PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used the West Wind Dwarf Wars miniatures?

bluekitsune13
17-01-2010, 01:36
http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?infoBox=3&cPath=1

They have miniatures for Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, and Goblins. I was wondering if anybody has bought them before, and could comment on how they measure up with the GW models. I'm most interested in the Dwarves, since they look a lot more dynamic than the mostly static GW ones. Also I think the Orcs and Goblins look nice as well, but how well would they integrate with the current models?

Red Metal
17-01-2010, 01:57
They're the right scale (size) and design, though some of them look kind of goofy - like the Orcs and Dwarves.

I would think they should mix in pretty well.

TheMav80
17-01-2010, 03:20
Their Dwarves look way better than GW ones. Plus they have some Chaos Dwarf looking guys too.

bigcheese76
17-01-2010, 10:46
I havent actually used these guys before but after a quick look at the Dwarves on their website I think my Dwarf army is ready for an expansion.

Angry Lawyer
17-01-2010, 11:06
I've got some of the elven axemen, and they're a little taller, but they'll still mix in well.

-Angry Lawyer

The Red Scourge
17-01-2010, 12:22
I like the 'good elves'. No need for fancy fluff, they're just your good ol' good elf :D

Angry Lawyer
17-01-2010, 12:24
Yeah, I like that fact. Gives you the opportunity to field White Lion-esque troops without them coming from Chrace, or non-Saphery swordmasters.

-Angry Lawyer

Shazarn
17-01-2010, 13:09
The axe dwarves look perfect for my slayer cult, I wonder if I'd be shot if I used them in a store, hehe

Razakel
17-01-2010, 13:40
The axe dwarves look perfect for my slayer cult, I wonder if I'd be shot if I used them in a store, hehe

Theres a simple trick for this, say one of your relatives who knows nothing about Warhammer got them for you. Works like a charm.

EmperorNorton
17-01-2010, 13:47
I got a bunch of their Highland Dwarves, because I liked the style, but I can't say that I'm a fan. The sculpts aren't very good, the proportions are a bit off and the details are fairly underwhelming.

Shazarn
17-01-2010, 14:32
Theres a simple trick for this, say one of your relatives who knows nothing about Warhammer got them for you. Works like a charm.

Oh my god that's so simple yet perfect

@emperornorton given the site says 25 to 28mm how far out of porportion for warhammer 20mm ones, as in when a model is built and from an eyeball perspective

mr.kislev
18-01-2010, 07:23
warhammer is not in 20 mm scale. it is in 28 mm heroic. ( which means things like the weapons and hands are bigger)

Shazarn
18-01-2010, 08:02
warhammer is not in 20 mm scale. it is in 28 mm heroic. ( which means things like the weapons and hands are bigger)

Sorry for the confusion, ill clarify
the models on a 20mm base and their proportion to the base (ie. do they look over sized on a 20mm base or under sized etc..), as opposed to construction scale

mr.kislev
18-01-2010, 08:18
Sorry for the confusion, ill clarify
the models on a 20mm base and their proportion to the base (ie. do they look over sized on a 20mm base or under sized etc..), as opposed to construction scale

oh thats what you meant

Shazarn
18-01-2010, 08:24
Aye, at 2 in the morning, my English deteriorates quite severely lol

Darwin_green
18-01-2010, 21:33
yeah, the West wind dwarfs are pretty beefy. they're as tall as regular humans, but twice as wide.

the dwarfs come on 25mm bases.

Shazarn
18-01-2010, 22:45
Thanks for that Darwin, just what i was looking for!
Think ill hold off then

sulla
19-01-2010, 08:28
I like the dwarves and humans but the elves looks like the earliest citadel elf models to me.... nowhere near the quality of the modern stuff.

Sand
19-01-2010, 10:10
yeah, the West wind dwarfs are pretty beefy. they're as tall as regular humans, but twice as wide.

the dwarfs come on 25mm bases.
Ah, darn it! I just saw them in this thread and was considering them fro my Slayers :(

lord ugwart
19-01-2010, 11:59
I'm kind of divided on them. Some of the characters look quite nice, as do the Iron guard, they would make great alternative Iron breakers. The dwarf cavalry riding the pigs are quite bizarre and models riding wolves don't exactly fit the warhammer fluff.
The dwarves riding the rams look far better though, slayer cavalry anyone?
Didn't think so!

Lord Malorne
19-01-2010, 12:05
DoW cavalry anyone?
Do think so!

Gillburg
27-01-2010, 04:27
I bought a war mammoth...... Its bloody huge. Can't use it in games.

snurl
27-01-2010, 05:19
I have the mammoth, the Highlanders, the "roman legion" and the Dwarves with axes and swords,+ some of the caracters. I like them a lot.

Yes, they come with 25mm bases, but I was able to rebase them on 20mm with a little bit of cutting down on the slot at their feet.

Their boxed sets of dwarves with swords and axes have no duplicate poses in either. Thats 20 poses per box!

I made up some Mammoth rules and have used it in home games. Just look at the LOTR mammoth rules and remember that they are afraid of mice (skaven).
As long as your opponent doesn't mind then use it. And you may as well name it "target".

Overall they are a slight bit bigger than the average older GW dwarf, but are just about the same as a plastic one. Their feet are a bit smaller than GW's, but if you are really picky a bit of greenstuff can fix that.

ChaosVC
27-01-2010, 07:56
They look very hairy and celtic. Good for shaving! Thanks for the link, I didn't know people can reinvent evil elves and call the, DEATH ELVES!!! I wish some company would have the courage to make EMO ELVES!

Shimmergloom
14-02-2010, 07:59
How the heck do you even order from this site?

I select checkout, it confirms shipping address, it says something about making sure you select continue after finishing your card payment, but nothing ever comes up for me to enter my credit card type or anything.

Sylass
28-05-2010, 18:36
*Invocation of Nehek*

Sorry for resurrecting this old topic (hey at least it's a thread from 2010! :p), but I was just looking at the West Wind Dwrafs again and wondered if anyone had a picture of a West Wind Dwarf next to a GW one? :)

Sadesuteku
29-05-2010, 06:10
Most of their models are merely alright, but I was impressed, and caught a little of guard by the Imperial Roman Dwarves.

the_dwarf
30-11-2014, 14:04
Their Dwarves look way better than GW ones. Plus they have some Chaos Dwarf looking guys too.

I know this is REALLY necroing, and I'm so sorry for this. But I'm a Chaos Dwarf in the heart, and I would like to ask you, sir, which one are those West Wind models, if you are so nice :)
Thank you so much!

TheRiverTrollKing
30-11-2014, 14:45
They're pretty good models at a decent price. I may actually buy some.
*turns to camera*
Do I get paid now?