PDA

View Full Version : Selling "new" players - Advise?

dragonlancr
18-01-2010, 17:16
Ok,

A little back story about me. I play 1 to 2 games of Warhammer a year. (Not by choice!) I live in Nashville and there aren't a lot of gamers here. I typically travel to Atlanta to play with friends around January, but other than that I spend my time painting/modeling (which I love) and hanging out on Warseer and enjoying the battle reports vicariously. :D

But, I have two friends up here where I live that I want to try to get into Warhammer. They are both nerds at heart, so initially I thought it would be a pretty easy sell, but the times I've mentioned the game around each of them respectively, they have shown no emotion.

What do you think the best way is to show them the game? I am thinking about just having the entire board set up with minis, terrain, dice, the whole nine yards, and inviting them over and forcing them to play. Cause in the past I've mentioned it, they didn't seem very interested, but its a complex game to try and explain to someone who knows NOTHING.

Does anyone have any advise bringing completely new players to the game?

Jind_Singh
18-01-2010, 17:23
yah - do a demo game with them.
Set up 500 pts a side, your essentially running the game.
Keep it simple, fast, and furious!

Dont get caught up by the rules, afterall they wont remember what they did afterwards anyway, the aim is to keep the game constantly flowing.

Be passionate when your the MC (master of cermonines!!), and a good tip is to set the 2 armies up about 8" apart - so they can charge in turn 1 (remember, we want ACTION!).

The demo game should last about 30 minutes MAX - you want them to think its peice of cake, and get them to roll dice.

Try not to have any magic in the demo, but do include some things that can shoot and for sure we need combat, no magic items though.

Try it - it works like a charm (I'm an ex-staff member who ran more demos than all the other 3 staff put together!), and its just a great way to get them into the hobby.

Goes without saying, use your painted minis, and just make it look cool and fun - normally there was an abjective to the game, ie the dwarves had to capture their tied up slayer, the gobbos had to keep away from the tied up slayer, but use any suitable objective counters.

Hope that helps

The Red Scourge
18-01-2010, 17:35
Or if you're into rpgs, then sell them the fluff by running a WFRPG campaign - thats how I sold the idea to myself :)

dragonlancr
18-01-2010, 18:52
Jind, thank you for the great advice! It makes sense to make the game that way yet I had never thought of it that way. I kept thinking, "Ok, 2000 point lists - make them balances, etc etc."

Red Scourge - Thank you as well, but I am not quite sure how each of these two prospective players would take the "fluff" yet. They are both star trek guys, so if this doesn't work out I am going to show them Space Hulk.

By the way, I LOVE the Gotrek series - what is wrong with you!? ;)

Malorian
18-01-2010, 18:58
Have everything setup but don't force them to play.

If the site of the painted models, painted terrain, dice, and army books aren't enough to draw them in then nothing will.

olberon
18-01-2010, 19:00
yah - do a demo game with them.
Set up 500 pts a side, your essentially running the game.
Keep it simple, fast, and furious!

Dont get caught up by the rules, afterall they wont remember what they did afterwards anyway, the aim is to keep the game constantly flowing.

Be passionate when your the MC (master of cermonines!!), and a good tip is to set the 2 armies up about 8" apart - so they can charge in turn 1 (remember, we want ACTION!).

The demo game should last about 30 minutes MAX - you want them to think its peice of cake, and get them to roll dice.

Try not to have any magic in the demo, but do include some things that can shoot and for sure we need combat, no magic items though.

Try it - it works like a charm (I'm an ex-staff member who ran more demos than all the other 3 staff put together!), and its just a great way to get them into the hobby.

Goes without saying, use your painted minis, and just make it look cool and fun - normally there was an abjective to the game, ie the dwarves had to capture their tied up slayer, the gobbos had to keep away from the tied up slayer, but use any suitable objective counters.

Hope that helps

lol... that's how blue shirts do it ... works like a charm

The Red Scourge
18-01-2010, 19:02
By the way, I LOVE the Gotrek series - what is wrong with you!? ;)

Nothing wrong with me, thank you very much. You on the other hand, I'm not so sure :p

Red Metal
18-01-2010, 19:24
I would sell them on whatever type of aspect most appeals to them. If they like fluff and story, try to sell them on that. Maybe it's minis themselves that might attract them. Or maybe a complex rules system. Everyone is different, so try identify what it is they like about the other RPG/gaming and then see if there is something similiar in WFB to draw from.

