PDA

View Full Version : United Elf Renegades....

Alaitoc
16-01-2010, 10:14
Yesterday I though a lot about what my next army should be, and I really want to do something special about my next army, something that you don't see a lot.

I want to go with elves, mostly because now I play O&G and now I want more fragile and fast troops that are not so..."Bashy", if you know what I mean.

The idea was to have a warband of "renegade" elves that doesn't really have a "nationality". They are normads, and live wherever there are most rescources for the time, and they don't really care about the hate between dark elves and high elves, and are neutral to both sides. They have been in both ulthuan and naggaroth (sp?), the empire and in the mountains, traveling where they need or are needed, acting as both heroes, villains and sometimes mercenaries.

I was thinking about having the high elves rules, and models wise, this is what I was thinking..

Lords/Heores
Lords/nobles - Dark elf dreadlords (Cold ones act as barded elven steeds)
Mages - High elf mages

Core
Spearmen - High elf spearmen (Without much bling)
Archers - Wood elf glade guards

Special
Chariot - High elf chariot
Swordsmasters - Exectutioners
Phoenix guard - Black guard
White lions - White lions
Dragon princes - Dark elves Cold one knights
Shadow warriors - Wood elves glade guard (Scouts)
Ellyrian reavers - Glade riders

Rare
Repeater bolt throwers - High elf version

What do you think? Would you accept me having different models for an "international" elf army? And would it be accepted in a tournament for example?

Ultimate Life Form
16-01-2010, 10:20
Sounds cool, but this weird mixup of units from 3 different armies might be highly irritating; I'd have to see it in live action to know if I'd like it...

And I think tournaments will have a similar view. If you want to use High Elf rules anyway, why not use HE models and paint them a bit more grimy? I think a HE army with dark brown cloaks or even a DE color scheme might look awesome...

stijnq
16-01-2010, 10:40
Now this is interesting, I've been toying with a pretty similar idea for a while now, but I've chosen the more dark path. So actually the thought behind it is pretty much the same, but they're of dark elf race, but not to keen of Malekith and friends.

For your story, I'm wondering why you just don't use Dark Elf Rules, because the majority of models you want are DE ones it seems to me.
I agree with ULF in that it could get quite confusing with al the different units, and I'm sure a good paint job makes a big difference.

The Red Scourge
16-01-2010, 10:52
Modelwise, just go with whatever you fancy. Its your money after all, and a uniform paint scheme will make everything look coherent :)

Alaitoc
16-01-2010, 10:52
The mix up between 3 different armies won't be a problem models wise I think. I'll give them a solid paint job so there won't be any question wether they belong to the same army. They will have the appropriate weapons for each unit.
I want the unarmoured models to look really like rangers- backup units that look REALLY sneaky, and that look fast, dark and somewhat ninja- ish, therefore the wood elves. The high elf spearmen shall use dark elves shields, so they look less like pure high elven spearmen.

The reason I don't want to use the dark elves rules, is because I want to go with wood elves models as the backup- ranger - ranged support, and they use longbows, so are high elves...And repeater crossbows are really not my style:p

And if you go for dark elves rules, AND have a dark colour scheme...on elves..people will find you army EVIL! And I don't want that! Theese are neither good or bad, they're something in between.

stijnq
16-01-2010, 11:05
Then you should take Dark Elves and paint them white :-)

Nephilim of Sin
16-01-2010, 12:00
Yeah, this sounds interesting. Don't worry about models causing confusion, because, after all, many of us convert, and nothing we use looks stock. So long as the opponent can reasonably make out what it is supposed to be (and you explain before hand), you won't have a problem.

But, you should start a Project Log to show us your progress.

Condottiere
16-01-2010, 13:18
Now that you know which models you want in your army, perhaps drafting a mini-dex will help you in the creation of your new force, since you'll be able to compare it with other existing lists, and will be able to cost each unit/model appropriately.

SilverWarlock
16-01-2010, 16:06
I would think renegade would not be particularly rich or have access to high tech (for warhammer) forges ... I would suggest the wood elves as models for the rank and file and light horsies. They have characters which are very nice and would do fine for HE chars really (actually I find them nicer without the white bath robes). Eternal guard make good spearmen, glade guard as archers, glade riders as riders. I'd use the waywatchers as shadow warriors. Now on the specials I think the HE (converted rather heavily) would look best.

Either way to make it look good you are going to need to be good with green stuff. The spiky DE armor, while making for really nice models, is extremely characteristic of their armies and would seem odd to find on non-DE troops.

Remember that wood elf models are only ever painted one way by GW. With a more brown and grey theme they don't look woody at all.

Rogue
16-01-2010, 16:15
I have seen a Dark Elf army match what you are thinking without much trouble in a tournament. If you have not, I would recommend that you read the Silmarillion for more ideas. I would say to do the army. As long as you have your cold ones only as Dragon Princes I think you should have no problems.

TheDarkDuke
17-01-2010, 00:34
I think you can rather make things far easier by using a combination of HE/DE/WE plastics for each different armies. Try to do some minor swaps in each unit to "tie" the army together more.

Urgat
17-01-2010, 01:16
Well, the units you use are pretty straightforward, so I wouldn't have any problem with that. You got to be very dense not to accept that executionners stand for swordmasters in a HE army, ruleswise.