PDA

View Full Version : What size base are you going to use for the Tervigon/Tyrannofex?

Shadowfax
16-01-2010, 00:18
There's been quite a lot of discussion about this mystery, and now I want to see what people have finally decided and how the vote goes.

So here's the question:

Say you're playing a game tomorrow (as I'm sure many people are) and you're going to field a Tervigon and/or a Tyrannofex; do you use the Trygon/Mawloc sized oval base (94mm x 120mm) or the Carnifex sized circular base (60mm)?

Reasons for using the large oval

- Both of the Tyranid monstrous creatures who have 6 wounds and have been released as an official model use the large oval base. All currently released Tyranid monsters with 4 wounds use the smaller circular base. Tervigons and T-fexes have 6 wounds, so there is convincing circumstantial evidence that they should also go on the large base.

- The T-fex looks vaguely like a Hierophant in the codex art, and therefore seems suited to larger base than normal.

- For those who plan on using the Trygon kit as the basis for a Tervigon/T-fex conversion, the large base will be necessary for obvious reasons.

Reasons for using the smaller circle

- The Tervigon has area effect abilities that benefit from a larger base, so putting him on the large oval may elicit accusations of modeling for advantage.

- The Tervigon looks quite like a Carnifex in the codex art, and therefore seems compatible with the regular Carnifex base.

- For those who plan on using the Carnifex kit as a basis for a Tervigon/T-fex conversion, the smaller base will be the most intuitive basing solution.

ehlijen
16-01-2010, 00:22
Another reason to pick the smaller base:

If it later turns out that it should have gone on the larger base, you can just glue the smaller base on top of the larger base, no cutting needed.

Veloxnex
16-01-2010, 00:26
Due to the size of my tervigon conversions, they look retarded on a 60mm, but just right on a oval.

Lord Cook
16-01-2010, 04:02
Well for the Tyrannofex there's really no question. It needs the 120 x 94mm base in my opinion.

The Tervigon is more of an issue. This really depends on your conversion, and whether or not it will look oversized on the circular base or not. I voted for 60mm, but on reflection I'm leaning towards the oval.

Netfreakk
16-01-2010, 04:20
Going to put in on a terminator 40mm base and make it 1.5" tall so I can hide it behind a low wall. >=)

No seriously, I'm probably going to make one on a 60mm due to not wanting to seem like I'm modeling for an advantage and like the person above stated, it's easier to just glue the base on a bigger base if needed.

Shadowfax
16-01-2010, 05:00
What happens if they never make a T-fex model?

I'd say the Tervigon is a guarantee, as well as the Landing Spore, but the T-fex and Harpy might stay conversion bait forever (or at least until Forgeworld gets their hands on 'em).

AlmightyNocturnus
16-01-2010, 07:27
I am inclined to go with the "6 wounds equals big-a$$ base" group. They are rather expensive to just order on their own, but hey....

Almighty Nocturnus

BiOvOrE
16-01-2010, 09:09
What happens if they never make a T-fex model?

Just looking at the art for the Tervigon and Tyrannofex in the codex, I'd say that they look very similar. Both have a Carnifexish overall shape, they both use one set of normal legs as well as both sets of Scything Talons as middle and front legs, and they both have triple rows of smokestacks on their backs.

Hopefully, if a model is released it'll be a dual purpose Tervigon/Tyrannofex box, with the parts for both, like the Trygon/Mawloc box.