And, I hate to say it, but if they like Star Trek, they might like 40K or maybe Battlefleet Gothic...

Condottiere
18-01-2010, 19:35
The RPG approach is always a good avenue, because sometimes players want to visualize all those grand battles three dimensionally, not just in their minds.

ChaosVC
19-01-2010, 01:23
Well what you plan seems to be the only viable option to try to introduce them into fantasy. Set up the terrian and make it look as pretty as possible and two small armies, brief them about the phases and prepare chart reference and let them play agaisnt each other as you guide them along. That is the best you can do the rest is up to them really. As far as I know, warhammer is a love in first sight for most people who actually wanted to start the hobby.

Roguebaron
19-01-2010, 01:34
You could also find a copy of the skirmish rules, they should still be around online somewhere, and have a fun 100-200 point game. I always had fun with a few characters hunting the troll story line for a more rpg feel, lets them play with whatever figures they think look interesting. There is a back issue of citadel journal (sorry I have no idea which one but I'm sure someone here does) that has some really fun chariot racing rules so you can do the old ben hur type game. just keep it light and supply lots of appropriate beverages and you'll be fine : )

enyoss
19-01-2010, 01:36
I reckon you're better off looking for opponents a different way, maybe through a local club or an online forum.

I've been party to a WHFB `convert drive' against some unbelievers and it was the most excruciating experience I've ever had to witness. Ever. Needless to say, it didn't work!

If it's not their thing then there's not much you can do really.

someone2040
19-01-2010, 01:55
To be honest, if they haven't shown any interest in it... possibly not best to push them. Nerds come in a variety of colours. Being a nerd doesn't necessarily mean they have any interest in the miniatures.

I'd say you'd be more likely to catch their interest by having them around when you're playing a game against someone else (Not forcing them to hang around though). As you know, they see your miniatures, start asking questions about why X unit just got removed, etc. Guage their interest, offer to run a demo game for them if they look interested in it.

But don't force them to do something they're not all that into.

tezdal
19-01-2010, 04:45
Dont inform them of GW's prices till after their hooked.

Archdaimon
19-01-2010, 04:55
You can, if you are skilled, convince or pursuade almost any one of any thing.
However they might already be tipped of the quite steep prices for playing a miniature game like this.

Do they even care about fantasy? maybe 40k is a better introduktion, for all of you at the same time?!

Penitent Engine
19-01-2010, 05:01
I managed to convert several of my friends to Warhammer (not all Fantasy, though). The trick seems to be playing it around them, doesn't have to be with them, and answer any and all questions honestly and seriously.
Having a contrast of armies, or the rulebook, nearby certainly helps so that they can get a feel for the different races and see if there's one they like.

Nephilim of Sin
19-01-2010, 06:22
Ok,

A little back story about me. I play 1 to 2 games of Warhammer a year. (Not by choice!) I live in Nashville and there aren't a lot of gamers here. I typically travel to Atlanta to play with friends around January, but other than that I spend my time painting/modeling (which I love) and hanging out on Warseer and enjoying the battle reports vicariously. :D

But, I have two friends up here where I live that I want to try to get into Warhammer. They are both nerds at heart, so initially I thought it would be a pretty easy sell, but the times I've mentioned the game around each of them respectively, they have shown no emotion.

What do you think the best way is to show them the game? I am thinking about just having the entire board set up with minis, terrain, dice, the whole nine yards, and inviting them over and forcing them to play. Cause in the past I've mentioned it, they didn't seem very interested, but its a complex game to try and explain to someone who knows NOTHING.

Does anyone have any advise bringing completely new players to the game?

Similar to what the Red Scourge said, do they play anything fantasy related? I actually got a few friends into the hobby through AD&D. After a few select 'large' battles with my minis, the players actually became interested in where the miniatures came from. It was easy from there.

The same could be done with other games they may be interested in, say M:TG. Instead of using horrible beads or horrible cards in place of tokens, start using minis. Eventually, the idea behind where these minis come from may take effect.

Condottiere
19-01-2010, 07:02
The term gateway drug comes to mind.

How you would hook them does depend on what their current preferences are, and admittingly is somewhat manipulative.

ChaosVC
19-01-2010, 08:34
Or you can teach them to play with action figures from Dragon Ballz?!....of course I am not refering to the blasphemous one made by hollywood...