PDA

View Full Version : How to reassign my Red Terror?

Kriegschmidt
19-01-2010, 15:11
Greetings! So I've got my Tyranid collection down from the loft and am excitedly plotting world-devouring combinations of aliens, using my reasonably large collection of models and the new codex.

The only slight problem is: what to do with my "Red Terror" model? It's the only model that doesn't immediately fit something - for example, my Forge World Malanthrope will be appearing as a Venomthrope (I know it's too big and will get shot to pieces but it's a lovely model...). But what about the RT? I really don't want to pull it apart and would prefer not to convert it.

Have any of you come up with cunning ideas for using the Red Terror? "Counts as".... etc.

EDIT: Not a Ravener! (I already have 6....)

Muchas gracias! :)

P.S. Pic of the Red Terror attached. This is GW's paintjob btw, far better than mine....

Max Jet
19-01-2010, 15:14
I would love to see a Trygon sized Red Terror. The Mawloc is everything I wanted the Red Terror to be (perhaps better in close combat).
Unfortunately they design the uglylicious Mawloc instead of a large Red Terror head. As for the model use it as Ravener, this is sadly all the Codex allows you. Or perhaps as Warrior Prime in a fast attack oriented army.

AFnord
19-01-2010, 15:25
Either use it as a ravener, a twin talon hive tyrant or possibly a warrior prime. It's not a perfect fit for any of these, but it would most likely not be frowned upon either.

Grax
19-01-2010, 15:29
I turned mine into an awesome Lord of Change that doubles as a Keeper of Secrets in a pinch. I clipped the wings off of a D&D model and glued them to the back, but otherwise used the model as is.

If Chaos Daemons aren't your thing, it'd make a very good Mawloc, Trigon, or Tervigon (or however you spell them).

Kriegschmidt
19-01-2010, 15:30
I'm probably not going to use it as a Ravener, as I already have 6 of these. I'll make an EDIT above....

Additional info.: when it still had rules, the Red Terror was an S5, T5 Monstrous Creature; Heavy Support Choice.

If Chaos Daemons aren't your thing, it'd make a very good Mawloc, Trigon, or Tervigon (or however you spell them).

Needs to be something from Codex: Tyranids.

It's about a quarter of the size (half the height, etc.) of the Trygon/Mawloc, would people agree to that....?

Bolter Bait
19-01-2010, 15:55
Give it wings and use it as the Parasite. Other options would be to use it as Deathleaper with Hive Fleet Jormungandr DNA strains.

Thud
19-01-2010, 16:18
I think it'd be perfect as a Tyranid Prime.

Eulenspiegel
19-01-2010, 16:19
If you donīt have any Lictors yet, maybe use it as one of those? Or the Deathleaper?
Burrowing to count as the Lictorīs special deployment - Sounds fine.

Kriegschmidt
19-01-2010, 16:27
Sorry, update: I have 3 Lictors.

Parasite sounds good.... although the Parasite's not a Monstrous Creature.

Tyranid Prime could be a good plan....

Could it count as The Swarmlord? It has those four claws in a lovely pose, and The Swarmlord has his four extra-galactic blades....

Bolter Bait
19-01-2010, 16:35
Red Terror is one of those dinky-sized monstrous creatures, like the Avatar. It's awfully weedy to be a Swarmlord and would probably be better off as a non-MC, such as the Prime example.

xerxeshavelock
19-01-2010, 16:37
Deathleaper, easily. Not sure he's great value, but he's easily the most fun SC in the book. They even share the "Unknown Fear" vibe.

Grax
19-01-2010, 16:45
It's about a quarter of the size (half the height, etc.) of the Trygon/Mawloc, would people agree to that....?

Wha...really?! I had no idea the Trygons/Mawlocs were so huge. I mean, I've seen their pictures and figured they'd be significantly wider than the snake-like Red Terror, but I'm surprised that they're that much taller as well.

Here, let me google an image of a Trygon/Mawloc that's standing next to a normal model and OH MY GOD! RUN!!!

