PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Imperial Guard in 'Avatar'

Marus
18-01-2010, 20:58
Don't worry, no spoilers in this post.

Towards the end of the Avatar movie I became rather giddy. Part of the big battle scene showed humans with rifles and flamethrowers advancing through a dense jungle against an alien force. They were supported by air-borne gunships, small and large, and had bi-pedal mechanised units advancing with them. They even had a Straken analog and a Harker-like character. Being the geek that I am I saw this as a teaser/trailer for a Catachan movie.

Perhaps the N'avi were Eldar, they being tall, lithe, graceful, pointy-eared and not shying away from a good charge.

Here's hoping that should an Imperial Guard-focused movie ever be made it will be just a visually stunning (with perhaps a slightly more original storyline).

Mr Zoat
18-01-2010, 22:14
Na'vi are more like Kroot. Exodites aren't quite that primitive.

jason_sation
18-01-2010, 22:17

Sexy Kroot

Kyle_RFC
18-01-2010, 22:48
Lol I see what you mean, and all that stuff about planet wide hive consciousness thing, smells vaguely of tyranid:o

Mr Zoat
18-01-2010, 22:56
Sexy Kroot

You don't find regular Kroot sexy? Eh, takes all sorts I suppose. (http://eatatau.smackjeeves.com/comics/745842/008-or-im-telling-it/)

The plugging in thing is more Exoditie, as it mirrors their World Spirit.

Marus
18-01-2010, 23:08
Avatar II will have some rogue traders raiding the planet for the ore. Then, eventually, the black ships will show up and virus-bomb the entire planet.

Or, better yet, after what the humans do to the planet a warp rift is opened. Chaos Na'vi!

noobzilla
18-01-2010, 23:37
Or, better yet, after what the humans do to the planet a warp rift is opened. Chaos Na'vi!

This... is... win.

onidemon
18-01-2010, 23:45
Yay! I'm glad someone else was put in a wargaming mind by Avatar!

I really expected after seeing this film I'd see people musing about Exodite Eldar, or modifying old Starship Troopers Ape suits into "AMP" sentinels. Instead, all I see is "blah-blah poor characterization, blah blah Dances With Wolves".

So, yeah, I guess it is like Dances with Wolves... where heavily scarred commandos in Heavy Gears have knife fights with wood elves! Common' people!

But, being more constructive, I am hoping to shamelessly crib Pandora for a narrative campaign with a friend. Eldar will playing the Na'vi role, trying to protect a forest shrine world, and its relic exodite world spirit. For the role of the resource hungry villains I intend to play Tyranid, as it really does fit their character more shamelessly. I'm going to set up a Mighty Kingdom's board for the planet, and as the Nid's take over sectors, we replace those hexes with sandy desert panels, representing the ripper swarms consuming the forest as they spread across the planet.

Should I ever actually get to doing it, I'll have to post some pictures in the terrain board.

Lord_Crull
19-01-2010, 01:01

Towards the end of the Avatar movie I became rather giddy. Part of the big battle scene showed humans with rifles and flamethrowers advancing through a dense jungle against an alien force. They were supported by air-borne gunships, small and large, and had bi-pedal mechanised units advancing with them. They even had a Straken analog and a Harker-like character. Being the geek that I am I saw this as a teaser/trailer for a Catachan movie.

Perhaps the N'avi were Eldar, they being tall, lithe, graceful, pointy-eared and not shying away from a good charge.

Here's hoping that should an Imperial Guard-focused movie ever be made it will be just a visually stunning (with perhaps a slightly more original storyline).

Already sort of did this.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5645599/1/Invasion_of_Pandora

Kyle_RFC
19-01-2010, 01:11
@ onidemon I like the sound of that campaign, the resources drain is a good idea

chromedog
19-01-2010, 01:37
The rampaging resource hungry horde can be represented by an Adeptus Mechanicus mining team (with their own IG force - the AM DO have their own armed forces for defending their property).

I thought of kroot as the Na'vi (There are quite a few side-branch and evolutionary dead-end kroot-creatures mentioned already. What's a few more. Greater kroothawk, etc).

Archangel_Ruined
19-01-2010, 09:52
Who didn't have time to think about their hobbies during that film? It was unutterably poor, both in plot and acting talent, but so jaw dropping to look at I somehow sat through the entire thing. Why Cameron must persist in making poorly thought out, overly long films is a mystery to me, really, but that whole 3d thing works. Dreadnought conversions anyone?

Jagged
19-01-2010, 13:57

I took them as like the Eldar, they even have a wraithbone equivalent and store the experience of the dead in a big planetary network!

This is obviously a primative off-shoot, probably from some clan that decided to get back to nature (happens all the time). And remember this would be before the creation of Slannash (sp?) when most still live on planets.

The mon'kees are going to come back with more soldiers only for a big Na'vi space ship (shaped like a tree) to drop out of warp and spank them again. After all there is plenty of indication of past technology. The stone round the world mind didn't look natural and what are the chances that all the useful animals just happened to have a universal jump port in the back of their heads and weren't genetically engineered by a highly advanced race?

ps: The plot was great. Not new at all, its an old story. But still classic.

