PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Longbeards.

Davo
19-01-2010, 15:43
Hi all,

Seeing as the metal models are ridiculously expensive, would it be generally acceptable to most gamers to simply use models from the Dwarf Warriors boxed set and just paint their beards white? It suggests this in the Dwarf army book but I assume this is before they released the specific Longbeard miniatures.

Does anyone know if the Dwarf Warriors boxset still includes the masks that the army book suggests you use on Longbeards.

Thanks!

Gromdal
19-01-2010, 16:00
Seeing as the dwarf warrior models look alot better than the longbeards (in my opinion) I would say definitely.

Griefbringer
19-01-2010, 16:00
If I am not mistaken, the current dwarf longbeard models predate the army book by five years or so.

Gromdal
19-01-2010, 16:07
You are not mistaken

Jedi152
19-01-2010, 16:09
The current dwarf warriors boxed set is designed to be used as longbeards too - the gold masks are supposed to represent them.

The metal models are quite old (even if they do look awesome).

Davo
19-01-2010, 16:13
Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to hear! :)

TMATK
19-01-2010, 16:23
I could be wrong, but I though I read somewhere that the longbeard masks were no longer included. The entry on GW sites doesn't mention them.

Sand
19-01-2010, 16:31
The masks look a bit silly, imho. I just chose the models with the longest beards and put them in one unit. Then I'll paint their beards white and/or grey and call it a day.

Griefbringer
19-01-2010, 16:57
I could be wrong, but I though I read somewhere that the longbeard masks were no longer included.

I though those masks were on the same sprue as the rest of the bits, making it quite difficult to un-include them?

I am known to have been wrong at times, though.

TMATK
19-01-2010, 17:00
I though those masks were on the same sprue as the rest of the bits, making it quite difficult to un-include them?

I am known to have been wrong at times, though.

Ah, I think you're right. I was thinking of what I read in the dwarf overview here - http://www.warseer.com/warhammer_fantasy_armies_dwarfs

All core choices are available in plastic, though the metal Longbeards are being reissued due to the unpopularity of the plastic face mask versions.

snottlebocket
19-01-2010, 17:06
Just gather all the longer bearded models in one unit and away you go.

graymer
19-01-2010, 17:11
I love the metal Longbeards. They are pricey though if you don't have the ability to pay.

As others have said, you can easily create them from the Warriors box.

Griefbringer
19-01-2010, 17:21
Also, to make it even more obvious, whenever you deploy or move the longbeards, make sure to look grumpy and start muttering something about "them good olde times".

If a unit of regular warriors close to them breaks or fails a panic test, make sure to mutter something about "them weenie beardlings".

Kirth
19-01-2010, 17:28
I've taken this a step further and I am converting Warriors with Great Weapons to have Hammer Heads, ones I pulled from a bunch of Teutogen Guard I had laying around to represent my Hammerers.

(W)h(i)te Beards + Or(n)ate Hammer = (Win)

Malorian
19-01-2010, 17:33
I've also seen people just green stuff longer beards on the regular warriors, or others that just paint more gold on them.

Personally I go with the gold masks, and even though they look a little silly when you just look at one model, over the whole unit it doesn't look bad.

Davo
19-01-2010, 17:46
Also, to make it even more obvious, whenever you deploy or move the longbeards, make sure to look grumpy and start muttering something about "them good olde times".

If a unit of regular warriors close to them breaks or fails a panic test, make sure to mutter something about "them weenie beardlings".

I'll have to remember that!

Thanks for all the suggestions, not that I can't neccesarily afford, just I am loathe to spend 60 on what is a (admittedly upgraded) core unit of 15.

I love the game, but perhaps not that much! ;)

Red Metal
19-01-2010, 17:51
The masks work great to distinguish the Longbeards.

As mean as is sounds, just remember to trim alittle plastic off of the Dwarves face before gluing the masks on. I find that if you just glue the masks on without altering the face, they stick out too far and look silly. If you trim down the nose and stuff before, the masks sits further in and looks more like part of the helmet assembly.

GodSlayer
20-01-2010, 03:12
I find the mask went well on the faces.
But white/grey beards really makes the feel. Especially if all the other block (young warriors) have color beards.

Duke Georgal
20-01-2010, 04:15
I use the BFSP dwarfs as regular warriors, and the Dwarf Regiment warriors as longbeards. It works, because they have longer beards!

ChaosVC
20-01-2010, 06:53
I believe my friend is doing a long beard ranger unit with the plastic kits, its going to be awesome.

outbreak
20-01-2010, 07:55
I thought the masks looked odd too. I just painted mine with white beards and did their colour scheme similar but different (silver instead of golds, silver on parts that are normally blue, blue on silver parts of helmets.) Noones ever had any trouble telling them apart.

Malendil
20-01-2010, 17:14
I have noticed that the Longbeards (metal) along with Ironbreakers are no-longer available from independent online retailers. The GW Online shop has them listed there still.

Has this been discussed here? Does anyone know why the independent retailers are not selling these models anymore? Is there speculation that the models are being re-done?

UberBeast
20-01-2010, 17:24
Seeing as the dwarf warrior models look alot better than the longbeards (in my opinion) I would say definitely.

I love the metal longbeards. They aren't overly expensive to find on ebay either.

EOT
20-01-2010, 17:33
I have noticed that the Longbeards (metal) along with Ironbreakers are no-longer available from independent online retailers. The GW Online shop has them listed there still.

Has this been discussed here? Does anyone know why the independent retailers are not selling these models anymore? Is there speculation that the models are being re-done?

Maybe they just don't sell well. There's not much point carrying a product that only a few people want.