PDA

View Full Version : Warhound model?

alfa
16-01-2010, 19:12
Has anybody heard of any news about plastic warhound titan? I sure would like to have something big to put against my ork stompa...

Sildani
16-01-2010, 19:14
No news at all. There's talk of a plastic T-Hawk coming out around the Blood Angel release, but enough people are refuting that so I don't think it'll happen either. Yet.

CraftworldsRus
16-01-2010, 20:45
It isn't even on the radar just yet. Maybe never.

MadHatter
16-01-2010, 20:52
I would not count on seeing a warhound titan in plastics anytime soon. and I know they were working on the plastic t hawk model when i worked for GW a couple years ago, but i was told they canned that idea do to mold issues. So i would not consider that to be a real rumor until it is being advertised on preorders.

devlin
16-01-2010, 20:56
maybe not a warhound or thunderhawk but is there any rumours of any big models coming this year

Lyonator
16-01-2010, 21:49
Scratchbuild your own!
Doubt it will be soon, if ever.

Lord Malorne
16-01-2010, 22:01
Has anybody heard of any news about plastic warhound titan? I sure would like to have something big to put against my ork stompa...

No news, not even whispers, also, why did you use an Ellipsis?

Lord Malorne

viking657
16-01-2010, 22:45
I've heard from a someone who works at GW Hq that the idea is certainly floating about thanks to the recent advances in molding that the baneblade kicked off but its doubtful it will be anytime soon.

I'm thinking the kit will probably arrive when I've saved up enough for a forgeworld one, bought it, nearly lost my mind pinning it and just about finished painting it.
then it will be on the shelf

bigcheese76
16-01-2010, 23:40
I highly doubt that we will see a Warhound in plastic anytime soon as the Titans are the main sort of product that keep Forge World afloat. If GW produced a titan in plastic, then Forge Worlds sales would decrease to much.

Bookwrak
16-01-2010, 23:46
I've heard from a someone who works at GW Hq that the idea is certainly floating about thanks to the recent advances in molding that the baneblade kicked off but its doubtful it will be anytime soon.
That's been pretty much the same rumor that's been kicking around for a looooong time. When Apocalypse was announced, people starting plastic Warhound rumors pretty hard, with plenty of people having, 'inside sources' telling them it was happening, and then when the first teasers came out, such as the two page spread with the warhound in the background, people were all over it, pointing out all the design 'differences' it had that proved it must've been from the plastic kit.

The thunderhawk's been pretty much the same, with the rumors gaining particular strength when news of Planetstrike started leaking out. People liked the sound of it being the 'big release' for PS. There was another internet wide resurgence a little while back when someone looked at a picture of a guy holding his Thunderhawk in the middle of a game and decided there was no way you could do that with a resin version, so it had to be a plastic prototype. There was some similar over-analyzation, but in the end the guy from the picture actually weighed in and set the record straight.

So, TL : DR, rumors of the two being released in plastic have been floating around forever, but there has never been anything to ever back them up. :shifty:

Alessander
17-01-2010, 02:28
Baneblade sales lead to the Stompa, and if stompa sales were high GW were going to concider a Thunderhawk. Since Stompa sales were not as insanely high as the Baneblade, looks like the T-Hawk got pushed back. A titan wouldn't come until at least a few years after a Thunderhawk.

MadHatter
18-01-2010, 08:38
from what i was told when i worked there they tried the thunder hawk but were having issues with the molds working. So they were caning it.

I agree do not put any value to rumors about such models.

Promethius
18-01-2010, 09:55
The T-Hawk rumour has been doing the rounds for ages. The impression I get with that one is that it's a question of 'when', not 'if'. I think the plastic warhound was purely fan speculation, although it would be an insanely cool kit. As for forgeworld loosing sales, there's probably only a few people who will pay forgeworld prices for a titan, and most of them will already have one (or three). Personally I can't stand working with resin so a plastic kit would be the only way you'd get me near a warhound.

Thud
18-01-2010, 14:14
Considering the amount of pieces in the Warhound kit I doubt there will be a plastic version for quite a while.

sydbridges
18-01-2010, 15:32
A plastic warhound, like a plastic thunderhawk or bigfoot, is one of those things where occasionally someone will come by claiming that it exists, possibly pointing to a grainy photo as proof.