Xenofobulus
19-01-2010, 14:27
One Link:http://ultramarinesthemovieblog.com/

Corax
19-01-2010, 19:33
Avatar was pure Kroot vs. Catachans jungle warfare smackdown. Hell, I almost want to do a Catachan army and have it led by Col. Qaurich! Then all I have to do is convince my mate to repaint his Kroot blue...

Chiron
19-01-2010, 22:24
The scorpion gunship model is begging to be used in 40k

http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/files/2009/07/avatar-scorpion-gunship.jpg

Arbedark
19-01-2010, 23:08
The scorpion gunship model is begging to be used in 40k

http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/files/2009/07/avatar-scorpion-gunship.jpg

Looks like it'll be a little too big with "a cockpit that accommodates nearly all of the 3.75″ figurines in the collection" according to: http://www.gadgetgrid.com/2009/12/02/avatars-scorpion-gunship-now-available-in-toy-form/

Latro_
19-01-2010, 23:34
bah N'avi = early Tau :P

If you want a film to wet ye 40k IG whistle esp in the current climate, may i suggest Starship Troopers

Cromwell Haarlock-Leth
19-01-2010, 23:54
But, being more constructive, I am hoping to shamelessly crib Pandora for a narrative campaign with a friend. Eldar will playing the Na'vi role, trying to protect a forest shrine world, and its relic exodite world spirit. For the role of the resource hungry villains I intend to play Tyranid, as it really does fit their character more shamelessly. I'm going to set up a Mighty Kingdom's board for the planet, and as the Nid's take over sectors, we replace those hexes with sandy desert panels, representing the ripper swarms consuming the forest as they spread across the planet.

For the villains, I'd rather agree with Chromedog: the AdMech and their Skitarii + the Imperial Guard would be perfect. Humanity is a very good predator.
But a Rogue Trader, with mercenaries, backed by the Admech would be alright too.
That can be a quiet interesting chapter of a Rogue Trader RPG campaign (and I'm preparing one by now), with a few big skirmishes and the climax battle being fought using WH40K rules.
Thanks a lot for the idea.

Griffindale
20-01-2010, 00:00
I think the whole world network of the Na'vi is more like the eldar. Hmmm how about some blue eldar!

Marus
22-01-2010, 21:44
This... is... win.

You flatter me.

As for blue Eldar, to be honest that is how I've always imagined them. I know they are officially depicted as having coloring similar to terrans.

Mr Zoat
22-01-2010, 22:36
Blue? I hope Goto isn't reading this.

Gutzmek
23-01-2010, 04:58
WARNING!!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS/AIMLESS RANTING AHEAD

Anyway, the planet is more like a Nid hive mind, made out the gestalt consciousness of the planets trees and its animals memories.

when I watched this movie all I could think about was 40k! For starters in the theater I watched the movie in, one of the "trailers" before the movie was a National Guard commercial that, if you squint, looked like something that would see on a pictslate in 40k. Operatic music was blaring as guardsmen were charging through quarries and ruined towns. No offense to anyone in the National Guard but the commercial made you want to cry,"for the Emperor". Got me in a 40k kind of mind.

The movie itself? Administratum designate the Deathworld Pandora as a potential mining colony, but find the local xenos to be hostile. Ex Guard mercenaries are called on to defend against/eradicate the threat if it grows. Results in them having to cleans the world of the xeno threat (With Fire!) after a ex-guard, a rogue genetor , and there cohorts incite the locals into defending there planet.
The mercenaries use Vendettas(Scorpions) as gunships/troop transports, fight in gun lines, and make use of Sentinels in the dense forest terrain. They are out maneuvered and defeated by the xenos, the mercenary leader dies in a suitable "Video game, multi-stage final boss fight", manner (Scream with me,"GiantRobotBootKnife! But HOW?!":D), and the administratum and the remaining mercenaries are forced off the planet.

Five minutes after the credits roll, the planet virus bombed to barren fields of glass and the administrotum makes plans to re-establish a mining colony on the planet. The imperium did the same thing to a planet full of titan killing giant dinosaur riders (anyone else read that story?), what would keep them form killing giant, blue furries?

Thats the one thing that bothered me about the whole movie; they go through the pains of creating a believable, living alien planet, with species that look like that have evolved on the same planet, and then they place cat people on the planet. All animal species on Pandora have six limbs, chitinous plates, carbon fiber skeletons, and antennae to communicate with the hive mind. Were do F#$* cat people fit in there!
The only explanation is the planet is a Tyranid Hive Fleet that "went hippie" and spontaneously generated cat people:D.

Juggalo
23-01-2010, 05:50

Yes, and just like the Emperor's Hammer, they will come back with a bigger fleet, and nuke that alien scum from orbit, and then strip-mine all their pretty rocks.