PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Furies

jthdotcom
18-01-2010, 23:30
What is a cheaper alternative for furies? I'm doing mono slaanesh, will daemonettes with wings of some sort work?

xragg
19-01-2010, 02:35
It should. I debated the similar, except to use as harpies. I ended up just using GW's harpies as they arent as bad as people say and look really good if you do a nice paint job.

Thurizdan
19-01-2010, 03:22
There's a new rumour about plastic Harpies being on the horizon, hopefully this is truth.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-01-2010, 03:36
It should. I debated the similar, except to use as harpies. I ended up just using GW's harpies as they arent as bad as people say and look really good if you do a nice paint job.

Thankfully, opinion is still valid in the context of determining what looks good or bad. Those Harpies are disgusting, and if you paint an ugly lump of crap well, it'll simply be a beautifully painted ugly lump of crap.

I think Gamezone makes some really excellent looking harpy-like creatures.

Penitent Engine
19-01-2010, 04:16
Daemonettes with the new Nid Gargoyle wings from 40K?
Although I don't know how much cutting that would require.

xragg
19-01-2010, 05:30
The gamezone harpy really doesnt look much better other then she is "pretty" which isnt harpy-like (from what I can tell on their website). Is there only the 1 model? ...and what is hanging from her that connects her to the base?

Other then akward poses, (are they getting ready to attack, fly away, or just give you a big hug?) what is your main problem with their looks? I mean, we could go back in time and use the harpies I first time I had a dark elf army. Those looked more beast then elf. They didnt resemble elves at all other then having 2 arms and 2 legs. Its ok that you and others dont like them, but to call them utterly disgusting and crap is a bit extreme.

Here are my WIP harpies. I still havent set up appropriate lighting or a place to take good pics yet, but my bookshelf is better then nothing :) I still have to do their hair, jewelry, skirt, base and other details. I am also not sure if I like the green claws either.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
19-01-2010, 05:38
Its ok that you and others dont like them, but to call them utterly disgusting and crap is a bit extreme.

The faces are terribly sculpted and the boobs look like Pamela Anderson-plastic. I don't think it's extreme at all. I would never want to own these things, even if someone wanted to give them to me for free. And if someone did give them to me, I would wonder why that person hated me. They are awful.

The Gamezone harpies have at least 3 different poses that I remember. If you're not into pretty woman faced harpies, that's fine. I don't care so much that the faces are pretty, but that they look vaguely humanoid and not sculpted by a guy who has his first encounter with green stuff. Heck, that's what it would look like if I tried to make faces. I like the Gamezone ones because they are well sculpted from top to bottom.

gorenut
19-01-2010, 05:54
Look around and maybe you can find the old metal daemonettes for cheap on Ebay or bartertown. I prefer them over the plastic ones.