Like with bigfoot, I'll believe in a plastic warhound when people have actually caught one.

LonelyPath
18-01-2010, 16:43
Between a Thunderhawk and a Warhound, the former would be the more likely given that GW are able to mold larger kits these days. A look at the Fortress of Redemption is all you need to how it could be done. However, for every rumour of one being on its way, a counter rumour is started to dispute its authenticity.

No one really knows what (if anything) is coming where super heavies are concerned. No doubt we'll see more in time, it's just a matter of when and what.

Tonberry
18-01-2010, 17:09
I highly doubt that we will see a Warhound in plastic anytime soon as the Titans are the main sort of product that keep Forge World afloat. If GW produced a titan in plastic, then Forge Worlds sales would decrease to much.

Forge World = Games Workshop. It's not a seperate company, so if FW sales go down and GW sales go up, the net change is 0.

galahad67
18-01-2010, 17:19
On a business case basis, a warhouond makes a LOT more sense than either a stompa or a t-hawk.

Stompa- orks only
T-hawk - marine only (although there ARE a LOT of maine armies...)
Warhound - = all imperials and any Chaos renegades or marine forces Plus any Tau

They would sell a lot of warhounds...
perhaps not as may as baneblades but way more than the stompa models.

The pestilent 1
18-01-2010, 17:36
Except Marines are the best selling, with Orks just behind as I recall...

Bookwrak
18-01-2010, 18:11
By that reckoning, the thunderhawk would be the most sensible model to make, given that Marines sales outstrip everything else by a pretty decent margin.

Baneblade sales lead to the Stompa, and if stompa sales were high GW were going to concider a Thunderhawk. Since Stompa sales were not as insanely high as the Baneblade, looks like the T-Hawk got pushed back.

Except that they knew Stompa sales would be nowhere near that of the Baneblade. It's look a little odd for anyone other than Orks to field a stompa, but anyone can use a baneblade.

Chaos? Traitor Guardsmen.
Tau? Traitor Guardsmen.
Tyranids? Gebestealer Cult Traitor Guardsmen.
Dark Eldar? Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen.
Eldar? Farseer manipulated them into becoming Traitor Guardsmen.

:D

Deus Mechanicus
18-01-2010, 18:21
That's alotta traitor guardsmen

sydbridges
18-01-2010, 19:08
By that reckoning, the thunderhawk would be the most sensible model to make, given that Marines sales outstrip everything else by a pretty decent margin.

Except that they knew Stompa sales would be nowhere near that of the Baneblade. It's look a little odd for anyone other than Orks to field a stompa, but anyone can use a baneblade.

Chaos? Traitor Guardsmen.
Tau? Traitor Guardsmen.
Tyranids? Gebestealer Cult Traitor Guardsmen.
Dark Eldar? Enslaved Traitor Guardsmen.
Eldar? Farseer manipulated them into becoming Traitor Guardsmen.

:D

Don't forget:
Orks? Stolen Baneblade
Demons? Possessed Baneblade
Necrons? Scarab-controlled Baneblade
Space Marines? Secret Marine Baneblade
SoB/GK? Inducted Baneblade

Bookwrak
18-01-2010, 19:13
Whoops, I forgot about the Necrons. I was just listing the armies that would need the sillier justifications.

That's alotta traitor guardsmen

Traitor Guardsmen make the universe go 'round.

alfa
19-01-2010, 18:25
The reason I made this question about plastic warhounds is because I like the look of the model and I thought that plastic one would be easier to build than the resin one ( also FW model is quite expensive). So it sounds that plastic warhounds are not in the near future or never.

Badger Mek
19-01-2010, 19:32
Don't forget:
Orks? Stolen Baneblade
Demons? Possessed Baneblade
Necrons? Scarab-controlled Baneblade
Space Marines? Secret Marine Baneblade
SoB/GK? Inducted Baneblade

And:
Termagants getting smashed on Buckfast, hotwiring the Baneblade and going for a gribbly joy rumble before they crash it into a Carnifex.

Lyonator
19-01-2010, 20:12
The Nids can just have Jones take one for a spin, done and done!

static grass
19-01-2010, 20:29
Agreeing with Bookwrak here. As much as the stompa is cool, it was also the simplest option for the next kit. Plus it would give the Baneblade something to shoot at. There is no way they anticipated massive sales of the stompa compared to the Baneblade.

