the belt. The ogre half was fit on top of the cold ones 'shoulders' and I used the gutplate and draping chainmail/cloth to cover the cold one's neck. I used green stuff to bring the two together more and am currently trying to decide how to model some more chain-mail around the 'waist' of the creature.

Sleazy
16-01-2010, 15:35
I saw some good ones recently using iron guts and krootox.

Makaber
16-01-2010, 16:42
I made mine with the old Dark Elf Cold Ones and Ogres. I think they turned out very well, but it's kinda tricky to make it look natural. I took some pictures of the first one I made. Later on, I replaced the foreleg hands with Genestealer claws, which looked a lot more anatomically sound.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/makaber/Beastmen/ogrefront.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/makaber/Beastmen/ogreleft.jpg

ShadowKnight64
16-01-2010, 16:57
Sorry I had meant to say I wanted something more ogre/dragony for the head, not the bodies. I really like the orc bodies ontop of the cold ones. How did you fit them onto the 40 x 40 base? Was it tough or did you just let them overhang a little bit. Jwing as this might be my next project. Besides painting more things, I virtually have all my building projects finished. So this may be my next conversion.

Col. Tartleton
16-01-2010, 17:16
I had an idea to use saurus warriors and cold ones for run of the mill ones, the new beefy kroxigors and carnosaurs for shaggoths. I mean they were supposed to evolve naturally (well, as naturally as Dragons) so I envisioned them as reptilian centauroids rather then lizard-ogres. Then I was going to have blocks of saurus warrior as chaos warriors and skink marauders.

I'm no closer to doing any of it, but it remains my good idea.

Azethel
17-01-2010, 13:54
I have the bits and am in the process of converting mine using iron guts heads, 4thEd kroxigor torsos and flesh hound bodies...the scales and proportions seem to fit rather well. I am having a bitch of a time sawing through all the metal though and they will end up being rather pricey compared to other conversions.

Briohmar
17-01-2010, 17:25
Sorry I had meant to say I wanted something more ogre/dragony for the head, not the bodies. I really like the orc bodies ontop of the cold ones. How did you fit them onto the 40 x 40 base? Was it tough or did you just let them overhang a little bit.

The cold ones are designed to go on a smaller base, so mounting them on the larger one is really quite simple. If you look on mine, you'll see some grey stuff (bought the Tamiya 2 part epoxy ribbon) molded to the base to help with the mounting, and I have some aquarium plants that will attach to the base to cover the awquardness of it. the three I did not only fit the bases, they actually rank up, and they're not so top/front heavy that they fall over.

I agree on the heads but again if you look at mine, you'll see they have the ogre heads, and they really don't look too disproportionate, except the one with the mutated double head.

ashc
18-01-2010, 14:30
Some really nice ideas in this thread to *cough* borrow... ;)

PTS
18-01-2010, 21:54

Andy, your conversions look amazing. Are the main bodies from the Cold Ones kit? When you say Ork Nobs would've been the better option, do you mean 40k Ork Nobs?

andymeechan
22-01-2010, 23:04
Andy, your conversions look amazing. Are the main bodies from the Cold Ones kit? When you say Ork Nobs would've been the better option, do you mean 40k Ork Nobs?

Cheers fella. Saurus Cold Ones and Black Orcs - one box of each nets you eight Dragon Ogres! Oh, and you'll need some Green Stuff. I picked up tons from Heresy (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/).

And yes, my spelling was correct: it's the 40k OrK Nobz I was contemplating. In hindsight it's not a great idea: I just fancied more flesh on show as it would provide better painting.

Seville
22-01-2010, 23:53
I dunno, I personally intend to buy a box of those awesome new Beastman Minotaurs and have them count as Dragon Ogres. My FLGS just got the sprues in yesterday and man, oh man are those things awesome. Wow. Slap some great weapons on 'em and call 'em Dragon Ogres, IMO.

Eta
23-01-2010, 02:00
I just nicked Elazar's idea and built my dragon ogres out of black orcs and DE cold ones :)

Greetings
Eta

Zaustus
23-01-2010, 02:46
That DE cold one + black orc conversion is fantastic, that's exactly the sort of idea I've been looking for. Thanks!

Gerod253
23-01-2010, 23:47
Another option for those who are on a budget is the Centigor Herd box. $58 USD gets you five of them. They aren't as lizard like but still look fairly neat in my opinion.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat340011a&prodId=prod1040582

Tzilo
24-01-2010, 14:12
Loving the DE cold one conversion. Could anyone point me to a good Shaggoth conversion? For curiosity's sake?

ShadowKnight64
24-01-2010, 16:17
LOVE that conversion! gonna definately have to use that for sure!! any more information on how it was done? greenstuff wrapped around the waist as armor? or what am i seeing that needs to be done for this one?

Idle Scholar
24-01-2010, 16:50
I'm making mine out of DE Cold ones, Black Orc bodies and ogre heads. A bit of terrain on the 40 mm bases and they rank up just fine.

Poseidal
24-01-2010, 17:29
Those Cold-One Black Ork ones look great. How well do the parts fit together? was there much green-stuffing to do?

I think I might do the same sometime.