PDA

View Full Version : Who are these people?

bigcheese76
18-01-2010, 21:10
Hi Warseer.
A quick question. Who are the people in the picture?
http://bigcheese76.webs.com/photos/Chaos/Unknown.BMP
Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me. I just cant remember who they are.

xerxeshavelock
18-01-2010, 21:12
Sisters of Silence

Shhh....!

Edit - part of a really nice piece of artwork done in a frieze style. They were (I think) forerunners to the Sisters of Battle - before there was an Ecclesiarchy or Inquisition. They feature in the Horus Heresy books - hunting out creepy Warp stuff etc.

sigur
18-01-2010, 21:14
Something by these weird people who did this weird card game that pretended to have something to do with 40k I guess. :angel:

bigcheese76
18-01-2010, 21:18
Thanks for the super quick response.
Sigur, the picture is from Fantasy Flight Games who's main Warhammer product is Dark Heresy which is awesome.

Mecha King Ghidorah
18-01-2010, 21:27
Those would be Sisters of Silence.

dude37
18-01-2010, 21:41
They were (I think) forerunners to the Sisters of Battle - before there was an Ecclesiarchy or Inquisition. They feature in the Horus Heresy books - hunting out creepy Warp stuff etc.

so they're not around anymore?
if not then are the sisters of battle the ones on the black ships?

Mecha King Ghidorah
18-01-2010, 21:43
so they're not around anymore?
if not then are the sisters of battle the ones on the black ships?

Yeah it Sisters of Battle who act as the guards on black ships.

Ph4lanx
18-01-2010, 21:50
The Sisters of Silence were the militant arm of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica during the Great Crusade if my background books don't fail me (and my memory!).

They are all blanks (ie. Psychically blank) and because of that are used on the Black Ships to gather psykers for training/initiation/etc.

Sisters of Battle are not blanks, so I'm not too sure on them serving on the Black Ships.

A good source for this is the book Flight of the Eisenstein. There is a Sister of Silence in there called Amendera Kendel.

There's a few thoughts on them at present. There's nothing saying they were disbanded, so it's all possible that they still man the Black Ships themselves. Others believe that they were majorly hurt trying to keep the Emperor's secret project going, and that the remaining few joined the Inquisition when it started up in some capacity or other.

Alot of speculation basically. Personally I like the idea they still man the black ships myself.

Narf
18-01-2010, 22:53
one things for sure, the sisters of silence are not the sisters of battle, they are two seperate and distinct arms of the imperium, one founded by the emperor possibly, one founded by a traitor, but turned good in the end. (if i remember my fluff, should i use fluff when talking about sisters of battle/silence?)

Ph4lanx
18-01-2010, 23:01
one things for sure, the sisters of silence are not the sisters of battle, they are two seperate and distinct arms of the imperium, one founded by the emperor possibly, one founded by a traitor, but turned good in the end. (if i remember my fluff, should i use fluff when talking about sisters of battle/silence?)

That was when they were known as "Brides of the Emperor". When they spoke with the Emperor during the siege of the Ecclesiarchal Palace, they took the title "Daughters of the Emperor" once more (their original name). They were renamed the Sisters of Battle when they became a part of the Ordos Militant created by Ecclesiarch Alexis XXII.

Narf
19-01-2010, 16:42
aye but werent they formed by the mad lord of terra, cant remeber his name, but the one who caused the schism about M36?

massey
19-01-2010, 17:00
I think he just used them for sex. I didn't think he founded them.

pookie
19-01-2010, 17:23
the Sisters of Silence and teh SoB are too seperate forces, the SOS still crew the Blackships, and are the best equiped to do so.

Gorge Vandire was the cause of the M34 schism.

NightrawenII
19-01-2010, 20:59
I think he just used them for sex. I didn't think he founded them.
Because he havent found them. Sob were first "Daughters of Emperor" cult on some planet. Gore Vandire rename them "Brides of Emperor" and make them his private guard. They acted as his bodyguards, right arms, executioners, dancers, singers and other entertainment-makers (probably icluding fan-service;)).

Ph4lanx
19-01-2010, 21:02
:rolleyes: It's like my posts are invisible or something.

dblaz3r
19-01-2010, 21:21
Did anyone hear that? :p

Here's (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=98&esem=1) where that picture came from if you were interested.

andyg2006
19-01-2010, 21:22
Because he havent found them. Sob were first "Daughters of Emperor" cult on some planet. Gore Vandire rename them "Brides of Emperor" and make them his private guard. They acted as his bodyguards, right arms, executioners, dancers, singers and other entertainment-makers (probably icluding fan-service;)).

