PDA

View Full Version : WPS Comp System

:-Collinisimo-:
17-01-2010, 21:48
I'm about to enter a tournament with the WPS comp system, and I was wondering on what people think about this comp system. Is it better to bring a higher comp score yet very soft list, or a hard list with a very low comp score? Or in between them? What comp scores do you guys shoot for?

Skyth
17-01-2010, 22:02
It really depends on how much comp is part of the scoring of the overall tourney and what I feel like playing that day.

Oh, and I REALLY like the WPS system...Best system I've found.

Unuhexium
17-01-2010, 22:31
This is more of a tactics thread than rules.

Anyway, I haven't attended any tournaments... yet, but my group use WPS comp to level the playing field a bit. We generally set fcomp 15 as minimum and take as hard lists as possible within that. My philosophy is that if you annihilate the opposing army, it won't really matter that he had comp 25 while you had 15. With a softer list you might cinch a few sportsmanship points though.

Ps. I agree with Skyth. It is indeed an awesome system for creating balance.

18-01-2010, 02:27
The tournament I am going to factors in the comp greatly to the actual overall scoring for the tournament. You take you comp and divide it by 200, then add that number to your overall tournament score. Your comp score also desides how many points you can get in each game, if you have comp of 2000 or less, you can only get 5 points for winning, but if you have a comp of 4000 or greater you can get 8.

xragg
18-01-2010, 03:14
The main problem with the comp system is that it doesnt normalize the points to what points are earned for a game win. Is this system based on a 3 rnd tourney with 20/0 17/3 13/7 10/10 scores and battle points? I assume it probally is, but it doesnt mention that at all.

I would hate to go to every tourney having to use a comp system, but I wouldnt mind it as a change of pace. 2250 standard every other, then throw in variants like: 1999 no named, 1500 partners, 2250 comp*

stripsteak
18-01-2010, 03:29
just out of curiosity is there a link to the comp system?

Falkman
18-01-2010, 03:30
If the comp directly affects the amount of points you get from your games, I'd say it's worth going with a high-comping list.
If all the comp does is add the score at the end of the tournament, high comp isn't worth it, generally.
Last big tournaments here in Sweden gave +75 vp per comp point difference between the armies in a game, so high comp armies were the way to go there.

strip: Been up for discussion loads of times in General, usually with people whining about not being able to take their superhard lists :p
Link is here anyway (at least for the version we use in Sweden): http://atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf

xragg
18-01-2010, 04:19
Last big tournaments here in Sweden gave +75 vp per comp point difference between the armies in a game, so high comp armies were the way to go there.

I like this better then just awarding what probally works out to a free win to high comp armies. So 75pt per difference worked well? Or would you adjust it up/down?

Falkman
18-01-2010, 05:12
The first tournament that used it used both the +vp and also added your comp to your total score at the end.
That was a bit too much so the following tournaments just used the +vp bit and it seems to have worked well.
Also they used a more extensive battle point score than just 20/0, 17/3, 13/7, 10/10.
They had one for every step (so 20/0, 19/1, 18/2 etc).

Condottiere
18-01-2010, 05:12
I find it amusing that adding the Birdmen grants you an additional 200 points.

xragg
18-01-2010, 05:22
The first tournament that used it used both the +vp and also added your comp to your total score at the end.
That was a bit too much so the following tournaments just used the +vp bit and it seems to have worked well.
Also they used a more extensive battle point score than just 20/0, 17/3, 13/7, 10/10.
They had one for every step (so 20/0, 19/1, 18/2 etc).

The rulebook only breaksdown battles into massacres, solids, minors, and draws. How do you determine what 20/0 is? 19/1 is? etc? Unless you take the pts needed for a massacre, divide by 10, and use that for each division. Just guessing, let me know.

Falkman
18-01-2010, 06:12
We don't use the rulebook charts, easy as that. People have made some custom VP scoreboards, like this one: http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p180/laserpojken/VP-tabell.jpg

I find it amusing that adding the Birdmen grants you an additional 200 points.
How come?
They're not a very good unit, so they give you bonus comp score, like most bad units do.

18-01-2010, 15:32
For those who asked, the link to the comp system is here (atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf) (will download pdf).

Other information on the tournament:

Comp Score...........................Battle Points (W/D/L)

2000 or less.............................5/2/0
2999 or less.............................6/3/0
4000 or less.............................7/3/0
4001 or greater.........................8/4/1

You do not however divide your comp score by 200, I was mistaken.

So my question still stands - would it be better to have a hard list with a low comp score, or a soft list with a high comp score? Or somewhere in between?

Falkman
18-01-2010, 15:48
Very strange system, probably not at all what was intended when making the comp, so I'm not sure how balanced it will be.
That said, it looks like 4001+ is the way to go, you get almost as much for a draw as a -2000 get for a win then.
Then again, if you actually allow such a wide span of comp then the 4001+ will probably have a hard time winning against VC, Daemons and DE at below 2000, meaning that bonus do nothing then.

Skyth
18-01-2010, 15:52
In this case, you want to go soft...If a hard army faces an equal army, they still get less points than a soft army fighting an equally soft army. So you statistically better off going with a softer army.

Unuhexium
18-01-2010, 18:05
The +comp score version seems to favour soft lists and the +vp seems to favour hard ones. I'd say go for a soft list in this case since you use the +comp score version.

VC Billy
18-01-2010, 18:13
Any idea when the new Skaven will be reassessed by the WPS system?

xragg
18-01-2010, 18:23
For those who asked, the link to the comp system is here (atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf) (will download pdf).

Other information on the tournament:

Comp Score...........................Battle Points (W/D/L)

2000 or less.............................5/2/0
2999 or less.............................6/3/0
4000 or less.............................7/3/0
4001 or greater.........................8/4/1

You do not however divide your comp score by 200, I was mistaken.

So my question still stands - would it be better to have a hard list with a low comp score, or a soft list with a high comp score? Or somewhere in between?

It would really depend on your groups metagame. Assuming a lower score will generally beat a high comp score, then: If all or most of your opponents bring a high comp score, then you MUST bring a high comp score also. If you dont, you have a good chance that you might see a 4001 army with 16pts after the 2nd round, eliminating any chance of 2000 armies to catch them. I would aim for a 4000 or 4001 army that is capable of pulling a draw if it does have to face a 2000 army.

Unuhexium
18-01-2010, 18:25
I've talked to the guys who write the comp and they said they need a few tournaments under their belt before anything will be released. In the meantime me and a friend wrote one ourselves. Probably a bit too friendly, but it's something.

Falkman
18-01-2010, 19:45
Any idea when the new Skaven will be reassessed by the WPS system?
This is a temporary comp list made so people could use Skaven in recent tournaments, it's still being playtested so is subject to changes.

http://atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/Skaven_Komp_divided_Tillf%e4llig.pdf