PDA

View Full Version : When have the armies been released (year/month?)

Furrm
18-01-2010, 21:02
Hey,

I want so start Warhammer 40K. I got some miniatures a few years ago, but now I want to collect a big and well painted army.

My problem is: I want an army whose miniatures are up to date.
Why? I want to have my army all look the same, that's the reason why I will never buy and use the miniatures from the starter boxes for my army!
Maybe you think I'm idiot, but it's my mind who tells me what I want :)

Ok, I hope you can give me a list of all the 40K armies including their release date. For Example: Tyranids 16. January 2010. If you can only tell me the year, it's fine and will help me to chose my army.

I'm not talking about the Codizes! I'm talking about the miniatures!

Thanks for your help, and sorry if my english isn't the best.

LonelyPath
18-01-2010, 21:41
I don't think there is a single army that has all of its model range up to date as you might say. They all generally have a mixture of things ranging over the last 12 years (or more in some cases like Space Wolves and other Marines!).

chromedog
18-01-2010, 22:27
My marines range from 22 year old models to 2 year old models.
This is actually acceptable to marines, as their armour is a holy relic and the older marks are only gifted to the most deserving.

It's also fitting for chaos. After all, uniformity is so un-chaotic.

No single army has all of its models from the same period (SoB are 2nd ed and 3rd ed models).

Corrode
18-01-2010, 22:47
Bear in mind also that despite Tyranids being released on Saturday, some of the models are actually new, some are reboxed versions of models from 3rd or 4th (the current Gaunts were 3rd, right?), and GW is also working on a wave system at the moment which means that at any time some of the range might get updated. Really you're not going to find an army with a range that has its entire model range from a single release except Dark Eldar, and that's only because they've only had one release. (Before someone says BUT NECRONS, their current range is all-3rd but they had models before that and I'm assuming that there's someone out there who still uses them).

As a general idea though, the Space Marine range has had the same aesthetic since 3rd edition and everything in the current range looks good together. Orks are much the same if you avoid Wartraks/Warbuggies - everything else looks good together. The Eldar have had a pretty consistent look for ages too, and despite having some of the oldest models with the 2nd-edition Warlocks and I believe the Falcon, they also had a ton of pretty new things with 2006 and the army's visual style is pretty similar throughout.

Furrm
19-01-2010, 11:58
Ok thanks. I didn't know that.

I thought that for example all old Tyranid models got removed and replaced by the new ones.

Ok, with this information I got some more Armies I can chose from :)

Orcs, Tyranids, Tau, Chaos SM and Eldar.

My favourite is Eldar I think, but I'm a little bit afraid of painting them. I'm a total beginner...Same for Chaos SM because if I take them I'd like to paint them with NMM...
Maybe I should start with Orcs or Tyranids to learn some painting basics....

Thanks for your help