Yeah, don't mix these ladies up with the original Sisters of Silence:
SoS would serve up your decapitated head on a bed of your own diced heart so you can look at your finely-sliced sweetbreads with a side order of full-bodied Martian Merlot before you can say "So, Miss Ice Leopard: a vow of silence...tell me more about it. That's a nice power falchion...no, put it down...don't stick it into my chest...arrgggghhhh!"

:rolleyes: It's like my posts are invisible or something.

I know what you mean.

Inquisitor Engel
19-01-2010, 22:29
Yeah it Sisters of Battle who act as the guards on black ships.

Nope. Sisters of Silence still hold that job unless someone corrects me.

There's no point having a group of normal people on the ship, as Sisters of Battle would be pulverized by the tens of thousands of untrained psykers. Sisters of Silence just let it slide...

Being a psychic blank has its benefits.

Col. Tartleton
20-01-2010, 00:46
Yeah they can do the "Your jedi mind tricks won't work on me heretic" one liners. Sisters of battle would be more along the lines of "The Emperor's Holy Food-Souls are rebelling! Shoot something!" *Blam* *Blam* *Blam*

IcedAnimals
20-01-2010, 01:28
As far as I am aware from all recent fluff. Both sisters of battle and inquisitorial stormtroopers work on the black ships. It is highly possible that the Sisters of Silence still man the ships as well. But there are multiple sources of fluff where SoB are on the black ships.

I would love to see some further fluff on the sisters of silence. As other than the fact they were around during the heresy there is 10 thousand years of empty lore. Anything could have happened during that time period from "joining the inquisition" to "no longer around"

e2055261
20-01-2010, 01:51
Are you sure they weren't the Corrs at a gig? But the drummer was missing.

NightrawenII
20-01-2010, 12:41
In older fluff the SoB and IST guard Black Ships (codex:WH, Faith&Fire, Dark Heresy).
With the appearance of SoS in HH books, this is going to be retconned in (hopefuly) new C:WH.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-01-2010, 12:47
Yeah they can do the "Your jedi mind tricks won't work on me heretic" one liners.

Erm, no, they can't. ;) What a stupid vow.

the1stpip
20-01-2010, 17:06
The term you are looking for is Pariah.

Culexus Assassins and Necron Pariahs are the same, they have no signature in the warp.

And I reckon the Necrons must also have played with the Tau in the distant past, as they also seem to have no psychic presence.

Tiller5
20-01-2010, 17:40

Culexus Assassins and Necron Pariahs are the same, they have no signature in the warp.

And I reckon the Necrons must also have played with the Tau in the distant past, as they also seem to have no psychic presence.

Whilst you are correct, the Pariah gene has an additional effect in that it repulses and disgusts all other non-Pariahs, especially psychics. The Tau do not exhibit the same properties, so I don't think the Necrons had anything to do with them.

pookie
21-01-2010, 10:18

Whilst you are correct, the Pariah gene has an additional effect in that it repulses and disgusts all other non-Pariahs, especially psychics. The Tau do not exhibit the same properties, so I don't think the Necrons had anything to do with them.

and that the Necrons have only recently woken, the Tau have only been aorund since the HH so its very Doubtful.

Tommygun
21-01-2010, 10:35
Didn't the Sisters of Silence also have the ability to negate some psychic powers?

Noserenda
21-01-2010, 11:00
Untouchables come in different strengths, a lot like psykers. Pariahs is a more accurate term for the really powerful nulls who tend to be recruited as Culexus or Necron Pariahs.

And the Sisters of Silence dont seem to have survived the Heresy, Id assume most if not all were involved in the Battle for Earth/Webway and died, leaving little to go on and No Emperor to sponsor them, they probably got folded into the Inquisition and forgotten about.

the1stpip
21-01-2010, 13:27
In all honesty, I wasnt being serious about the Tau, but it is true that they dont register in the warp, so it is possible (although highly improbable).

massey
21-01-2010, 14:03
The Tau do register in the warp, just not much. There's a big difference between a Culexus, where being around one chills you to the bone because of the inherent "wrongness" of being around it, and a Tau, who just has virtually no psychic potential at all.

You know how sometimes, you think about a song you like, then you turn on the radio and it's playing right then? Or sometimes you think you need to call someone you know, just to check on them, and it turns out something bad has happened (Their wife/girlfriend just left them, grandma died, etc)? Tau don't do that. They don't have those moments of intuition. A Culexus radiates horror to anyone with any psychic ability at all. Even Tau can feel there's something wrong there.