PDA

View Full Version : Wild Riders construction

Shamutanti
17-01-2010, 20:19
Any advice by chance on how the hell to keep the Wild Rider's (Wood Elf Cav.) metal horse heads on?

There's no real 'meat' on the actual body as it is, plus no obvious place I can see to pin and I'm trying to avoid green stuff for a change (although I'm running out of ideas).

The riders themselves don't seem to want to bother sticking to the damn horses either (or to their bodies) but pinning seems to be solving that problem.

Thurizdan
17-01-2010, 23:13
I had to use greenstuff for the heads, sorry if you didn't wan't to hear that.

EdFireborn
18-01-2010, 08:51
I used superglue... it worked fine...

I didn't use GW superglue though, because its about 10x more expensive than stuff I can buy at the local supermarket and doesn't work as well.... If you have Selley's superglue, use that, it doesn't do any damage to the model and creates a good bond I have found.

Satan
18-01-2010, 09:02
I used superglue. I recommend trying bonding glue though if you have it. I use for alot of rackham models.

The Red Scourge
18-01-2010, 09:13
Superglue :)

Though I agree that GWs own superglue is about as effective as destilled water :p

Shamutanti
18-01-2010, 10:10
Ended up using greenstuff in the end - was using GWs and simply wasn't holding the heads in place. The slightest knock (as in, even another model tapping against it) was causing it to fall off even when I tried to maximize part to part coverage to form a bond.

Cheers for za input anyway chaps!

Gammalfarmor
18-01-2010, 17:20
GWs superglue isnt really the best glue on the market :P

Jormi_Boced
18-01-2010, 17:46
I left the metal nub on the bootom of teh neck on and used it kind of like a pin into the neck.

Red Metal
18-01-2010, 21:21
I left the metal nub on the bootom of teh neck on and used it kind of like a pin into the neck.

That works. Or scratching the surface of each area with a file usually helps. It makes for small indented areas for the glue to set it.

Thurizdan
19-01-2010, 03:13
If you're stuck trying to glue something with a bit of a gap, sometimes you can use PVA glue (wood glue) which takes a long time to dry but has a lot more surface area/points of contact than superglue and forms a less brittle bond. You have to sit it just right though so it doesn't fall apart when drying, use clamps where possible.