Raven Down
19-01-2010, 17:03
My Two Opinions,

Tyranid Prime

or Preferably

A Hive Tyrant with Wings and 2xPairs of Scything Talons (The Tail could be validated for the Increased speed)

Bookwrak
19-01-2010, 17:09
In 4th edition, I gave mine wings and used it as a dual-Talon Flyrant. I'm going to spiff up it's base with a few rippers and use it as either a Flyrant, or the Parasite.

LonelyPath
19-01-2010, 17:19
I'd go with a Tyranid Prime with 2 sets of scything talons.

TheShadowCow
19-01-2010, 17:36
Here, let me google an image of a Trygon/Mawloc that's standing next to a normal model and OH MY GOD! RUN!!!

It's an imposing model to say the least. Give it a few months and people will learn their limitations, but for now I think we Tyranid players can enjoy an element of "I'm just going to place this GIANT UNSTOPPABLE LOOKING KILLING MACHINE down here... and then another here... and the third one here... what? Are you alright? You're looking a little pale over there!" :p

Vexbane
19-01-2010, 17:45
Hello krieg I have one of these too and was thinking the same thing. I think it could make a cool parasite with wings and different body positioning try putting it on a flying base and add some bits.

Atyranind prime would be a decent choice with maybe a few bits thrown on for a duel scything talon model. However I think the prime is best with a lash whip/bonesword then something else imo.

Another good choice would be deathleaper. If I did not own that model too:) I would use it as that.

Souleater
19-01-2010, 17:50
I put wings on mine waaaay back as a small flyrant before I got one of the current HTs.

I agree that it would be a good prime or a parasite with a little conversion work.

Off topic: Deathleaper's three pairs of eyes really freak me out. I keep wanting to convert him to have three sets of those little round John Lennon sunglasses.

Raizer
19-01-2010, 18:50
Parasite or Harpy conversions I think would work.

tezza21
19-01-2010, 22:13
it would be intreasting to see a mawloc converted to be a red terror

MajorWesJanson
20-01-2010, 01:35
Parasite or Harpy conversions I think would work.

This.
Words for the word god.

Voss
20-01-2010, 03:01
Tyranid Prime or bung some wings on and call it the parasite.

Hellebore
20-01-2010, 03:06
Use it as a counts as 'burrowing' parasite. Burrowing 12" and flying 12" have mechanically very little difference.

Also, more interesting than just using a stock standard parasite.

It'd be fun to make a conjoined twin hive tyrant as a counts as swarm lord too...

Hellebore

Kriegschmidt
20-01-2010, 12:33
Thanks for the comments, chaps*!

Off topic: Deathleaper's three pairs of eyes really freak me out. I keep wanting to convert him to have three sets of those little round John Lennon sunglasses.

Haha, the Off-topic comments are always the best and this one made me laugh :D

Last night I did a bad thing. I pulled the Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon off my walking tyrant (he can't use them both together any more), then pulled the arms off my Red Terror and stuck them on the walking Tyrant, with some Green Stuff to secure them/make him look suitably "butch". The walking Tyrant is now The Swarmlord.

I bought a box of Warriors yesterday; I think I will use the spare weaponry to make the currently limbless Red Terror into a Tyranid Prime.

Or maybe a Parasite. Or Harpy. Argh, decisions, decisions....

*familiar persons of unascertained gender

Vexbane
23-01-2010, 05:50
They do reference in the book to rename the named characters to make them your own, which I thought was kinda cool. So This would be a perfect time to do that. Pick something deathleaper, parasite, Prime, etc.. (not harpy imo model is too small). and go to town. I think after further review a rending claw/scything talon prime would be really good. I plan on trying this out myself.

Clang
23-01-2010, 21:18
Tyranid Prime or DeathLeaper would seem the fluffiest options, but you may need to rip its existing arms off... :(

gamble
23-01-2010, 21:36
I made this red terror a while ago from a carnifex, my only tyranid model i have i was borred so i made him based on the picture in the collectors guide. If i was going to us him tho it would be a prime.

Vexbane
23-01-2010, 22:03
Wow that looks cool gamble. I would use that as a mawloc now.