The thunderhawk however is much larger than either kit and so probably scared them off initially. But given marines are the most popular list then releasing this is almost a certainty.

The warhound is even more complex still. Will it ever come? Probably. The T-hawk will probably sell quite well. I would assume that good sales from the T-hawk will be the green light for the warhound.

The main issue with the warhound will be the complexity of the mold. Then it falls on us to assemble it.

rabblerouser
19-01-2010, 20:51
I think a thunderhawk is most likely. A significant fraction of all people in this hobby have marine armies, and in informal polls about 1/2 - 2/3 of those gamers say they would buy a thunderhawk at a $200 price point.

A plastic warhound would be awesome, but I doubt such a kit will come out any time soon.

Bookwrak
19-01-2010, 21:40
Of course the question is could they do it for $200? A big part of the equation behind releasing a big model would be 'how much do they cost to make and how many can we expect to sell?' IIRC, what delayed the Stompa release was that GW was having trouble with how many sprues the kit was requiring. Relatively speaking, plastic injection molds are tremendously expensive and so for the very big kits, too many sprues means production costs will drag the price way up. If it costs so much to make that at the end of the day, they are making only $5 or so in profit on something that probably took well more than $100,000 to put into production, then it's not a good idea to pursue. While I'm sure they would sell a lot of Thunderhawks, how long would it take to move 20,000? (all numbers are for example purposes only :P )

Putting a big kit into production will require a big investment, and you want to charge a price that will recoup that investment as fast as possible, and appeal to as many buyers as possible (so you can see one reason why GW pushed the baneblade kit as being so versatileh).

andyg2006
19-01-2010, 22:03
Plus....like when GW hoiked up the price of metals (fakely) claiming that metal model prices went up sharply because the cost of the base metal had gone up by a similar amount, then shouted about "but we're doing more plastic stuff anyway" (whilst whispering "...but plastic stuff won't be any less expensive than the metal models")...by the time they do a plastic Warhound Titan, it'll end up costing about the same as a resin one does now anyway.
My advice = work out how/if you can afford a resin one at today's cost (e.g. if you saved per month over x months) and keep saving: if they do a plastic one by then, you'll have the money put aside; if they're still only resin versions, you'll still have the money put aside.

rabblerouser
20-01-2010, 01:08
Of course the question is could they do it for $200? A big part of the equation behind releasing a big model would be 'how much do they cost to make and how many can we expect to sell?' IIRC, what delayed the Stompa release was that GW was having trouble with how many sprues the kit was requiring. Relatively speaking, plastic injection molds are tremendously expensive and so for the very big kits, too many sprues means production costs will drag the price way up. If it costs so much to make that at the end of the day, they are making only $5 or so in profit on something that probably took well more than $100,000 to put into production, then it's not a good idea to pursue. While I'm sure they would sell a lot of Thunderhawks, how long would it take to move 20,000? (all numbers are for example purposes only :P )

Putting a big kit into production will require a big investment, and you want to charge a price that will recoup that investment as fast as possible, and appeal to as many buyers as possible (so you can see one reason why GW pushed the baneblade kit as being so versatileh).

There is not a doubt in my mind that GW could do it for $200. Actually they can produce is for substantially less and still make money but $200 would be in line with their current pricing. The baneblade was the most complex kit they produced to date when it came out and it was successful enough that they produced several variants - and that was an imperial guard tank. Lets not forget that GW has already produced a metal thunderhawk that sold out promptly, and that it was one of the first superheavies FW put out. Considering the overwhelming number of marine players (after all tactical squads outsell all the available units for some armies combined) the decision build a thunderhawk is very straight forward.

All the naysayers really don't have a leg to stand on; the technology to produce the kit and the demand are there.

starlight
20-01-2010, 01:29

Yes. Get a Baneblade and have fun.

Basically, they are doing it, save your pennies, but don't be playing fast and loose with your rent/food/car payments...after all, it's just a toy.

zetaplus
20-01-2010, 01:32
If they bring out a plastic Thunderhawk or Warhound I will literally wet myself. I have a FW Warhound and Reaver but the more superheavies the merrier!